Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Have you not been following the news for the last week? Capped for the next few years.

For future reference, don't give LL your PPSN in the future. She should not have asked for it and should not be applying on your behalf
    Thanks, I didn't know whether that counted towards the allowance or not!

I am pretty upset about her doing that, was nearly sure she wasn't allowed, I have no idea how we'll check in online or anything as you seem to need a number to sign in with. Not impressed by any of it :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For future reference, don't give LL your PPSN in the future.

For the record it is entirely valid for a landlord to seek their tenant's PPSNs for completing registration of a tenancy agreement with the PRTB- or if a tenant is seeking a landlord to complete any form of rent subsidization form- it would also require their PPSN. There are several reasons a landlord might seek a PPSN from a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Aren't they also used in the PRTB registration? It's a new tenancy, the landlord may be in the process of registering there too.

Actually, you're right. I forgot that. My bad.

But they shouldn't be registering for Irish water on tenants behalf - although I can see why they would want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Actually, you're right. I forgot that. My bad.

But they shouldn't be registering for Irish water on tenants behalf - although I can see why they would want to.

The pack I got doesn't allow for the LL to sign on behalf of the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

emeldc wrote: »
    The pack I got doesn't allow for the LL to sign on behalf of the tenant.

I asked for her to send the pack to us and we actually were going to sign up but she refused and said the deadline was looming and I corrected her and told her that it was extended until the end of November (this was about 2-3 week's ago) and she completely ignored that and said she was going to sign us up online. Obviously doesn't trust us so I don't know why she leased the house to us in the first place. Anyway since she signed us up online we can't log in or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Boo2112 wrote: »
    I asked for her to send the pack to us and we actually were going to sign up but she refused and said the deadline was looming and I corrected her and told her that it was extended until the end of November (this was about 2-3 week's ago) and she completely ignored that and said she was going to sign us up online. Obviously doesn't trust us so I don't know why she leased the house to us in the first place. Anyway since she signed us up online we can't log in or anything.

Isnt the deadline now somewhere around early February 2015, I think they pushed it out so far in the hope people will cool off and not make them look like idiots threatening people and continually pushing it out, making them look as ineffectual as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi

Looking for some help, have a query on the Water Conservation Grant which is being proposed but cant seem to find much info on it.

Basically we will be charged for water from January. I have only water in to pay for as i have a septic tank, so the max i will pay will be €130 as two adults in the house. I have two kids, is there an allowance for them that comes off the €130??
    Also I would be hoping to conserve as much water as possible in order to not reach the €130 ( which is about 72,000 litres roughly ) ceiling anyway and should get a rebate once my meter is read. So my query is, if i get allowance for kids and also reach my targets of conserving water, then once i get the water conservation grant ( which from what i read is available to everyone principal residence ) then is there a chance i can actually come out at the end of the year paying nothing or actually gaining money? Just wondering as i cant get my head around it??

Thanks
    Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll get 100 - as far as I know if you're under the cap you will eventually get the money back and only pay for use going forward but with all the date changes I don't know when.

It was mentioned that certain users will end up making money as you suggest but it won't be many

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Sorry for appearing stupid but there's been so much written about this....can someone clarify the latest situation on water charges? I know they're happening, but exactly when are they starting and initially how much will I have to pay and when? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

http://www.water.ie/customer-applications/charges/

Irish Water wishes to inform domestic customers of the new charges that will now be applied for public water services from 1 January 2015.

Water services charges are now capped at a maximum annual amount until the end of 2018.

There will be a water conservation grant of €100 per year which you may apply for if you have registered your primary residence with Irish Water.

The grant will be administered by the Department of Social Protection and further details on when applications can be made to them will be announced later in the year.

Billing will start from April 2015 and bills will normally be issued quarterly.

Water services for children are still free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi All

Have a query in relation to the charges. So I checked my meter and for the last 3 months I have only used 5000 litres. Now we are very religious in water conservation and the need to not waste water. This is well below the average and i am deligthed. However how does this effect my costs. So from what I can see I will pay €130. ( have septic tank ). If i register with IW I will recieve €100 back. And going by the charges per 1000 litres, mine would be €1.85 x 5 x 4 quarters so yearly €37. Is this correct so far. In that event do I then get a rebate from IW of €97 at the end of the year provising usage stays around the same?? This does not sound right to me however this is how i read it on the website.

