Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial Ski Slope -

Options
  • 16-12-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I read with great interest over the past 6 months about an artificial ski slope being built in the Glen on the north side. A nice idea which could be a lot of fun.

However, I read the Examiner on Friday and it says this:

"The 30m-long, 4m-wide outdoor nursery slope will be built alongside the adventure centre’s five-a-side soccer pitches. It will have a gradient of about 14% — about half that of St Patrick’s Hill — and will be open year-round."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-going-downhill-on-a-ski-slope-252566.html

30 meters long and 4 meters wide :eek: Is this a joke ? It would be as wide as a ski jump but shorter. Do they actually mean 300 meters long and 40 meters wide ?

I was expecting something like this.

4290_5_lg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I read with great interest over the past 6 months about an artificial ski slope being built in the Glen on the north side. A nice idea which could be a lot of fun.

However, I read the Examiner on Friday and it says this:

"The 30m-long, 4m-wide outdoor nursery slope will be built alongside the adventure centre’s five-a-side soccer pitches. It will have a gradient of about 14% — about half that of St Patrick’s Hill — and will be open year-round."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-going-downhill-on-a-ski-slope-252566.html

30 meters long and 4 meters wide :eek: Is this a joke ? It would be as wide as a ski jump but shorter. Do they actually mean 300 meters long and 40 meters wide ?

I was expecting something like this.

4290_5_lg.jpg

The term 'nursery slope' doesn't suggest anything terribly exciting unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You'd be doing well to get a facility like that for the the money mentioned. 30m does sound a bit measly though. How many seconds would it take to slide down that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I hope it's a mistake. Even the Shakey Bridge is 50m long according to Wikipedia, and 4m is only about the width of two car parking bays.

Edit: Just checked the site linked at the bottom of the article, and it seems 30m x 4m is correct

http://glencentre.ie/taggedNews/292505/445/ski_slope_gets_green_light

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I hope it's a mistake. Even the Shakey Bridge is 50m long according to Wikipedia, and 4m is only about the width of two car parking bays.

Edit: Just checked the site linked at the bottom of the article, and it seems 30m x 4m is correct

http://glencentre.ie/taggedNews/292505/445/ski_slope_gets_green_light

Usain bolt could run down it in less than 3 secs!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

It's not a mistake. What I hear is being planned is actually a small nursery slope that will largely be used by school kids.
    It'll be part of the other activities you can do at the Glen like zip lining and zorbing.

If definitely won't be a major slope with lifts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Tis a pity, they have a chance to put in something like the photo above,but instead the cash is going into more 5 aside soccer pitches,at least they have their priorities straight.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'm wondering how it will take to be completely vandalised, watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"A child has been lodged in the Tunnel of Goats… If a nurse could please come to the Tunnel of Goats… A goat and a child have now become lodged together, and a nurse has become involved in the incident… Another nurse is required to remove the nurse mentioned previously…"

I hope that if this is somewhat successful, it might lead to an interest in creating something much more substantial. It does remind me about the baffling lack of sailing and other water sports facilities in and around the harbour. I remember my dad looking into getting a berth at the marina in Marloag and being told 'berths only come up when someone dies'. We definitely need a more 'if we build it they will come' attitude in Cork, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm wondering how it will take to be completely vandalised, watch this space.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    We definitely need a more 'if we build it they will come' attitude in Cork, IMO.

Surely the "if we build it, they will vandalise it" attitude is far more progressive!?:rolleyes:

Advertisement