Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

i received the first bill online today of €64.10, for a couple. Is this correct amount after the benefit discount?

That is the first quarter bill. No discount has been added. You claim back the €100 from the Dept of Social Protection later in the year, as long as you have registered and paid your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Here is the screen shot. I can't view the pdf bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

64.10 is correct for un-metered 2 adults for 3 months receiving water supply and mains Sewage

32.05 if you only receive water and you have a septic tank etc

Okay. So that's make 254€ per year. And is there any discount on it?
    dvdman1 wrote: »
    64.10 is correct for un-metered 2 adults for 3 months receiving water supply and mains Sewage

32.05 if you only receive water and you have a septic tank etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

was everyone's not 64.10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

No but because you registered you can apply for the water conservation grant of e100.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€100 social department grant thing which brings it down IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Moonbeam wrote: »
    was everyone's not 64.10?

Unless they used less than that value of water in metered charges or are in one adult house holds.

E.g. if two adults use less than 17,324 litres per quarter or a two adults and one child use less than 22,574 litres then they'd be charged a lower amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's 160 pa for a single-adult household.

It's 260 pa for all other households.

Then the 100 grant is a separate payment, claimed off DSP later in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I wanted to wipe my arse with it, but my landlord is putting the squeeze on me to register... stuck between a rock and a hard place now, have been living here for years and get on great with the landlord but this is putting a strain on it.... i break even with wages vs outgoings every month at the moment so this extra tax is just something i can't afford... €100 grant is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering if i register they have me by the balls and will take it from my wages... meaning that some other bill won't get paid. This bill arrived in at exactly the right time too... Reduction in my wages, rent increased 3 months ago and just had a baby all within the first quarter of this year.

Go Ireland! hell of a place to exist!!

H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Heathen wrote: »
    I wanted to wipe my arse with it, but my landlord is putting the squeeze on me to register... stuck between a rock and a hard place now, have been living here for years and get on great with the landlord but this is putting a strain on it.... i break even with wages vs outgoings every month at the moment so this extra tax is just something i can't afford... €100 grant is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering if i register they have me by the balls and will take it from my wages... meaning that some other bill won't get paid. This bill arrived in at exactly the right time too... Reduction in my wages, rent increased 3 months ago and just had a baby all within the first quarter of this year.

Go Ireland! hell of a place to exist!!

H
    It is no business of your landlords whether or not you register or indeed pay! they can never become liable for your debt!

How can I apply for this 100 euro grant please?? And when can I claim it back?
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    No but because you registered you can apply for the water conservation grant of e100.

How can I apply for this 100 euro grant please?? And when can I claim it back?
    You are supposed to apply through the department of social protection but they are not processing anything until they get extra staff and resources which is understandable! (it is like Irish Water and several ministers thought that the social welfare people would work on this for free!)

If the department of social Brutanity protection ever get the green light it will most likely be 2017 or later before rebates start to issue, just in time for a massive hike in water taxes!

As a landlord with tenants you do not need to worry about water charges because your tenants are 100% liable even if they never pay! Irish Water will never be allowed to charge you for someone else's debt! that would be unconstitutional. All the talk of putting liens on property etc is just ministerial bull claptrap to try to make you pay your tenants debts or at least threaten to evict tenants who don't pay up front or on time etc.
    This stuff from Irish Water has left the door wide open for Cowboy landlords to exploit the situation created by government ministers and Irish water and to charge exorbitant fees for water in their properties!

As a tenant you should pay what you owe but are unlikely to be chased to the ends of the earth for water charges by Irish Water.. Bills will issue with reminders then threatening letters then threats of debt collectors etc, the exact same as any other utility company(gas, electric, telephone, broadband).

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is no business of your landlords whether or not you register or indeed pay! they can never become liable for your debt!

The fact landlords are automatically registered and billed unless a tenant registers makes it very much their business.

When I rang to register my LL had already been automatically registered so I had to unregister him first and then register myself.

The fact landlords are automatically registered and billed unless a tenant registers makes it very much their business.

When I rang to register my LL had already been automatically registered so I had to unregister him first and then register myself.

