Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

Recorded usage is 1749 m3!
    Give them a ring to get it investigated that's a massive leakage of water, hopefully its on their end of the water meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Bob24 wrote: »
    Intersting, maybe because they are lower floor apartements..
    It is a duplex, not an appartment block, they all have seperate supplies.
    Recorded usage is 1749 m3!
    The best way to check where the leak is, is to turn off the mains valve within the house then see if the meter is still turning.. if it is, the leak is between the meter and the house. If it was internal you would most likely know about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2 adults and 2 young children = 21 m3

less allowances, so charged for 10.5 m3

Bill = 39.34

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slick50 wrote: »
    The best way to check where the leak is, is to turn off the mains valve within the house then see if the meter is still turning.. if it is, the leak is between the meter and the house. If it was internal you would most likely know about it already.
    One problem with this suggestion is that with the Diehl meters, you can't actually see the least significant digit of the display (liters) or the spinner as these are both obscured by the transmitter unit.

See http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-water-acknowledges-difficulty-in-meter-reading-1.1960984

I've been taking regular readings on our meter, and plugging the information into a spreadsheet. This reveals that our average usage is 0.25 m3 per day, or 250 litres. This seems quite a lot to me, as there's just the two of us, but I've no easy way of seeing if there is any flow while everything in the house is turned off.

I've tried various online water usage calculators and they all come up with different figures, so I don't really have a handle on what could be considered 'normal' usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Alun wrote: »
    One problem with this suggestion is that with the Diehl meters, you can't actually see the least significant digit of the display (liters) or the spinner as these are both obscured by the transmitter unit.

See http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-water-acknowledges-difficulty-in-meter-reading-1.1960984

I've been taking regular readings on our meter, and plugging the information into a spreadsheet. This reveals that our average usage is 0.25 m3 per day, or 250 litres. This seems quite a lot to me, as there's just the two of us, but I've no easy way of seeing if there is any flow while everything in the house is turned off.

I've tried various online water usage calculators and they all come up with different figures, so I don't really have a handle on what could be considered 'normal' usage.

Average numbers from the UK are ~150L per person per day so you're not far out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Average numbers from the UK are ~150L per person per day so you're not far out.
    Yes, I'd read that too, but subjectively it still seems a lot to me.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I'd read that too, but subjectively it still seems a lot to me.

Of course it depends on your own usage, but showers, toilets, washing dishes/clothes, it all adds up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So, we received our first bill today.

Two adults, 3 kids - normal 3 bed semi.

Bill amount as you'd expect was €64 - but the metered amount according to Irish Water was €6,400 for the quarter :eek::eek:

Is this a record??Wtf?

Yowsa, you'd think something like that might trigger their own leak warning system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have been unable to register as every time I try to register it asks me for a code off a welcome pack which I never received. Why should I ring this useless collection of civil servants who have been dumped into Irish water just because they can't to their jobs properly?

You haven't tried in a while I'd say. You don't need the code anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

We got our bill a couple of weeks ago from irish water for €64 but it should only have been €32 as we only have one service. I rang them up and the girl said that she would cancel the bill and issue a new one for €32. A day or two later I logged in to my Irish Water online account and saw that she had as she said she would, cancelled the 1st bill and issued another for €32 which was due to be taken by direct debit on May 11th.
    Yesterday I was checking my internet banking when I discovered that they had taken the €64 even though the 1st bill was cancelled. I now have to wait 10 days for a cheque for €32 and I was told that they are not going to take the €32 that's due on Monday but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they go ahead and take it anyway.
    This is just a warning to others to keep an eye on them and if I was doing it again I would never have set up a direct debit with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pbarr wrote: »
    We got our bill a couple of weeks ago from irish water for €64 but it should only have been €32 as we only have one service. I rang them up and the girl said that she would cancel the bill and issue a new one for €32. A day or two later I logged in to my Irish Water online account and saw that she had as she said she would, cancelled the 1st bill and issued another for €32 which was due to be taken by direct debit on May 11th.
    Yesterday I was checking my internet banking when I discovered that they had taken the €64 even though the 1st bill was cancelled. I now have to wait 10 days for a cheque for €32 and I was told that they are not going to take the €32 that's due on Monday but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they go ahead and take it anyway.
    This is just a warning to others to keep an eye on them and if I was doing it again I would never have set up a direct debit with them.
    Get onto your bank tomorrow on Monday and tell them to reverse that incorrect direct debit. they must by law reverse any incorrect debit immediately!

