Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BDO world championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Have the rules of dominoes changed a bit recently?
    I'm guessing the dominoes part has nothing much to do with the injury...

It was when he stood up after playing I gather but one's allowed a little poetic licence on boards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

maybe he was stretching a bit too far to play at the other end.

Such a terrible excuse.
    Maybe he cheated and the lad he was playing broke a chair over him. Sounds like an unnecessary addition to the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Those without the Red Button, what are you watching on?

If freesat/free to air, using say a generic sat box receiver, the Red Button channels are there. Red button does not work on mine, so I did a manual retune during some of the big sporting events air by the BBC, say Wimbledon or the Olympics, and afterwards found three of them showing the different courts/events when doing a manual search through the channels. None of them were named red button, but renamed them my self and rearranged them so easy to find in my channel list.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

How can a darts caller get a job at the worlds when he cant pronounce 'one hundred' properly. He was there last year as well and cant believe he's back without having learned how to pronounce it

One hunwed!

KevIRL wrote: »
    How can a darts caller get a job at the worlds when he cant pronounce 'one hundred' properly. He was there last year as well and cant believe he's back without having learned how to pronounce it

One hunwed!
    He's terrible. Sixtaaay!!

Edit: That Dutch girl can Shuur throw a dart :o She's fairly decent.

He's terrible. Sixtaaay!!

I know I'm being a bit unfair on him as he's Dutch so not his first language, but you would think 100 would be crucial to learn in his role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A 147 check out in the women's, not bad going.

Gulliver out!

Edit: That Dutch girl can Shuur throw a dart :o She's fairly decent.

A real stunner :pac:

Gulliver on her travels without winning a leg...

• Advertisement

Why are these two going on as if no-one's been watching BBC1!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Michael Meaney will be playing in the second match of the session from 6pm on the red button, if anyone is interested here's the full schedule if its not already posted.

http://www.bdo-darts.co.uk/lakeside-full-tv-schedule-starts-today-on-bbc-1/

Jennings having rotten luck with bounce outs here. All 60's too.

Is there much difference in the Blade 4 and the Eclipse boards. The wires do look a lot thinner than the older Blade boards.

This dutch guy hasn't done his chances any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭leoch

how did adams and waitts get on earlier on I missed it hope adams was beat

leoch wrote: »
    how did adams and waitts get on earlier on I missed it hope adams was beat

Adams went through, Waites was beaten 0-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Adams won, Waites lost.

big upset surly" the coat" is favourite now..... I think the cool gloves helped hairms win, wats the bet fitton will get beat again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

And give more airtime to the event, use BBC3 and BBC4 in the early afternoon ffs, not all of us have red button

If you have FTA box you can rescan it. there is two channels somewhere called '6930' 0r '6910' or something that is usually the red button stream. Il be turning it on soon so il get the exact channel name soon.

If you have FTA box you can rescan it. there is two channels somewhere called '6930' 0r '6910' or something that is usually the red button stream. Il be turning it on soon so il get the exact channel name soon.

Nope, on UPC. Thanks though

Nope, on UPC. Thanks though

No prob, pity.
    For anyone who is on FTA, search for channel 6390 and 6391. Darts starting at 6.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Never knew Phil Nixon had died back in August from cancer until it came up during the interview with Adam's after his match.

His comeback from 6-0 down to make it 6-6 in the 2007 final was unbelievable. I never wanted a player to win so much as it that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭djskip316i

These commentaters are really getting on my nerves

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Never knew Phil Nixon had died back in August from cancer until it came up during the interview with Adam's after his match

Christ, didn't know that, though the BDO must be the worst organisation ever for getting news out. Wonder was there anything during the Grand Slam to note it.

Solid performance by Meaney. Bit of a wobble closing out the 2nd set, but his opponent didn't offer much resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is there much difference in the Blade 4 and the Eclipse boards. The wires do look a lot thinner than the older Blade boards.

The Blade 4s are tougher to play on apparently.

