Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off work on stress leave - tips to get in frame of mind to go back in

Options
  • 16-12-2013 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

I'm in a middle management role in a large institution which has undergone huge change in recent months. The change has resulted in drastically reduced staff numbers and every deteriorating customer service. We got a new manager who was a total bully for about 6 months until he was reported by someone else.

I started to suffer tummy problems over the summer and sand escalated to chest pain and I've had tests done and all back clear. The lack of sleep, chest pain and stress came to a head and I went to the doctor who signed me off for the last 3 weeks and for the next month.

Has anyone come back from this and how do you do it? The longer I'm off the harder it seems to get back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

CaraMay wrote: »
    I'm in a middle management role in a large institution which has undergone huge change in recent months. The change has resulted in drastically reduced staff numbers and every deteriorating customer service. We got a new manager who was a total bully for about 6 months until he was reported by someone else.

I started to suffer tummy problems over the summer and sand escalated to chest pain and I've had tests done and all back clear. The lack of sleep, chest pain and stress came to a head and I went to the doctor who signed me off for the last 3 weeks and for the next month.

Has anyone come back from this and how do you do it? The longer I'm off the harder it seems to get back.

From my experience it doesn't just happen..
    See if there is a counselling service in your locality..

I saw a counselor who also did life coaching. Its not quick or easy but you can get there..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

bbam wrote: »
    From my experience it doesn't just happen..
    See if there is a counselling service in your locality..

I saw a counselor who also did life coaching. Its not quick or easy but you can get there..

I'm going to be doing 4 hours free telephone counselling starting tomorrow through our work service. Am in queue for local counsellor but that could take ages.

I feel bad as my other colleagues are even more swamped now and it's not like I have a physical issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I feel bad as my other colleagues are even more swamped now and it's not like I have a physical issue.

So you're faking it then?

Mental health is as serious, if not more serious, than 'physical' illnesses especially if it's got to the point that your body is telling you there is something wrong by manifesting as tummy and chest pain.

Get yourself right, worry about your health first and get some help in managing stress. If you're stressed because the business is about to fail then unfortunately that's something that happens, many businesses turn in on themselves before they go hurting many of the employees more than if they just went gracefully. Bear in mind the senior managers and directors probably haven't taken on much more work or much of a pay cut.

I went through a similar situation, I would have had a very low tolerance for people out with 'stress'. You then go through it yourself and understand.

Recover soon, recover well and do what you need to to make yourself happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Thanks I guess I just figured I would never be out with stress. I've had horrendous times in the last few years and got through them but the constant pressure, complaining customers and inability to give them the service I want (would know some customers outside of work) day in day out has knocked me more than the other personal issues I've had. I've worked for 20 years and always gotten on with it. Then it was like brung hit with a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Thanks I guess I just figured I would never be out with stress. I've had horrendous times in the last few years and got through them but the constant pressure, complaining customers and inability to give them the service I want (would know some customers outside of work) day in day out has knocked me more than the other personal issues I've had. I've worked for 20 years and always gotten on with it. Then it was like brung hit with a train.

Thats exactly the way I felt. It's amazing the importance we attach to our jobs. I've dealt with may share of personal issues, but nothing is more soul destroying than sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning taking 15 minutes to put a sock on because you know what ahead of you.

The issue (for me at least) then becomes the frustration of not being able to do anything. Knowing there's a better way to do something, knowing it will be more profitable for the company but not being able to do it as the management above you are desperately trying to justify their jobs.

Customers going bananas as policies change to penny pinch which ultimately leads to them leaving, which you then get the blame for. Employees in a similar boat, you start to lose all your good people to be replaced with dolts who you then spend hours cleaning up after, which only adds to the massive pressure you're already under.

Trust me, you'll come out the otherside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

Its the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back! bepolite is correct, you will come out the other side, but you need to be mentally strong, there is no point in taking time off for stress leave, and then spend it worrying about the job! I have been there, taken the odd day here and there through work related stress, and found that it stressed me out even more, and I spent the day worrying excessively about what I would have to face the following day.... perhaps it is time for a change of job, or career?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Firstly.. it's not big deal coming back, the fact is you'll come in and people will say hello and 15 mins later they'll be too busy getting on with their work.
    Maybe you can come in before everyone else so its less daunting than you walking into a room full of people, you see them one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Some excellent advice here OP.
    H
    You need to get yourself right, concentrate on that. Most jobs will be stressful at times, with help you can try to build some coping mechanisms or understand how to remove yourself from situations that cause stress. Best of luck

Advertisement