Get onto your bank tomorrow on Monday and tell them to reverse that incorrect direct debit. they must by law reverse any incorrect debit immediately!

I never knew you could do that so thanks a mill foggy_lad. First thing Monday morning I'll be on to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pbarr wrote: »
    I never knew you could do that so thanks a mill foggy_lad. First thing Monday morning I'll be on to the bank.

Don't take any crap from your bank either, they are obliged by law to reverse any incorrect direct debit payments notified to them within a certain period(15 months). They must do it immediately if requested within 8 weeks but most staff will make up excuses not to because it means more work for them and paperwork.

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/sepa-direct-debit-scheme/
    SEPA Consumer (Debtor) Rights

Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers (debtors) can:

Use a single account to pay a SEPA Direct Debit in any SEPA country;
    Instruct your bank to refuse a SEPA Direct Debit;
    Prohibit the application of any SEPA Direct Debit to your bank accounts;
    Specify Creditors who may collect SEPA Direct Debits from your bank accounts;
    Specify Creditors who may not collect SEPA Direct Debits from your bank accounts;
    Limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or period;
    Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account. Within the eight week period your bank must refund you on a no-questions asked basis;
    Request a refund for any unauthorised SEPA Direct Debit after 8 weeks and within 13 months from the date the on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

For various reasons I didn't check whether my tenant registered with Irish Water. I received a bill for around €60.

Should he have registered? And what's the best action to take with the bill? I'll be calling him tomorrow to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Ask him to pay you 60 euro.
    Ask him to register.
    Go back in 7 weeks, check is he registered .
    Some one will have to pay the bill.

Don't take any crap from your bank either, they are obliged by law to reverse any incorrect direct debit payments notified to them within a certain period(15 months). They must do it immediately if requested within 8 weeks but most staff will make up excuses not to because it means more work for them and paperwork.

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/sepa-direct-debit-scheme/

I was on to the bank earlier and explained what happened and immediately they said they would recall the DD. The money will be back in my account within 48 hours so thanks again foggy_lad you saved me a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Does anyone know what's the story if i ignore the first bill? Will they send reminders etc? I'll pay it just there's too much going in one direction this month! Most people I know are not paying it at all, many haven't registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Aimeee wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's the story if i ignore the first bill? Will they send reminders etc? I'll pay it just there's too much going in one direction this month! Most people I know are not paying it at all, many haven't registered.

Probably like every other company sending you bills. They will sent you a reminder after a few weeks. If you still don't pay they will keep sending letters which are less and less polite and increasingly threatening. At some point they will start applying late payment fees to your account. Eventually if there sill is no engagement from you they will pass it to a collection agency which will be more aggressive in the way it is trying to get money from you and might eventually pursue legal action (and late payments fee will keep building up in the meantime).

It is difficult to recommend not to pay your bills, but if you are eventually paying a few weeks late, I would say nothing will happen except you will receive a reminder at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Hi
    I got my first water bill last fri. €39.46 for the first quater. One person household. Payable by 19/5/2015.
    It's another bill that people cannot afford, and it certainly will not be paid by the 19th.
    I have decided to pay €5 by the 19th, (That way cannot be penalised for not paying) and pay the rest during the 2nd quater, ie after having recieved the 2nd bill. Then I will pay for what I have used, not pay foward.
    I think they will find most people (that are going to pay) will just do that.
    I don't have the guts, (or money to spare) not to pay.

The fact that you have to pay in full €160 to get €100 off is ridiculous, don't they understand people need this reduction straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Joolzie wrote: »
    Hi
    The fact that you have to pay in full €160 to get €100 off is ridiculous, don't they understand people need this reduction straight away?

Where did you read or hear that? Has this been confirmed? Never heard that, my understanding was/is that once you have registered and pay the bills you get (paying for what you have used, i.e. in arrears, not in advance), you will get the conservation grant (or whatever it's called) back through Welfare.

Am I right in that? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I moved into a new apartment recently and the agency insisted on signing me up for this (which I wasn't happy about but howandever...)

The estate in question though was one that was only half-finished (there's sites immediately either side of the block), plus the water itself seems to be very hard and contains a lot of limescale (threw out the kettle as it was caked in it, replaced the shower head) but even a single boiling of the new kettle leaves a visible film on the edges/spout. I've started buying bottled water for now for the few cups of coffee I'd have.

