Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

samsung s4 4.3 update

• 16-12-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have recently bought a samsung galaxy s4 from 02 and my phone is on 4.2.2. Is there any news on when there rolling out the new 4.3 update?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

The update is available now. Your phone should be offering it to you if you have update notifications enabled. If you run Samsung Kies that should offer the upgrade too.

Backup your phone first, of course, and be sure you have a couple of MB free, which you should on a newish phone.

I installed it a few days ago but haven't noticed a great difference yet other than a bit more free memory initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

The update is available now. Your phone should be offering it to you if you have update notifications enabled. If you run Samsung Kies that should offer the upgrade too.

Backup your phone first, of course, and be sure you have a couple of MB free, which you should on a newish phone.

I installed it a few days ago but haven't noticed a great difference yet other than a bit more free memory initially.
    I downloaded the update last week and I am sorry I did . My battery life is shot . My keyboard is gone only have the qwerty one now . Keep s telling me that the broadband connection is unstable .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not yet available yet on three mobile in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm thinking about attempting to flash the official unbranded Irish firmware to my Galaxy S4. However I'm not sure if I should for 2 reasons.

1) I've never done something like this before
    2) If it goes wrong, Which I've read it can go VERY wrong? - I don't know any Android god to fix it.

Anyone have any input? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

secman wrote: »
    I downloaded the update last week and I am sorry I did . My battery life is shot . My keyboard is gone only have the qwerty one now . Keep s telling me that the broadband connection is unstable .
    Can't say that I've experienced any such problems. Assuming that you were previously running a standard build, it should be fine. Had you introduced any other changes at around the same time (new apps., updates, configuration changes)? Was there enough memory for the upgrade? Can you re-install the upgrade?

Not very helpful perhaps but mine went fine and I've only noticed a few minor quirks which will probably be fixed soon (e.g. the screen sometimes doesn't display correctly in the browser and has to be refreshed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just root the phone and throw on cyanogenmod. Its much better than the smelly old touchwiz..

I would make sure that you read the Wiki page on CyanogenMod for the known issues for the S4 before installing it

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Known_Issues_page_for_jfltexx

Occasionally the device will freeze at the Google logo during a reboot. Either pull the battery or hold power button until the device powers down. Another alternative is ejecting an sdcard and pushing it back in will resume the boot process.
      IR blaster doesn't work
      Voice Dialer doesn't work
      Change the mobile network settings (LTE, GSM, WCDMA,...) does not work.
      Signal 3G network occasionally unstable.
      Some issues about SD card (exFAT 64GB): 1. sometimes apper the error : "SD card removed unexpectedly"; 2. sometimes the SD card appers not readable and it's necessary unmount an mount the SD (sometimes it's necessary restart in recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, card may remain unreadable regardless, fixed? 20131213).
      The first item "freeze at google logo" also is with teh Samsung S4 logo. Stays there most of the times. Sometimes it will boot after minutes.
      BT disconnects regularly in the car. Only a BT toggle off/on will make it reconnect (since 20131016?)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 chelskifan

Hi all
    I updated a few days ago and am having severe battery drain..unstable wifi etc, generally all the issues that came with the latest update. Finding it difficult to get info on when a fix will be rolled out as I think Sam has their hands full with cleaning up the last mess they had with the S3.
    Any update gratefully welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

poxy 3 only have up to 4.1.2 at moment.

Q, can i flash a rom that is 4.2.2? phone is rooted anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

I too am having battery issues. I'm only getting half a day out of it at times. There is no apparent reason for it, no apps running etc

I'll never get a samsung again, nothing but hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 frogstomper

I'm having huge problems battery wise too. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? Is there any point taking it back to O2? I presume a replacement battery won't make any difference and it will need to be an update from Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Find the older firmware on XDA and flash that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got the update last night, no problems so far (touch wood) with battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

From Samsung Customer support

We firstly have to cover all troubleshooting methods to enhance the quality off the Samsung device please follow the following methods.

In addition your device provides options that help you resolve this issue.

• Safe-Mode: Running in “safe-mode” will prevent 3rd party application from running on your device.

To turn your mobile phone onto “safe-mode” please complete the following steps:
    o Make sure your device is turned off
    o Press and hold the Power key to boot up your device
    o After the start-up animation begins to display, hold down the decrease volume button on your mobile phone

You will know that “safe-mode” has been successfully enabled when “Safe mode” is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen. To boot your device into normal mode again, turn your device off, and then power it back on normally.

If your device works effetely whilst operating within “safe-mode” then you can be confident that a 3rd party application is adversely affecting your devices ability. If this is the case, I would advise revisiting any 3rd party applications that you have downloaded prior to first experiencing the issue

• Factory reset: If you are already on the latest software version available for your device then please try performing a factory reset. This can often resolve minor software and issues. You can perform a factory reset on your device by navigating to the following menu:

o Gingerbread: Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset
    o Ice Cream Sandwich: Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset
    o Jelly Bean: Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset

**** Please note you will lose all applications and saved data, including your Google account, so ensure that you back up your device prior to performing the reset. This may help resolve any issues you are having. ****

Following the afore mentioned advice can dramatically improve your device.

However, after a brief time, if you are still experiencing serious issues, even after trying the above tips, please let us know

Advertisement