Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Aimeee wrote: »
    Hi Bob24 thanks for that. I'm paying it alright. I was just wondering would they send reminder and go through same routine as other companies (esp when so many not even registered/no intention of paying it). Thank you again.

What other people are doing is really none of your concern. You have to pay your bills regardless of the actions of inactions of others.

Ring Irish Water and ask them how they deal with late payments - noone here is going to know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Aimeee wrote: »
    Hi Bob24 thanks for that. I'm paying it alright. I was just wondering would they send reminder and go through same routine as other companies (esp when so many not even registered/no intention of paying it). Thank you again.
    What other people are doing is really none of your concern. You have to pay your bills regardless of the actions of inactions of others.

Ring Irish Water and ask them how they deal with late payments - noone here is going to know the answer.

Adding to that - if you have financial difficulties but are willing to pay and are engaging with them, I assume they will be fairly accommodating (they might put you on some type of payment plan program where you don't get all the angry letters as long as you commit to paying a certain amount before a given deadline and stick to that promise).

Their big issue for the first round of bills will be people who can pay but are refusing to and are not engaging with Irish Water (i.e. protesters). If you are engaging with them and are showing willingness to pay - I'd say they would have to be stupid not to give you a chance (firstly because you would actually be a better behaved and easier to deal with customer than the many people who didn't register, secondly because hammering people who are engaging and showing good intentions would be very bad PR for them).

But as The_Morrigan says - this just me guessing and if you want to be sure of how they approach late payements you should ring them.

The fact of the matter is, this is new for everyone. We can't offer advice on how they will deal with anything because at this stage I suspect not even they know. If you want answers you need to contact Irish Water directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

pyxxel wrote: »
    Where did you read or hear that? Has this been confirmed? Never heard that, my understanding was/is that once you have registered and pay the bills you get (paying for what you have used, i.e. in arrears, not in advance), you will get the conservation grant (or whatever it's called) back through Welfare.

Am I right in that? Anyone know?

Hi Pyxxel,
    Sorry, after typing the whole thing, I'm not allowed quote anything as I'm a newbie, so had to delete it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I cannot for the life of me find late payment charges/details on their website. It says it's in the T&C's but it's not. Anyone have a link?

• Advertisement

I cannot for the life of me find late payment charges/details on their website. It says it's in the T&C's but it's not. Anyone have a link?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_charges.html#l62fd2

Thanks Bob but I'm looking for a link on the Irish Water website.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    All bills are for past use in the previous quarter. i. e. You are currently billed in may for previous consumption up to end of April.

The water conservation grant can be applied for once you are registered with Irish water, as far as I am aware.

It's not deducted from bill. Paid separately from sept from DSP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

How long is it taking to show up as paid on everyone's acc? I paid 7 days ago but it still shows as outstanding on the my water page.

Payment has clearly fully processed from the bank.

Also water.ie, for payment details
    watergrant.ie

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    How long is it taking to show up as paid on everyone's acc? I paid 7 days ago but it still shows as outstanding on the my water page.

Payment has clearly fully processed from the bank.

I tear the strip off the bill and pay manually at P.O. That way I control what I pay, and don't have them help themselves to my account, and then give you a heart attack afterwards telling you it is n't paid.

Thanks Bob but I'm looking for a link on the Irish Water website.

OK - can't find it either. All I can see is that it says here "Late payment charges will apply, as set out in the Water Services Act, 2014 and in our Terms and Conditions of Water Services" - but nothing in the T&C document.

Having said that the Water Services Act they are mentioning does list late payment charges: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0044/print.html#sec4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Joolzie wrote:
    I tear the strip off the bill and pay manually at P.O. That way I control what I pay, and don't have them help themselves to my account, and then give you a heart attack afterwards telling you it is n't paid.

Not what I asked but regarding your reasoning..

I didn't set up direct debit with them.

I pay by credit/debit card.

Using this option you can choose to pay in full or pay an amount off the bill on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I got my first bill for 39 euro. So im going to waste my time paying it and then again in 90 days or so and so on for them to give the moeny back to me in august.

Im delighted to get my money back but why cant they just credit people for the first bills.

Instead there wasting more of our money hiring in people to process grant applications and probably every consulting company in the country on some ridiculous drawn out process to give us the 100 euro back!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

So I have recieved my first bill, but haven't opened it yet. For those of you who are not paying what did you do with yours? throw it in the bin, sent it back asked them not to send more ?

jd83 wrote: »
    I got my first bill for 39 euro. So im going to waste my time paying it and then again in 90 days or so and so on for them to give the moeny back to me in august.

Im delighted to get my money back but why cant they just credit people for the first bills.

Instead there wasting more of our money hiring in people to process grant applications and probably every consulting company in the country on some ridiculous drawn out process to give us the 100 euro back!

Simply because the government doesn't want to be seen as subsiding Irish water too much.

Instead giving a huge aditional subsidy to IW for the water service, they will be giving everyone a small social welfare payment. The name of it (water conservation grant) which has nothing to do with what it really is tells you it is an accounting trick.

Yep, that's all I could find too.