Is there a list where you can see what estates are excluded or where you can check the criteria?

pyxxel wrote: »
    Where did you read or hear that? Has this been confirmed? Never heard that, my understanding was/is that once you have registered and pay the bills you get (paying for what you have used, i.e. in arrears, not in advance), you will get the conservation grant (or whatever it's called) back through Welfare.

Am I right in that? Anyone know?

From what I understand the "refund"/grant/whatever is paid after you've presented evidence of having paid the bills for the year.. in this case then they'll presumably be issuing them early 2016 (right in time for the General Election!)

I seem to recall reading that the DSW were objecting to the whole idea anyway because they hadn't the manpower to do it, but maybe that's been addressed.. it's hard to keep up as the story changes so much around this whole concept!

Is there any concession if you are on the household benefits package?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Joolzie wrote: »
    Hi
    I got my first water bill last fri. €39.46 for the first quater. One person household. Payable by 19/5/2015.
    It's another bill that people cannot afford, and it certainly will not be paid by the 19th.
    I have decided to pay €5 by the 19th, (That way cannot be penalised for not paying) and pay the rest during the 2nd quater, ie after having recieved the 2nd bill. Then I will pay for what I have used, not pay foward.
    I think they will find most people (that are going to pay) will just do that.
    I don't have the guts, (or money to spare) not to pay.

All bills are for past use in the previous quarter. i. e. You are currently billed in may for previous consumption up to end of April.

The water conservation grant can be applied for once you are registered with Irish water, as far as I am aware.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I moved into a new apartment recently and the agency insisted on signing me up for this (which I wasn't happy about but howandever...)

The estate in question though was one that was only half-finished (there's sites immediately either side of the block), plus the water itself seems to be very hard and contains a lot of limescale (threw out the kettle as it was caked in it, replaced the shower head) but even a single boiling of the new kettle leaves a visible film on the edges/spout. I've started buying bottled water for now for the few cups of coffee I'd have.

Is there a list where you can see what estates are excluded or where you can check the criteria?

I don't think hard water is a condition for exemption. It's more for areas with boil notices for cryptosporidium and the like.

I don't think hard water is a condition for exemption. It's more for areas with boil notices for cryptosporidium and the like.

Cheers.. what about unfinished estates? I seem to remember these being excluded in one of the earlier news articles I read anyway.

There are shiny new metres installed at the front of the block alright but maybe this was just planning ahead?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cheers.. what about unfinished estates? I seem to remember these being excluded in one of the earlier news articles I read anyway.

There are shiny new metres installed at the front of the block alright but maybe this was just planning ahead?

I don't know why an unfinished estate would qualify, you still get water and sewerage.

However, there was a waiver on certain unfinished estates for the property tax.

However, there was a waiver on certain unfinished estates for the property tax.

Ah maybe it's that I'm thinking of then. Cheers

I got no bill, and never got any registration letters either. i'm not registered but not because I am that against it, merely I got no information about it combined with laziness.
    I have been unable to register as every time I try to register it asks me for a code off a welcome pack which I never received. Why should I ring this useless collection of civil servants who have been dumped into Irish water just because they can't to their jobs properly?

Jaysus lads pick up the phone, its extremly easy to register. We received a pack but one of my housemates binned it while I was away as he was "against the charges" which was annoying enough in itself making the decision for others in the house but then he moved out almost stright away.

The LL rang and asked had I registered and I said no because the pack was gone but as he was anxious for the house to be registered I rang up (I have a good relationship with the LL and also have no problem registering anyway).

I got straight through to someone, said I had no registration pack and they said no problem. I gave the address and they said its currently registered to Mr. "the landlords name". So I said could I transfer it to me, no problem took my name and email address and that was it done. Took about 5 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Bob24 wrote: »
    Probably like every other company sending you bills. They will sent you a reminder after a few weeks. If you still don't pay they will keep sending letters which are less and less polite and increasingly threatening. At some point they will start applying late payment fees to your account. Eventually if there sill is no engagement from you they will pass it to a collection agency which will be more aggressive in the way it is trying to get money from you and might eventually pursue legal action (and late payments fee will keep building up in the meantime).

It is difficult to recommend not to pay your bills, but if you are eventually paying a few weeks late, I would say nothing will happen except you will receive a reminder at some point.

Hi Bob24 thanks for that. I'm paying it alright. I was just wondering would they send reminder and go through same routine as other companies (esp when so many not even registered/no intention of paying it). Thank you again.

Advertisement