Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would Spurs supporters like to see as the next manager?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

THFC wrote: »
    Jaysus fcuking Christ.. What a gamble.

Levy definitely has an ulterior motive for hiring Sherwood. Appointment doesn't make much sense from an outside perspective.

There was nobody to come in immediately. I anticipated Sherwood until end of the season anyway so this doesn't really change much. He'll be gone by the summer if the rest of this season turns disastrous.

Then the summer will have a few managers come available.

As I said, this provides stability to a squad with alot of new faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Not sure of this,I suppose if he's still here next season it will mean he's done well.I was hoping for Van Gaal:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

More I think about it, this is the best of a bad situation.

If we finish in top 4 or pick up a cup then great - onwards and upwards.
    If not. He gets the gate and we pick up someone after the the W.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

More I think about it, this is the best of a bad situation.

If we finish in top 4 or pick up a cup then great - onwards and upwards.
    If not. He gets the gate and we pick up someone after the the W.C.

Yeah, I'm happy with this now. Like every manager Sherwood knows his position is subject to results

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

good luck to Tim - Lets see what happens.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If this backfires, Levy has to walk.

Why? He is giving Sherwood a chance. There are no guarantees. Why do so many people want to sack everybody if things don't go there way. I'm baffled.

Maybe we should bring back Mr. Amstrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

It will probably all end in tears (it always does with Spurs managers it seems) but at least we will have a go with Tim in charge. I can't see too many 0-0 games which is positive I think. I'm not disappointed in the appointment but not inspired either. Don't think there was anyone else out there of true quality that would take it right now. After the WC it could all change though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't understand this one either. If Levy isn't happy at the end of this season it's yet another sacking at the club. Surely when sacking a manager you hope to bring someone with better credentials in - AVB may be inexperienced but he's significantly more experienced that Sherwood.

Very weird. Still, it was nice to see the team attack and for Soldado to get loads of chances (and Ade's performance) so maybe it'll be a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Tim Sherwood could be great or ****e, only time will tell. At first i wasn't pleased that he was given until end of next season but at the end of the day it's Levy here, he'll have no problem sacking him in the summer and hopefully getting in someone like LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think this'll be a good move to be honest, tim seems to play attacking football which has always been the spurs way. I can see the team creating plenty of chances and if soldado starts firing, it could be a decent end to the season. I'm more optimistic about the season now then I was when avb was in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Why? He is giving Sherwood a chance. There are no guarantees. Why do so many people want to sack everybody if things don't go there way. I'm baffled.

Maybe we should bring back Mr. Amstrad.

Why, cos he obviously had no one lined up when he sacked AVB.

Is Sherwood a better bet than AVB, highly unlikely since AVB is our most successful manager in nearly 50 years in terms of league points.

We all keep saying that levy should have given AVB more time or that the next manager needs to be backed long term but he's only backing him for 18 months.

Why, cos he obviously had no one lined up when he sacked AVB.

Is Sherwood a better bet than AVB, highly unlikely since AVB is our most successful manager in nearly 50 years in terms of league points.

We all keep saying that levy should have given AVB more time or that the next manager needs to be backed long term but he's only backing him for 18 months.
    avb may have been our most successful manager points wise but he had spurs playing the worst football i've seen since George graham. I'd rather be entertained and enjoy watching spurs play then have to sit through 90 mins of watching a top class striker be frustrated at the lack of service he's getting from the wings and through the middle.

tom1ie wrote: »
    avb may have been our most successful manager points wise but he had spurs playing the worst football i've seen since George graham. I'd rather be entertained and enjoy watching spurs play then have to sit through 90 mins of watching a top class striker be frustrated at the lack of service he's getting from the wings and through the middle.

Soldado had two golden opportunities against Southampton and ****ed it up. Adebayor has scored more goals in the PL from open play than Soldado and he's been a bloody outcast longer than this season.

How people are happy with Soldado and blaming a lack of service for his woeful start with spurs is now starting to get silly. He'll probably come good but at the moment he's ****e and you cannot blame service anymore.

Did Pavlyuchenko get this much respect?

Hopefully Sherwood will get the best out of him but until he starts banging in the goals regularly he's getting no respect/praise from me.

His best game however was against Southampton IMO so maybe, just maybe I'll be eating my words by the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

tom1ie wrote: »

Typical shíte one would only hear on a Spurs forum.. I'd rather win every game using the AVB method than be stuck around the Europa League places like we have been for the best part of a decade now. AVB was implementing a system, similar to what Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho and other great manager have done. He wasn't given the time so we don't know if he would have been successful. However, his early results suggested he would have been. I said it when he was appointed, that within 3 years of AVB at the club we'd have been challenging for the title. I'm fcuking sick to the stomach to hear that he has been sacked..