I don't see any mention of late payment amounts on water.ie

Thanks all.
    Bob24 wrote: »
    OK - can't find it either. All I can see is that it says here "Late payment charges will apply, as set out in the Water Services Act, 2014 and in our Terms and Conditions of Water Services" - but nothing in the T&C document.

Having said that the Water Services Act they are mentioning does list late payment charges: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0044/print.html#sec4

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

cant they take it from source now ? the payment I mean.
    Mine came this morning E 35.50 2 adults and one child
    We didnt change our pattern either to see what our usage would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I am a tenant who had not registered nor do I have any desire to engage with Irish Water. However, I also understand that it is unfair for my landlord to be shouldered by the cost because I do not want to pay. I am on pretty good terms with the landlord and the only time water was brought up the topic was quickly changed (by himself).

The first bill arrived yesterday, addressed to 'The occupier', for 64 euro for 2 months.
    What options, if any do I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

retalivity wrote: »
    I am a tenant who had not registered nor do I have any desire to engage with Irish Water. However, I also understand that it is unfair for my landlord to be shouldered by the cost because I do not want to pay. I am on pretty good terms with the landlord and the only time water was brought up the topic was quickly changed (by himself).

The first bill arrived yesterday, addressed to 'The occupier', for 64 euro for 2 months.
    What options, if any do I have?

Option 1: Register, pay and receive your €100 grant from the DSP.

Option 2: Register, don't pay and take on any late fees, etc. that they may in the future deduct at source.

Option 3: Ignore it, landlord will likely have to pay, and deduct from your deposit.

Any way you look at it, they're getting your money anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

IW continue to confound and confuse.

I got my own bill. Fine and dandy, but I'd really like a meter as I suspect it'd be half the amount if my water was metered. No sign yet, despite being in a near city-centre location.

I also have an apartment that I have rented out. I got the initial registration pack. The tenant agreed that this charge should be paid, so he and I got on to IW and he waited for the registration pack. He got it after the final date, and sent it in. The other day, I got his bill, adressed to him by name, at my home address.

I rang IW to straighten this out. I got a "hmm, oh yeah, sorry bout that" sort of a response. Then "yeah, that's been corrected now". No request for an account number (well, he asked, but I don't have the account number since it's not my account), no confirmation, no further information. So I asked him to confirm that the name and address were now correct on the account - but was told that due to Data Protection he couldn't tell me who was on the account, I'd have to tell him. This, after them matching my home address to a stranger's (effectively) account.

Doesn't inspire me with confidence tbh.

(as an aside, although I don't doubt the integrity of the tenant at all, is there anything he could theoretically do with a utility bill with his name but my address on it? Should I return that to IW and make them issue a proper bill, properly address to him at the address where he lives? :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭silverbella

So this morning we received en envelope containing multiple different documents from Irish water that were sent to our landlords home address, we didn't receive anything at any stage, even addressed to the occupier. It says on the letter he sent us with his name on that the house hasn't signed up with Irish water and I'm guessing it has been sent months ago. The other part in the envelope is the bill that is now overdue by 10 days. Now we have actually been in touch with the landlord over the last few weeks as there are a couple of issues in the house still outstanding and none of this has been mentioned. These were also the only things in the envelope, nothing written by him either. This has really annoyed me, we aren't happy about water charges but that is not the issue here at the minute, he has sent us an already overdue bill that we had known nothing about despite speaking to him quite recently. We have no written lease, only a receipt for the deposit we gave him which also says that both parties should give 30 days notice. Along with a few other little complaints this has really annoyed me. He is not registered with PRTB and there have been one or 2 issues outstanding for months. What do I do here, realistically I'm not going to land him in any trouble going to prtb about anything but how do I approach this? Irish water is going to be a source of contention for aloy of landlords right now and this has made things so much worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I paid to Irish Water online 64.10E on 1st May. However, on online account it says Unpaid. I contacted them via email to update this info on my online account, however no response yet :(

The Irish water bill and the issues with the landlord are separate.
    Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year you have known that water charges are being implemented, you could have rung them up and let them know you were the tenants in the property and registered and received the bill on time.

Pay the bill and don't make matters worse by having late charges also applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You failed to register with Irish Water, so your landlord got your bill and it arrived late to you. Pay the bill and register with Irish Water to ensure you get them on time in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Those who got their first Irish water bill, and are metered, how many cubic metres are they reporting you are using over the 3 months?

I guess no-one got theirs yet, but from what mine is coming up as I must have a leak (that or having 12 showers a day and somehow forgetting about them!), so was curious to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mrcheez wrote: »
    I guess no-one got theirs yet, but from what mine is coming up as I must have a leak (that or having 12 showers a day and somehow forgetting about them!), so was curious to compare.

If you read back a few pages some people have posted their usage. Ours was 17.491 cubic metres. 2 adults, 1 at home during the day.

If you read back a few pages some people have posted their usage. Ours was 17.491 cubic metres. 2 adults, 1 at home during the day.

sorry didn't see this thread before I started my own :pac:

OK definitely got a leak going on, mine is 40 :eek:

Single household.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pbarr wrote: »
    I was on to the bank earlier and explained what happened and immediately they said they would recall the DD. The money will be back in my account within 48 hours so thanks again foggy_lad you saved me a lot of hassle.

Did you get your money back?

Advertisement