Any help would be great?

Regards
    JB

Thanks for that...just what I needed to know.
    Having said that, there's no date on the page, so does 'later in the year' re the allowance applications mean 2014 or 2015?
    And if it's 'later' in 2015, will I have to pay a higher amount in April prior to the 100 euro concession being applied?
    (Still vague areas.....How much did Irish Water pay consultants btw?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tony glenn wrote: »
    Thanks for that...just what I needed to know.
    Having said that, there's no date on the page, so does 'later in the year' re the allowance applications mean 2014 or 2015?
    And if it's 'later' in 2015, will I have to pay a higher amount in April prior to the 100 euro concession being applied?
    (Still vague areas.....How much did Irish Water pay consultants btw?)

Just for clarity. The concession, as you put it, is not from Irish water. It is a grant from the dept of social protection. You will pay IW the full amount. The grant is to be paid in September.

Thanks, now it all makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property for merging into the main water charges thread.

dudara

Does anyone have an email address for Irish Water Customer Service?

I know they have a contact us page but I'm looking for a direct email if possible.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I know they have a contact us page but I'm looking for a direct email if possible.

Thanks

The only direct form is a letter (postal address on their contact page) or ringing them, otherwise you must email them via their online submission facility (the contact us online enquiry).

Was on the phone to them today and they game me an email address, I doubted I had written it down correctly as having sent them an email, I didn't receive an auto response. Just thought I'd check if anyone else had an email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Thanks

Customerservice@water.ie

garhjw wrote: »

Thanks very much. That's what I wrote down but thought I'd made an error, I had myself convinced the email address would end in @irishwater.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

I live with two other people in a shared house and I pay the bills from my bank account. I don't think they'll be paying the water charges so where do I stand? I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has anyone actually registered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Ah that's not fair. Its all shared, and if it comes out of your bank account.

Wheather you agree or not, its too late once the bill comes and you signed up. You can't leave a whole bill on one person. Its €65 from jan-mar, works out to be €22 each.

What I would like to know is people moving on from a house share during this period? If they don't pay up, if someone else moves in at the end of February or start of March, do they cough up for the person who moved out.

I haven't registered. I was on about other bills in the house. Thats the uncertainty for me with the comings and goings. How do you sort out who owes what. I just can't see myself signing up. Its a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

up4dabah wrote: »
    I haven't registered. I was on about other bills in the house. Thats the uncertainty for me with the comings and goings. How do you sort out who owes what. I just can't see myself signing up. Its a shambles.

All names on the lease equally?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have had no forms sent but my ll is very bad at paperwork and if they have sent the forms there I might never see them again ,or he thinks that because it is a private well here no need to bother. so I emailed them yesterday via the web site and had a reply that I would be contacted within five working days.

All names on the lease equally?
    Ya there's 3 names on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

up4dabah wrote: »
    Ya there's 3 names on the lease.

Landlord will need to appoint someone who agrees to take ownership of this or handle it themselves if no one wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Seeing as it is looking like the landlord is going to be held responsible for tenants water bills can non registration and payment be used as a grounds for eviction ? . deposit is there for damages, what if there are damages and also unpaid water bills ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Seeing as it is looking like the landlord is going to be held responsible for tenants water bills can non registration and payment be used as a grounds for eviction ? . deposit is there for damages, what if there are damages and also unpaid water bills ?

Presumably there will be a separate deposit- to cover the charges for water bills- if the tenants are unwilling to register. It also means of course, that tenants won't qualify for the 'water conservation grant' (whoever came up with that lickarse description for the government bribery scheme- deserves a promotion).

Irish Water have stated that their preferred course of action is to register each tenant, as they enter the system, with their own unique water account- and the account would follow the tenant as they moved to different abodes (aka it would be associated with the tenant rather than the property). The assumption is that landlords will supply their tenant details for these shenanigans- on the basis that if they don't- they will be held personally responsible for the bills- should the tenant not register..........

Its amazing its been allowed develop into this mess.

Advertisement