Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would Spurs supporters like to see as the next manager?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Capello would be a fantastic appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Anything to be said for the managerial behemoth that is Stan the Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Laudrup for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Could people explain a bit why they want a particular manager? Those opting for Capello intrigue me. He'd a decent England team that he couldn't get to perform at the big tournamnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Could people explain a bit why they want a particular manager? Those opting for Capello intrigue me. He'd a decent England team that he couldn't get to perform at the big tournamnets.

Not many England mangers can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Capello would be Trapatoni style defensive crap football

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

celt262 wrote: »
    Not many England mangers can do that.

Fair point. But capello? It'd be a snooze fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anything to be said for the managerial behemoth that is Stan the Man?

We want the gaffer, we want the gaffer... Could you imagine if he was appointed:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Hiddink or Rijkaard for me.Both vastly experienced at top european clubs,Both are trophy winners and both are available to take over right now.
    Capello-no feckin way.Too defensive
    Laudrup-Another flash in the pan.Not doing as well this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Hiddink or Rijkaard for me.Both vastly experienced at top european clubs,Both are trophy winners and both are available to take over right now.
    Capello-no feckin way.Too defensive
    Laudrup-Another flash in the pan.Not doing as well this season

Hiddink is a non runner. He's becoming the Netherlands manager soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rijkaard please mr levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

davycc wrote: »
    Rijkaard please mr levy.

I think we should go with someone who has PL experience. We could be 17 months down the line and still in the same boat cos 'he had't managed in the PL before' like Ramos and AVB.

For me, Mancini would top my list. Has the the PL experience and has won trophies in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I've a feeling any new manager will not be in place until after the world cup.

So Sherwood takes the reins until then and the team start playing well and really pushing for champions league- We all say what a great decission to part ways with AVB or no change at all, we struggle and blame the playing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

oppiuy wrote: »
    I've a feeling any new manager will not be in place until after the world cup.

So Sherwood takes the reins until then and the team start playing well and really pushing for champions league- We all say what a great decission to part ways with AVB or no change at all, we struggle and blame the playing staff.

Seems to be a trend in the press that sherwood will be given a few games. Who knows how that will work out, was touted as a top top coach by everyone's favourite previous manager on here!
    Is he close to the players? Does he have any tactical acumen?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

If its going to be an interim thing, I'd give it to Hoddle and see how he does. If not great then I'd go for Laudrup.

Its a poisoned Chalice, I have no great expectations of whoever comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Very Possible and i would like..

Pottechino.. even though he's only managed for 30 games or so in EPL.
    He has brought Southampton up a notch, which is exactly what we need.
    Laudrup .. Has brought Swansea up a notch from Rodgers and has won an english trophy and also plays our way.
    De Boer .. Just because he has won the Dutch league for the last 3 seasons and before him they hadnt won it in 6. plus he knows Jan and Christian..
    Hoddle.. Who doesnt like him?? really?? maybe until the season ends only.

Long Shots..Who i would like but feel its wishful thinking.

Heykchnkes..
    Klopp.
    Rikjaard
    Hiddink.

God NO...

Capello
    Sherwood

Warnock.
    Redknapp.
    Ginola.

Maybe it wont be announced until AFTER the match on sunday, if you know what i mean !!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i reckon its Sherwood till seasons end and then after the world cup i would cross my fingers in the hope of getting someone like Van Gaal. Hidick is penciled to replace him at the Holland helm. Not sure he'd work under the current system, but if he was shown the money he could come in and build upon his previous successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm just throwing this out there as a topic of conversation...

But....I joked about Hoddle being the next manager yesterday and how he would deploy a 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2) formation. He didn't really succeed as manager last time because he forced that formation on a squad which didn't have the players to play it. We had just bought two wingers (Etherington and Davies) and he didn't use wingers. But look at our squad now, it's top heavy on midfielders and we've all been complaining that Soldado needs a partner up front.

Could this work??

Lloris

Vlad - Kaboul - Vertonghen

Walker
    Rose

Sandro - Dembele

Eriksen

Soldado - Adebayor

Lennon and Townsend would be out of the team for most of the season. Paulinho and Lamela would be competing with Eriksen for the spot behind the strikers. Though I think Lamela could compete with Ade for spot alongside Soldado. I really think Lamela will become an RVP style player for us, once given time.

