Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain vs Royal Canin?

• 16-12-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have a 6-month lab and have had him on Royal Canin Lab Retriever since we got him. Saw Gain being sold the other day though and it seemed much better value. How do these two products compare?
    RC Link
    Gain Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The issue of food/brands is hugely and frequently discussed on here.
    I havent used R.C. but I know the knowegable types on here dont think much of it.
    Is cost an issue? There are MANY other brands of dog food that would be HUGELY better quality than R.C. or GAIN. Have a search for the many threads here for recommendations - Arden Grange, Burns, Eden, and many many more are good brands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 judge_dredd

eukenuba is a good brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

RC is only ok.. Eucanuba and gain not great. james wellbeloved. arden grange burns eden lukullus are your best bets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

smilerf wrote: »
    RC is only ok.. Eucanuba and gain not great. james wellbeloved. arden grange burns eden lukullus are your best bets

The newer range of Gain smalldogs or largedogs is actually very good. I know lots of people who use it & are very happy with it.

I used Burns & it was hard to keep weight on my really active dogs. JWB was only ok. Nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I have four dogs of various sizes/breeds on Gain Retired Greyhound food - €14.50 for 15kg. Used to feed them RC but it gave my Boxer the runs. No problems whatsoever with Gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I use burns too as their main meal - they also get veg and natural meat treats - I've had most sucess with burns, shiny coats etc. It was on a vet reccommendation when raw fed puppy came to me with serious diahrea - although it's all a bit of a minefield, once a vet reccommended propac but my two senior dogs put on lots of weight very rapidly realised it was bulked out with maize. It can be trial and error and then of course balancing the pocket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try the Gain and see how he gets on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I know this has most likely been covered before but has anyone tried or is anyone using:

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/Pet_Connection_Salmon___Potato_Dog_Food_15kg.html

Since birth I have had my Lab on Red Mills with no issues but interested in this food if it is any good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

logik wrote: »
    I know this has most likely been covered before but has anyone tried or is anyone using:

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/Pet_Connection_Salmon___Potato_Dog_Food_15kg.html

Since birth I have had my Lab on Red Mills with no issues but interested in this food if it is any good.
    For that price it's definitely good; the maize and beet pulp is the two downsides (risk for allergic reaction) but they quite a bit down the list (relatively speaking) which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Nody wrote: »
    For that price it's definitely good; the maize and beet pulp is the two downsides (risk for allergic reaction) but they quite a bit down the list (relatively speaking) which is good.

Thanks

That is what I was thinking, maybe you can merge this thread with "Cost Saving Food Types & Tips"

• Advertisement
Advertisement