Even read Mason saying it on Twitter the other day but I've no experience of an Eclipse Pro myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

There was an article on the BBC about Waites earlier in the week, about how he was still working as a carpenter after winning last year,

I know £100,000 is not enough to give that job up, that's not what I'm getting at but what shocked me was that he was getting only an hour a day practice in!

Isnt the assassin s hair style so cool wait now till u see all the pdc dart players copying it ......good to see young meeney getting on well

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭djskip316i

De graaf still on 241 after 21 darts ,

Anyone catch meaneys average?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Meaney did ok. The win will give him confidence.
    His opponent scored very pporly at times though and he'll probably have to up his game in the first round.

De graff was absolute shíte against Atkins. I'd say he barely averaged 70.
    There were legs where he still had 250 to go after 12 darts thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There was an article on the BBC about Waites earlier in the week, about how he was still working as a carpenter after winning last year,

I know £100,000 is not enough to give that job up, that's not what I'm getting at but what shocked me was that he was getting only an hour a day practice in!

Yeah I saw that, he comes across as being a very nice down to earth guy who enjoys his work as well as his darts. Wouldn't be surprised if this will be the year he makes the jump though, I think he owes it to himself to give it a go. He'll never get the best out of his game if he doesn't become full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Even the story about the dominoes ties in with my mental picture of Waites.

Suspect he loves his Yorkshire lifestyle of working with his mates on the building sites, bacon buttys at 10 in the canteen, pie and a pint o' bitter at lunch and a few hours down the Dog and Drake in the evening watching the footie and sticking his name down on the waiting list for the pool table.

No point moving over for a few quid if it would make him miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think it's something he'd regret if didn't at least try, he's obviously good enough to do well for himself in the PDC and could only stand to become a better player. His Dad apparently is very keen to see him make the switch.

I know he likes his job and already makes decent money through exhibitions and prize money on the BDO circuit but surely everyone wants to make the most out of their talents in life. You have to push out of your comfort zone at times, regrets in later years are no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's never really sat right with me that darts even has a professional level. It's really a hobby, a real working man's game. It's something that was pretty much born in the pub, or at least gained it's popularity there. There's a certain dignity to be found in that, too, which doesn't really need to have to covered over with the tacked on glitz of the PDC. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the PDC but find it such a far removed thing from that first exposure for darts all the way back on the Indoor League. Seems like a different game. I think Waites is of the same or similar opinions. He doesn't get ideas above his station and seems to know what's important in life, and that's a credit to him.

When is Meaney throwing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

could the bbc not get yer wan gabby yorath to lep around in a pair of hot pants to liven this up or is this bdo stuff for the darting purist.:eek:

I've watched a few of the ladies matches at the BDO yesterday and today and while the level is not that of the mens they are decent players in their own right. What does surprise me though is how some don't know how to work out their score and ask he scorer whats left when they're down to a finish.
    Just now Sherrock had 120 left. She hit single 1 then T19 and had to ask the scorer what she had left.
    If she didn't know what it would leave they why did she throw at it?
    The same yesterday with Rachel Brooks. She had no idea what she had left after the first dart when trying to finish on numerous occasions.

Did'nt mean to post that 10 times. Something was up with the site earlier.
    Maybe the mod can get rid of them.

Meaney is playing tomorrow evening. He's last on I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

squadro wrote: »
    could the bbc not get yer wan gabby yorath to lep around in a pair of hot pants to liven this up or is this bdo stuff for the darting purist.:eek:
    just dont send clare balding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I do enjoy the Lakeside (though I'll only likely able to follow the highlights until the final) but it really is a different world, so out of sync with what is going on in darts. Some of the preliminary match standards are embarrassing to be on TV. On the highlights show last night they had a lad who was struggling to hit single 20 (this is a highlight?!?!) and the commentators called a 3-dart outshot at 70 tonight 'breathtaking'. The standard at the very top rivals the PDC, the Lakeside is a nice, throwback venue and the tournament itself is a bit of fun...but at times it can feel like standing around the local pub congratulating a lad who just hit two trebles.

