Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle

Options
  • 16-12-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Lads looking at rifles?
    Will be my first
    Had a loan of a .22 air rifle for a night and have shot 270 deer rifles at deer and foxes ..
    Now the max I want is a fox rifle I'd like it to be 300 yrd mark and on a budget too
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

.223 will be cheap to run and last really well

I shoot rabbits with FMJ costing 25.00/100 rounds - 25c ea

Fox ammo about 75c ea up to a little over 1.00 ea.

Decent 2/Hand rifle about 5-600

Lots of other calibres/ options

just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

yubabill1 wrote: »
    .223 will be cheap to run and last really well

I shoot rabbits with FMJ costing 25.00/100 rounds - 25c ea

Fox ammo about 75c ea up to a little over 1.00 ea.

Decent 2/Hand rifle about 5-600

Lots of other calibres/ options

just my 2c

Was looking at a 223 think that's the way to go ?
    I keep thinking a 17hmr would be nice but I'm new to rifles tbh
    Need to fire a 223 and see what it's like

Like I said, lots of other options.

If you can handle a 270 you will have no prob with 223.

I prefer 223 to 17HMR because ammo is around same price, but 223 has a lot more power and reach.

plus, FMJ 223 ammo causes almost no meat loss, while 17HMr will cause a lot of damage to rabbits.

I think the 17HMR is marginal for fox - some will argue otherwise - just my opinion.

Now, the 17HMR is a neat package and might be a good place to start - larger cals are not necessarily the best to start serious shooting with - big bangs can lead to bad shooting habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Does nobody else see getting a .223 as kind of jumping in at the deep end? I'd shot a fair few different rifles (.22lr-30.06) before I got my first rifle license but I still started off smaller than a .223
    Theres an awful lot to learn and to be honest Id recommend starting off with a .17hmr as itll be capable of foxes out to 200 yards and rabbits , crows further than that. Your looking at €16 for a box of 50 which gives you plenty of ammo to practice with for little money. Nothing stopping you moving on up to a .223 in a year or two if you even want to get rid of the HMR. A lot of lads I know that have one dont want to get rid of them...ever !

Just my 2 cents !

Snakezilla wrote: »
    Does nobody else see getting a .223 as kind of jumping in at the deep end? I'd shot a fair few different rifles (.22lr-30.06) before I got my first rifle license but I still started off smaller than a .223
    Theres an awful lot to learn and to be honest Id recommend starting off with a .17hmr as itll be capable of foxes out to 200 yards and rabbits , crows further than that. Your looking at €16 for a box of 50 which gives you plenty of ammo to practice with for little money. Nothing stopping you moving on up to a .223 in a year or two if you even want to get rid of the HMR. A lot of lads I know that have one dont want to get rid of them...ever !

Just my 2 cents !
    I was into 17hmr as well what price would the be compared to a 223

• Advertisement

Padd2 wrote: »
    I was into 17hmr as well what price would the be compared to a 223

Youd pick up a new CZ for about €550-€650, havent seen many secondhand on the shelves - what does that tell ya ;) (marlin,savage would be about €200 cheaper but still tack drivers)

Scope say a 3-12x40 Hawke - €130
    Bipod - €70
    silencer - about €100-€150 depending on model/make

A .223 gun alone is going to be more expensive than a complete .17hmr set up unless you go second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I think you should tell anyone you had a lend of the air rifle.

As for calibers a 223 is a great round and the .17 will not reach out to your 30" yard request. 17 is prob a better dual caliber if you entend to eat rabbit. But feck it if your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

I got a .17HMR as my first rifle, I dont get on with Bi-Pods too low and heavy for standing,I also dont get the whole ruins the meat thing, good set of 4ft sticks and head shots all day long.

reniwren wrote: »
    I got a .17HMR as my first rifle, I dont get on with Bi-Pods too low and heavy for standing,I also dont get the whole ruins the meat thing, good set of 4ft sticks and head shots all day long.

What would the max rang of a hmr be lads think I'll go for the hmr it'd need to be accurate out to 150 yard for fox :/

I think you should tell anyone you had a lend of the air rifle.

As for calibers a 223 is a great round and the .17 will not reach out to your 30" yard request. 17 is prob a better dual caliber if you entend to eat rabbit. But feck it if your not.

Whys that ?? can't ya shoot some one else's gun for a few shots ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Be OK as longas the owner with you. Or did he give it to you for the night?
    If you were stopped by a Garda, both you and the owner could be fecked. He could lose his licence, and you could be done for illegal possession.

They say you never loan your wife, or your chainsaw. Add your rifle to that list!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Technically yes especially the lending part.

My HMR is zeroed at 117yards which is the optimum zero for my rifle, at 150yards at x16 zoom its a 1.5 mil-dot hold over if you want pin point accuracy but on x8 its only .2 so basically point and shoot,(but thats just my gun others will be slightly different as my average bullet speed was 2610fps)

First week I had mine I got 3 foxes didnt go looking just happened upon them

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Be OK as longas the owner with you. Or did he give it to you for the night?
    If you were stopped by a Garda, both you and the owner could be fecked. He could lose his licence, and you could be done for illegal possession.

They say you never loan your wife, or your chainsaw. Add your rifle to that list!

He was there we shot a few can ls down the bank in my land was all ..

reniwren wrote: »
    Technically yes especially the lending part.

My HMR is zeroed at 117yards which is the optimum zero for my rifle, at 150yards at x16 zoom its a 1.5 mil-dot hold over if you want pin point accuracy but on x8 its only .2 so basically point and shoot,(but thats just my gun others will be slightly different as my average bullet speed was 2610fps)

First week I had mine I got 3 foxes didnt go looking just happened upon them

Think a 177 hmr is on the cards is say I'll go for a cz hmr ? Any other recemadtions ??

Think a 177 hmr is on the cards is say I'll go for a cz hmr ? Any other recemadtions ??

Try get a CZ yea. Never had a bad one ! I know a lad with a Marlin and it shoots just as good as my CZ but Im not a huge fan of the Marlin action, its nowhere near as smooth as a CZ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Make certain sure that you ask for the right thing on the application - a .177cal is an air rifle, a .17HMR is the firearm.

We really want to confuse matters as little as possible.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Make certain sure that you ask for the right thing on the application - a .177cal is an air rifle, a .17HMR is the firearm.

We really want to confuse matters as little as possible.

tac

Thanks tac I see me mistake ;)

Just trying to be helpish. :)

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Just trying to be helpish. :)

tac

I expect nothing less from the mighty tac foley ;)

Plámás. ;)

tac

• Advertisement

Not going to say anything against starting with a 17HMR - had one for a couple of years - but you may want to move on to something else if you want foxes at 300yds at a later date.

Advertisement