Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVB sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Any news if Spurs and in the Transfer Market in January?

Or will they try to get the best out of the team they just signed in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There's nowt wrong with the team, I think AVB might have lost the dressing room in some small quarters. Maybe they knew he was for the bullet, some were just coasting on Sunday.

He didn't help himself playing players out of position, inverted wingers? Never even heard of this term until recently? Dembele playing as a DM, just a waste of a talented creative player.

Vertonghen at LB, risking key players in the Europa League even though we qualified.

I didn't enjoy watching us this season, at any stage. It was a chore, I needed a drink in hand at all times. He was brought in to improve us from Redknapp? He's tactics weren't any better, true Redknapp was all out attack, and once he faced a team with 11 men behind the ball he was perplexed as to what to do. Well apt managers see past that...

AVB looked awestruck on Sunday as to what to do, he'd take forever to change tactics, while the opposition strolled in for another goal. The West Ham game was a sham. That game for me, that stings the most.

It's hard to know what to believe, and we'll never know as I'm sure a disclaimer was signed. So it's folklore.

Good luck to AVB, he's a good lad, nearly all wanted him to succeed. He'll have come away with a tidy severance package so he'll be okay over chrimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

the Irish Indo syndicate most of their Soccer articles from the British Press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Good luck to AVB, he's a good lad, nearly all wanted him to succeed. He'll have come away with a tidy severance package so he'll be okay over chrimbo.

If Jack the Ripper was manager of Spurs I'd want him to succeed. :D Being a good lad or not doesn't come into it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Utterly moronic decision.

You'd think they make more sense as time goes on but this one really doesn't.. I really believed in AVB, thought he would be the man to take us that step up to the top 3. Now we start all over again.

THFC wrote: »
    Utterly moronic decision.

You'd think they make more sense as time goes on but this one really doesn't.. I really believed in AVB, thought he would be the man to take us that step up to the top 3. Now we start all over again.

I really believed in Santa Claus too until I grew up.

He was a disaster who wouldn't change his ways so he wouldn't have turned it around. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and I'm glad we acted now eventhough I was advocating a change even before the City defeat.

Its not the 5's and 6's that were the problem it was the nils and the prospect of that changing anytime soon was non existent under this coach imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭oppiuy

golfball37 wrote: »

He was a disaster who wouldn't change his ways so he wouldn't have turned it around. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and I'm glad we acted now eventhough I was advocating a change even before the City defeat.

Its not the 5's and 6's that were the problem it was the nils and the prospect of that changing anytime soon was non existent under this coach imo.

Add to that, we were extremely painful to watch and it got to the point were for the first time in years i havent travelled to any games because i knew i wouldnt be entertained. Someone asked me would i take a league title by playing the way we are - Yes, of course i would but goals win leagues and we dont score any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

THFC wrote: »
    .. I really believed in AVB, thought he would be the man to take us that step up to the top 3.

I struggle to understand how people thought this! A disaster in english football and proved to be pretty clueless, improved his man management skills but maintained the high line defence that got him sacked in chelsea. We were going no where and fast.

• Advertisement

Wow, way to take such a patronising approach to my reply. Good man.
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    I struggle to understand how people thought this! A disaster in english football and proved to be pretty clueless, improved his man management skills but maintained the high line defence that got him sacked in chelsea. We were going no where and fast.
    A disaster in English football? I'm sorry, but what man are you talking about here? He went to Chelsea, was rebuilding the squad, but halfway through his first season they thought, no, in fact, we don't want you to do that.
    At Spurs he guided us to our highest ever points tally, 1 point off fourth, has the highest win percentage of any Spurs coach in 114 years and was 5 points of fourth when he got the sack. In the summer he was given £100m to build a squad, he did that, no what. We get in a new manager and start over?
    Last season he wanted Moutinho to replace Modric, who was the centrepiece of our team, what did Levy do? Haggled over £500,000 in and €31,000,000 deal. That's fcuking bullshít.

I am yet to see a reasonable argument put forward as to why he was sacked.
    This bollocks of saying the football wasn't good enough is just that, bollocks. We are in transition, with his fcuking team, and now he's gone. Joke shop decision.

