Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

pwurple wrote: »
    7 euro for 6 people. Wow. Good going on conservation.

Are you guys out all the time?

2 of the 7 days there would be no one there until 6/7 that evening. Otherwise, husband gone to work 5 days until 6, 2 kids in school until 3 & other 2 in preschool till 12. We would be conscious of what we're using but not overly so since they capped the fees. I would think our kids allowance really kept it down. I would be worried we'll get a stinker of a bill next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

I got my first quarterly bill today, 2-person household, semi-detached house.

We have a meter and our usage was lower than anticipated, so we are well below the cap. The bill was for just over €47 - which means that the meter will save us about €72 this year if we keep going like this.

We have a water butt out the back, we use that for watering our many houseplants, but other than that we are not overly frugal... we do shower regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

thats really good. i am unmetered but still have to pay 64 euros :( However I am sure we use less water...
    pyxxel wrote: »
    I got my first quarterly bill today, 2-person household, semi-detached house.

We have a meter and our usage was lower than anticipated, so we are well below the cap. The bill was for just over €47 - which means that the meter will save us about €72 this year if we keep going like this.

We have a water butt out the back, we use that for watering our many houseplants, but other than that we are not overly frugal... we do shower regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

thats really good. i am unmetered but still have to pay 64 euros :( However I am sure we use less water...

Yes well my thought has always been that metering is simply the fairest way to go... but mind you, as it stands our water rates are very heavily subsidised still. Friends of mine in Britain pay 30 Pound Sterling per month, for 2 people - that's about 3 times what I pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

However I am sure we use less water...

and this is the problem with unmetered water.
    pyxxel wrote: »
    Yes well my thought has always been that metering is simply the fairest way to go... but mind you, as it stands our water rates are very heavily subsidised still. Friends of mine in Britain pay 30 Pound Sterling per month, for 2 people - that's about 3 times what I pay!

im amazed how blinded many irish people are over the water charge. this is a great idea in regards water conservation but it must be metered in order to work properly. many people are conscience of this and behave accordingly but i do understand where the resistance is coming from. people should be demanding such things as free healthcare and education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    and this is the problem with unmetered water.

im amazed how blinded many irish people are over the water charge. this is a great idea in regards water conservation but it must be metered in order to work properly. many people are conscience of this and behave accordingly but i do understand where the resistance is coming from. people should be demanding such things as free healthcare and education.

Yes unmetered service is not going to have any influence on people who are wasting large quantities (they will just pay the capped bill and ignore their actual usage). It might influence people who around the cap and try to go below, but on the other hand there are probably thousands of properties which have water leaks withing the premises and for which there is no strong financial impact if the owner doesn't fix the leaks.

But at least with this first bill people who are very conscious about their usage and have a meter are getting some type of reward.

Bob24 wrote: »
    But at least with this first bill people who are very conscious about their usage and have a meter are getting some type of reward.

thats true i guess but this whole water thing has been very badly managed from day one. theres just enormous resistance now to the whole thing that will benefit us all in the long run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I got no bill, and never got any registration letters either. i'm not registered but not because I am that against it, merely I got no information about it combined with laziness.

I got no bill, and never got any registration letters either. i'm not registered but not because I am that against it, merely I got no information about it combined with laziness.

hahaha that wont 'wash' with irish water im afraid

The billing cycle is not finished (they are spreading bills over 3 months).
    If you are a owner occupier you will most likely receive a bill, and if you are a tenant your landlord will get one.

• Advertisement

The billing cycle is not finished (they are spreading bills over 3 months).
    If you are a owner occupier you will most likely receive a bill, and if you are a tenant your landlord will get one.

bills will be coming alright. no hiding from this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Once you get your meter in if you continue to use less you will get a rebate of the overpayment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hahaha that wont 'wash' with irish water im afraid

I have been unable to register as every time I try to register it asks me for a code off a welcome pack which I never received. Why should I ring this useless collection of civil servants who have been dumped into Irish water just because they can't to their jobs properly?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have been unable to register as every time I try to register it asks me for a code off a welcome pack which I never received. Why should I ring this useless collection of civil servants who have been dumped into Irish water just because they can't to their jobs properly?