But I suppose no point crying over split milk is there....... Fcuking jokeshop of a club.. At this stage it looks like we'll be stuck in mediocrity for the next 2 seasons at least, and no one to blame but ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sherwood is a massive gamble, a crazy appointment tbh, does levy know what he is doing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Buckle in and try to enjoy the ride, got no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Just woke up to this news, what the Fook!!!:eek::eek:

Fair enough, Sherwood seems like a genuine footballing guy and he's been waiting in the wings for a long time. No doubt we'll all support his team.

But, the guy doesn't even have all his coaching badges and has no experience as a manager. He could be shown up in grand style. We could go into free fall, who knows? If it fails spectacularly he'll get the chop in the summer but we all know who should really be getting the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Squad is extremely strong, if Soldado & Ade can form a partnership then I believe we'll be in the hunt for fourth. Injuries are racking up as they tend to do every year, back four has had no solidity. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and where we'll finish under Sherwood.

THFC wrote: »
    Typical shíte one would only hear on a Spurs forum.. I'd rather win every game using the AVB method than be stuck around the Europa League places like we have been for the best part of a decade now. AVB was implementing a system, similar to what Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho and other great manager have done. He wasn't given the time so we don't know if he would have been successful. However, his early results suggested he would have been. I said it when he was appointed, that within 3 years of AVB at the club we'd have been challenging for the title. I'm fcuking sick to the stomach to hear that he has been sacked..

But I suppose no point crying over split milk is there....... Fcuking jokeshop of a club.. At this stage it looks like we'll be stuck in mediocrity for the next 2 seasons at least, and no one to blame but ourselves.

so I suppose you've conveniently forgot about the two fourth place finishes and the quarter finals of the champions league we achieved under HR whilst playing some of the best attacking football the league has ever seen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Seems like a crazy decision. If we lost at Southampton would Sherwood have been appointed?

• Advertisement

I don't see any alternatives until after the WC and right now we have a strong squad and need someone in place. He may just do Ok, Bill Nicholson and Keith Burkinshaw were both promoted from within and did great (if you don't know who they are then you shouldn't be following this club). LFC won many titles appointing from within so I don't see what the problem is.

At least get behind him and give him a chance to the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Tim Sherwood? WTF? I sincerely hope I am proven wrong but this guy was a mediocre footballer at best and has no track record as a manager. Why are Spurs taking such an enormous risk on this guy for him to serve his apprenticeship? Spurs is a big job and we should have made a big appointment. I'm very disappointed with this appointment. Maybe it will work out but I would imagine that 12-18 months down the line we will have taken a couple more steps backwards and we'll be facing the same situation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

dats_right wrote: »
    Tim Sherwood? WTF? I sincerely hope I am proven wrong but this guy was a mediocre footballer at best and has no track record as a manager. Why are Spurs taking such an enormous risk on this guy for him to serve his apprenticeship? Spurs is a big job and we should have made a big appointment. I'm very disappointed with this appointment. Maybe it will work out but I would imagine that 12-18 months down the line we will have taken a couple more steps backwards and we'll be facing the same situation again.

He's a premier league winning captain.don't know if he has coaching badges.it might work, it might not.in fairness, he's at the club since 08 and played there so he knows the club well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

He's a premier league winning captain.don't know if he has coaching badges.it might work, it might not.in fairness, he's at the club since 08 and played there so he knows the club well.

Just on the badges Sherwood has all badges up to and including UEFA "A". He now has 12 weeks to enroll on a Pro Linence course otehrwise he can't manage in EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

He's a premier league winning captain.

Jeff Kenna, Tony Gayle, Ian Pearce, Stuart Ripley, Mark Atkins, Robbie Slater and Mike Newell to name but a few of the other mediocre players who won the league in 94-95. Alan Shearer's 34 league goals won the league that season for a team full of journeymen (i would include Sherwood in this description). Now if Sherwood can find us a striker who will score 30+ league goals a season I am sure he'll make a good manager too!

Initially when he came in as interim I was expecting him to be there until summer. Wasn't particularly keen on the idea of him coming in at all but the more I think about it the more I'm warming to the idea.

He knows every player at the club. From the youngest member of the under 19's to the oldest member of the senior team. He knows what the fans want. He's a young Englishman whose looking to make a name as one of a few good English managers. He's an internal recruitment so won't require much bedding in period (getting in a foreign manager who would call the club tottingham is pretty much writing off this season). From watching his interview after the Southampton game I'm starting to want him to do very well for the club this season and continue onto the west brom and stole games from where he left off away to Southampton.

What spurs fan wouldn't want this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think Levy has a choice because he's made the Spurs job so unattractive that no decent manager would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Don't think Levy has a choice because he's made the Spurs job so unattractive that no decent manager would consider it.

Don't cod yourself. Pay them enough ££££££££££££ and they'll queue up. I think its obvious that Levy will get Van Gall or another big name in after the World Cup.

Nonsense, money talks.

• Advertisement

Tottenham HotspurVerified account
    @SpursOfficial
    Tim on his appointment: 'If you cut me in half, I bleed the colour of the club. It's a proud moment.' #THFC

Advertisement