And this high-line bullshít is another lazy attack on his tactics. The high-line has plenty of positives, and it suits teams that keep possession, like the Arsenals and the Barcelonas of this world. We keep possession. The only reason it's so "frowned upon" in this part of the world is because the PL is the most tactically depraved league in the world, and is pretty much summed up by the shíte pundits we regularly see on Sky and MOTD.

Good luck AVB, you were fcuking brilliant for us, it's a pity the chairman and fans didn't show more patience. I hope he turns out to be a resounding success at another club.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    If Jack the Ripper was manager of Spurs I'd want him to succeed. :D Being a good lad or not doesn't come into it for me.

I'm coming around to the same thoughts, couldn't care less who is in charge once they bring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A disaster in English football? I'm sorry, but what man are you talking about here?
    was on a run of 1 win in 7 games after they got ripped apart by Napoli, do you remember how shambolic they were? Got the sack after loing to west brom, the same squad then won the champions league.
    At Spurs he guided us to our highest ever points tally, 1 point off fourth

He guided us to fifth, having being previously fourth with a manager according to many on here didnt have a clue about tactics.
    has the highest win percentage of any Spurs coach in 114 years and was 5 points of fourth when he got the sack.

and had only scored 15 goals all season and in three weeks had been thumped 6 nil and 5 nil by our rivals for the champions league.

In the summer he was given £100m to build a squad, he did that, no what. We get in a new manager and start over?
    Last season he wanted Moutinho to replace Modric, who was the centrepiece of our team, what did Levy do? Haggled over £500,000 in and €31,000,000 deal. That's fcuking bullshít.

This bollocks of saying the football wasn't good enough is just that, bollocks. We are in transition, with his fcuking team, and now he's gone. Joke shop decision.
    And this high-line bullshít is another lazy attack on his tactics. The high-line has plenty of positives, and it suits teams that keep possession, like the Arsenals and the Barcelonas of this world. We keep possession. The only reason it's so "frowned upon" in this part of the world is because the PL is the most tactically depraved league in the world, and is pretty much summed up by the shíte pundits we regularly see on Sky and MOTD.

The only reason i frown upon the high line is because you need fast agile and technically gifted centre backs, playing Dawson in a high line is amazingly inept. The premier league may be tactically depraved, but even the tactically depraved west ham took us to the cleaners on the break because of our high line.

p.s. i doubt he will be a success anywhere. He was an excellent analyst for Mourhino, but not an excellent manager.

p.p.s How many games did we win last season when Bale hadnt scored? Was it 4?. His individual brilliance was largely responsible for the record points haul, not AVB. Lets not forget we also blew a 7 point lead over Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

mushykeogh wrote: »
    was on a run of 1 win in 7 games after they got ripped apart by Napoli, do you remember how shambolic they were? Got the sack after loing to west brom, the same squad then won the champions league.

He guided us to fifth, having being previously fourth with a manager according to many on here didnt have a clue about tactics.

and had only scored 15 goals all season and in three weeks had been thumped 6 nil and 5 nil by our rivals for the champions league.

In the summer he was given £100m to build a squad, he did that, no what. We get in a new manager and start over?

The only reason i frown upon the high line is because you need fast agile and technically gifted centre backs, playing Dawson in a high line is amazingly inept. The premier league may be tactically depraved, but even the tactically depraved west ham took us to the cleaners on the break because of our high line.

p.s. i doubt he will be a success anywhere. He was an excellent analyst for Mourhino, but not an excellent manager.

Even if he wasn't doing a good job (and in my mind he was) having no manager spells trouble for spurs. We still had a shot at the top four with AVB in charge, now with no manager we haven't a chance.

@mushykeogh Apologies for the rant, but I'm just still in a bloody rage over his sacking.

People think it was the right decision, like yourself, but I just don't agree. I'd argue it further but I'm bloody inundated with assignments and teaching practice is only around the corner. I'd hope that we can just agree to disagree and move on.