We'd probably have to bring in a couple more centre backs as cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm really not interested in having Hoddle back, it will all end in tears also Sherwood doesn't have the experience to take the role fulltime. I remember a few years ago Martin O'Neill was one of the favourites to become manager of Spurs I think his wife's illness stopped him taking the role I wonder if Levy came a calling would O'Neill consider managing Spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm really not interested in having Hoddle back, it will all end in tears also Sherwood doesn't have the experience to take the role fulltime. I remember a few years ago Martin O'Neill was one of the favourites to become manager of Spurs I think his wife's illness stopped him taking the role I wonder if Levy came a calling would O'Neill consider managing Spurs?

He won't be doing much as Ireland manager til Autumn next year. Would steady the ship but not top of my list. I havn't really got a list. As for Hoddle, he is prob too long out of management to be taken serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

MON, get out of it, why not Barry Fry or Di Canio?

Here's an excellent read regarding Hoddle, his man management skills leave a lot to be desired, but he'd make for an excellent coach. Probably my favourite Tottenham player.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/oct/05/newsstory.tottenhamhotspur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    MON, get out of it, why not Barry Fry or Di Canio?

Here's an excellent read regarding Hoddle, his man management skills leave a lot to be desired, but he'd make for an excellent coach. Probably my favourite Tottenham player.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/oct/05/newsstory.tottenhamhotspur

It hurts to read Tottenham fans criticising Hoddle for anything, he's a bit of an oddball, so what, he's the best player we ever had, as well as that he's supposedly got the potential to be one of the best coaches in the world, has had mixed results in the past but he's never been in charge of a team which could contend for the biggest prizes and his record as England manager was very good, he was unlucky not to go further in 98.
    In my opinion it's no risk to give him until the end of the season, he's keen to have a bash and his expectations wouldn't be any more than that, give him a go I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It hurts to read Tottenham fans criticising Hoddle for anything, he's a bit of an oddball, so what, he's the best player we ever had, as well as that he's supposedly got the potential to be one of the best coaches in the world, has had mixed results in the past but he's never been in charge of a team which could contend for the biggest prizes and his record as England manager was very good, he was unlucky not to go further in 98.
    In my opinion it's no risk to give him until the end of the season, he's keen to have a bash and his expectations wouldn't be any more than that, give him a go I say.

As crazy as it sounds I'd too give him a shot, it excites me for unknown reasons I can't explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a Liverpool supporter I just ventured in here and see what things are like after the dust has settled.

If ye appoint an interim, what are ye're aims for the season, can ye really afford to write the season off and drop out of the race for 4th. Sherwood has no experience and hoddle is out of the game donkeys?

Can ye see yourselves in the fight for 4th with Hoddle or Sherwood?

I would warn ye about appointing a club legend as we did with Dalglish it might yield some short term results but it will come crashing down in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Kilnsmann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

curraghyid wrote: »
    Kilnsmann

Why?! hardly a sterling managerial career so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The same Hoddle that thinks Huddlestone should be in the team and that Dawson should be leading England to Rio? Please, no way!

A legend of a player for us but he was pants when he managed us, four points from six games and in the relegation zone. Hasn't managed in 7yrs.

I think I'd rather see Sherwood get a shot than have Hoddle back.

I think I'd rather see Sherwood get a shot than have Hoddle back.

Agree can't have Hoddle, Sherwood would be the obvious choice until the summer when Levy could get his number one target Laudrup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Why?! hardly a sterling managerial career so far?

3rd place in 2006 World Cup not bad,they also played a nice brand of football, didn't get long with bayern but a quarter final exit to Barcelona and 2 points off first with 5 games to go in the bundesliga, reasonable.

Not really following USA but he has them in the finals and they seem to be happy enough with him to give him a new contract to 2018 if I am not mistaken.

Most of all, he is a spurs legend , understands attacking football and has played in the biggest games in the biggest leagues. Of course you can say he has won nothing as a manager and has no epl managerial experience but how many have that we're likely to get.

Kilnsmann coming to the lane would lift the place and the supporters and would be as good a punt as any.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't touch Jurgen tbh. I want someone who knows the league, someone who won't tell us all he needs 12 months to settle, Laudrup for me would be ideal, plays good football, knows the league and imo would develop the good footballers we have, but as I said, once they bring success, I don't care who gets it.

Advertisement