your right. dont bother with it then

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adub

I got my first bill. It was metered and about €30. There's two in our household and were pretty good at only using necessary water. According to their website details about the conservation grant will come out in July and it'll be paid out in September. So if my bills are 30 every 3 months I'll only be out of pocket about €20 after receiving the grant. Not too bad I don't think

adub wrote: »
    I got my first bill. It was metered and about €30. There's two in our household and were pretty good at only using necessary water. According to their website details about the conservation grant will come out in July and it'll be paid out in September. So if my bills are 30 every 3 months I'll only be out of pocket about €20 after receiving the grant. Not too bad I don't think

thats great. looking forward to getting the meter in. id say i ll be shocked what we re using

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

Received first bill yesterday E64.12 however upon closer inspection had it not been capped the bill was E444.22 water used 120m3!! I live in a rented apartment with my partner so figured this was a crazy amount of water to have used in 3 months. Rang Irishwater and they advised me its a leak somewhere so I need to do some investigation inside the property before they will initiate their first fix free policy. Can can no source of leak in the apartment (leaky cistern, or water tank ect ) so they advised leaks are being looked at on a priority basis and they will be in touch with me. Any one else in similar situation?

pk10216 wrote: »
    however upon closer inspection had it not been capped the bill was E444.22 water used 120m3!!

jesus thats a scary bill. some serious investigating required

jesus thats a scary bill. some serious investigating required

And this is why meters are a good thing. Not the poster's fault really, but until now taxpayers have been paying for 900 euros worth of water per year due to a leak in their appartement.

Btw @pk10216, I though Irish Water could't install meters in appartements as there usually isn't one clear pipe going in per apartment. Are you living in a very recent building?

And this is why meters are a good thing. Not the poster's fault really, but until now taxpayers have been paying for 900 euros worth of water per year due to a leak in their appartement.

agree. jasus im wondering what our pre adjusted bill will be now. i suspect i wont be too happy with it. wondering if we have any leaks here

• Advertisement

Btw @pk10216, I though Irish Water could't install meters in appartements as there usually isn't one clear pipe going in per apartment. Are you living in a very recent building?

Built around 2006 as far as I know, ground floor apartments with duplex above each had a water meter installed late last year. You mention its not really my fault, but this is in no way our fault and the leak could well be located between the meter and the property in which case its Irishwaters responsibility otherwise its somewhere in the property and its the landlords issue to resolve. Without a meter this continuous leak of water would have continued indefinitely as they would be no way of telling

agree. jasus im wondering what our pre adjusted bill will be now. i suspect i wont be too happy with it. wondering if we have any leaks here

There must be many leads out there, but still I think you can assume most properties are fine and you should be OK:-)

I am quite curious to know our usage though ... I think we are fairly reasonable with water but it would be interesting to know if hard numbers can confirm this.

I am quite curious to know our usage though ... I think we are fairly reasonable with water but it would be interesting to know if hard numbers can confirm this.

unfortunately we dont have a meter yet and i think there will be trouble during installation but the installers are getting closer to us. i know we re fairly heavy users.... must hide that power washer!

Built around 2006 as far as I know, ground floor apartments with duplex above each had a water meter installed late last year. You mention its not really my fault, but this is in no way our fault and the leak could well be located between the meter and the property in which case its Irishwaters responsibility otherwise its somewhere in the property and its the landlords issue to resolve. Without a meter this continuous leak of water would have continued indefinitely as they would be no way of telling

Intersting, maybe because they are lower floor apartements.

And yes, absolutely not blaming you in any way. Whether it is inside the appartement or on the IW pipe, if it is not an obvious leak and you didn't eve know about it there is obviously nothing you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adub

Our intake and output of water was about 8m3 in comparison so that's huge difference! Thank god they capped it though!

i do think the leakage problem is going to become a major headache for everybody. sure who could afford to fix such leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

So, we received our first bill today.

Two adults, 3 kids - normal 3 bed semi.

Bill amount as you'd expect was €64 - but the metered amount according to Irish Water was €6,400 for the quarter :eek::eek:

Is this a record??Wtf?

but the metered amount according to Irish Water was €6,400 for the quarter :eek::eek:

Is this a record??Wtf?

jasus must be a typo

So, we received our first bill today.

Two adults, 3 kids - normal 3 bed semi.

Bill amount as you'd expect was €64 - but the metered amount according to Irish Water was €6,400 for the quarter :eek::eek:

Is this a record??Wtf?
    . Beats my e444.20. What was your recorded water usage in m3 do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

. Beats my e444.20. What was your recorded water usage in m3 do you mind me asking?

Recorded usage is 1749 m3!

Advertisement