I just want to say that whatever happens I'll support the new manager. I think it's important that whoever it is supported will get the full support of the club (fans included). In a situation like this, regardless of who is appointed, I think he'll being going into a very tough situation.
    It was hard to see a small, yet sizeable, proportion of the fans so against AVB since the start of his tenure. They shut up pretty quickly but were just as quick to stick the knife in when things didn't go so well. I think that what annoyed me the most. It was disgraceful, and the pro-Arry media are the people most responsible for this.
    I just hope that doesn't happen with the new manager.

Oh, I will never forget this;
    iXJI4nxmxVfaF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I really did not want to see AVB sacked at least until he was given another couple of months to improve things. The fact is he is now gone and thats that. No point crying over spilled milk, he's gone whether we agree or not.
    It still has been the most exciting three or four years as a spurs fan I can remember. Sometimes sh1t happens and works out for the best. Hopefully this is the case here.

Come on the Yids.

Jesus, I've only just heard AVB's post match interview after the Liverpool match. Sounds like he talked himself out of a job. First he emphasises that this is a 'top 4' squad, suggesting it is his fault. Second, he emphasises the 6-0, 3-0 and 5-0 losses a number of times by his own admission.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2525158/Premier-League-manager-compensation-Including-Andre-Villas-Boas-Jose-Mourinho-Luiz-Felipe-Scolari-Kenny-Dalglish-Roberto-Mancini-Roy-Hodgson.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

^^^
    Hadn't seen that either. Talk of him going to manage in France possibly next season, hope he's successful wherever he goes.

Interesting quote from this article....
    Yesterday morning, he held a meeting with Levy and Baldini at which Villas-Boas was asked to integrate Lamela into the first team and modify his approach to address a lack of goals that have contributed to the team’s seventh-place position. The Portuguese declined and he was sacked.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tim-sherwood-will-go-on-the-attack-but-he-wont-fall-out-with-daniel-levy-9010128.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, he was the manager. I'd have told them both to **** right off if they told me to change my tactics. Right or wrong, they were his tactics to pick.

Levy and Baldini seem to want to actually coach the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Behind Brettell (1898-1899) and Turner (1942-1946), AVB is ranked as our third best manager based on win percentage. We just mugged ourselves. I can't wait to hear this guys side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Behind Brettell (1898-1899) and Turner (1942-1946), AVB is ranked as our third best manager based on win percentage. We just mugged ourselves. I can't wait to hear this guys side of the story.

Nice stat, he should have got longer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Guaranteed we wouldn't have lost against west gam tonight with AVB in charge! This was down to Levy he picked the team Sherwood carried out his instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Guaranteed we wouldn't have lost against west gam tonight with AVB in charge! This was down to Levy he picked the team Sherwood carried out his instructions!

I don't know about that, sure they already beat us with AVB in charge! We'll never know and although I thought the same thing initially, I reminded myself of the results we've already had with AVB at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't know about that, sure they already beat us with AVB in charge! We'll never know and although I thought the same thing initially, I reminded myself of the results we've already had with AVB at the helm.

Yeah but he had been doing well in cup competitions with Spurs, so I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that we would have won this, I think that is why Levy pulled the trigger before this game as it would have been harder to justify AVB's sacking if we had got to the semi's in this!

Losing 2-1 and actually looking like scoring for 20 mins was a marked improvement on the last time we played West Ham at home.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Losing 2-1 and actually looking like scoring for 20 mins was a marked improvement on the last time we played West Ham at home.

Onwards and upwards.
    That sounds ridiculous but its so true!

We are second in the league based on away form. If only we could have got a few more points from the home fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

that would indicate that all AVB had to do was play a different (more offensive) tactic at home and we'd all be sitting pretty this xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

"We were extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season, but felt we had to do so in the club's best interests. We have a great squad and we owe them a head coach who will bring out the best in them and allow them to flourish and enjoy a strong, exciting finish to the season." Levy

I think AVB had lost the dressing room. Ade & BAE first, the Moussa & Vertz, then the rest. Freund too.

I think Gary Neville hit the nail on the head,. He wasn't given enough time to do the job he was appointed to do, but whether he should have ever been given the job in the first place is a bigger question.

Advertisement