When a landlord gets a bill which is not theirs because they have a tenant in that property they simply ring or email Irish Water and tell them that the property is occupied by tenants and they are not responsible for the bill! The data protection commissioner has stated that it is fine for a landlord to give the tenant's name to Irish Water and the start date of the tenancy but no other details should be given.

once a landlord does this simple thing they are no longer in any way responsible or liable for bills in their tenants names!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Mine wasn't automatically registered. He got two letters, one for his residence, one for mine. He just passed it on to me. Might vary by local authority, I suppose.

A friend received the bill by post today. His family include 2 adults and 2 childrens, and the bill they got is 64.12 euros. Whereas I have to pay 64.10 euros for 2 adults only. Is this correct?
    Also I saw protest against water bills...so not sure if people are going to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

A friend received the bill by post today. His family include 2 adults and 2 childrens, and the bill they got is 64.12 euros. Whereas I have to pay 64.10 euros for 2 adults only. Is this correct?
    Also I saw protest against water bills...so not sure if people are going to pay...

Irish Water have a website that has FAQ on billing -
    https://www.water.ie/billing-and-charges/billing/billing-explained/
    https://www.water.ie/billing-and-charges/billing/understand-your-bill/
    https://www.water.ie/billing-and-charges/charges/

Mod Note: there is to be no talk or advice on non payment of bills here

Thanks Morrigan. Everything is clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

foggy_lad wrote: »

An environmentally conscious landlord may well want to encourage their tenants to recycle more, use less water, be energy efficient etc - and I don't see any problem with this.

Registering for what will eventually be consumption-based water-charging is simply part of this. (It's unfortunate that they're starting with flat-rate charging, but I can see why it's a necessary interim step.)

Mod Note: Please keep to the topic of Water bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Landlord as stated just call IW and give tenants name

An environmentally conscious landlord may well want to encourage their tenants to recycle more, use less water, be energy efficient etc - and I don't see any problem with this.

Registering for what will eventually be consumption-based water-charging is simply part of this. (It's unfortunate that they're starting with flat-rate charging, but I can see why it's a necessary interim step.)

Mod Note: Please keep to the topic of Water bills.

That kind of interference could very easily be interpreted as the landlord denying their tenants peaceful enjoyment and occupation of the property.

It is of no concern of anyone including the Landlord what bills their tenants pay or whether or not they actually register. as stated the landlord simply has to inform Irish Water that there are tenants in the property and the date they have been there from. Anything else may fall foul of Data protection , the PRTB and the Residential Tenancies Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I didn't realise the water bills were going to be so high going by what people have posted here. We got ours by email on Friday - €26.40 for the quarter, one child allowance. And the meter was read and we get both services water and waste. We're not exactly stingy with our water, we didn't change our pattern of consumption when the charges came in - we said we would carry on as normal and see what the first bill was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I registered in the house share I am renting in. But my landlord put through I bill sent to them. Is there a chance we are double registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I didn't realise the water bills were going to be so high going by what people have posted here. We got ours by email on Friday - €26.40 for the quarter, one child allowance. And the meter was read and we get both services water and waste. We're not exactly stingy with our water, we didn't change our pattern of consumption when the charges came in - we said we would carry on as normal and see what the first bill was like.

This is the reason I WANT a meter. We are very water conscious, we collect rainwater, have done for decades. I'm confident our bill would be extremely low if we were metered. This average bill thing stinks. I'm going to be charged for Mr and Mrs Wasty McWasteful down the road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

26.40 is extremely low usage compared to the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I got the first bill for our house as well.

What's a rough normal usage you'd expect in a household per adult?

In terms of average water usage, we're 4 adult males renting in a house, we used a volume of 31.952m³ water. It's broken down on the bill as Water supplied: 31.952m³ and Water removed: 31.952m³

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

L1011 wrote: »
    26.40 is extremely low usage compared to the average.

Agreed but not complaining. Our usage in the quarter was 12.312m3 according to the bill. Allowance of 5.178m3. Billed for 7.134m3 at €1.85 x 2 water & waste. 2 adults and one child. Showers for 3 of us. Wash machine 3 times per week. Dishwasher 4 times per week. Cooking, drinking water (using britta filter), 3 toilets in the house. We are all out at work/ school/ childminder all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

No sign of one yet thank the gods

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usage stated as 21.338 cubic metres.
    Would appreciate seeing other people's usage to compare.
    Two adults, two showers a day. Fairly careful with water use (no running taps etc.).

Advertisement