I say this as Shimizu just hit 9 on the highlights show after a 41, and yet he remains level on sets with Kist...a former World Champion. As much as I want to like it, stuff like this is hard to ignore at times.

leggo wrote: »
    I do enjoy the Lakeside (though I'll only likely able to follow the highlights until the final) but it really is a different world, so out of sync with what is going on in darts. Some of the preliminary match standards are embarrassing to be on TV. On the highlights show last night they had a lad who was struggling to hit single 20 (this is a highlight?!?!) and the commentators called a 3-dart outshot at 70 tonight 'breathtaking'. The standard at the very top rivals the PDC, the Lakeside is a nice, throwback venue and the tournament itself is a bit of fun...but at times it can feel like standing around the local pub congratulating a lad who just hit two trebles.

I say this as Shimizu just hit 9 on the highlights show after a 41, and yet he remains level on sets with Kist...a former World Champion. As much as I want to like it, stuff like this is hard to ignore at times.

As Bobby George says - Trebles for show, doubles for dough.

The reason Shimizu was level on sets with Kist was because of his awesome finishing, he was on 8/9 doubles at one point, while Kist was on about 6/17.

IF Shimizu can sort out his scoring he'll be decent, because I've never seen finishing like it. He couldn't miss.

As Bobby George says - Trebles for show, doubles for dough.

The reason Shimizu was level on sets with Kist was because of his awesome finishing, he was on 8/9 doubles at one point, while Kist was on about 6/17.

IF Shimizu can sort out his scoring he'll be decent, because I've never seen finishing like it. He couldn't miss.

I saw that, but even in saying that, when you have a guy who struggles to hit big singles even getting to doubles first...that's a problem. And calling a single 10, 20, double top finish 'breathtaking' is massively over-egging the pudding. It's that kind of accepted mediocrity presented as genius that hurts the BDO.

leggo wrote: »
    I saw that, but even in saying that, when you have a guy who struggles to hit big singles even getting to doubles first...that's a problem. And calling a single 10, 20, double top finish 'breathtaking' is massively over-egging the pudding. It's that kind of accepted mediocrity presented as genius that hurts the BDO.

the presenters are harldy going to start slating the players, saying they are crap or whatever, that would be worse.

The world and it's mother knows the PDC is higher quality, Darts viewers don't need that rammed down their throats at every opportunity.

I do agree though, they can go a bit over the top in their praise. But what tv broadcaster doesn't hype the shít out of their prodcuts.

I don't think it's damaging at all. Same as with football, ignore the twats commentating and make your own judgement.

I think the BDO is doing great things for Darts by opening up the floor to the likes of Shimizu. It can only be a good thing that the game is being played in more and more places.

As I said, if Shimizu can sort out his scoring, he could make a jump to the PDC, and he also seems to be a bit of a character, which the PDS also love.

one more, not unrelated point.

I much prefer watching the BDO because you can kind of relate to the guys who throw the odd loose dart into the 1 or 5 when they need a treb 20. It happens, it happens to real people and you can feel for them.

In the PDC a dart is almost considered loose if it lands on the wrong side of the wire into the 20 instead of the treb.

The players are so skillful they are almost robotic.

I'm also a League of Ireland fan by the way, Shelbourne. I appreciate watching the Premier League too, but those players are so different to what you get on a Friday night down Tolka Park.

The difference is the same, they are almost different sports.

• Advertisement

one more, not unrelated point.

I much prefer watching the BDO because you can kind of relate to the guys who throw the odd loose dart into the 1 or 5 when they need a treb 20. It happens, it happens to real people and you can feel for them.

In the PDC a dart is almost considered loose if it lands on the wrong side of the wire into the 20 instead of the treb.

The players are so skillful they are almost robotic.

I'm also a League of Ireland fan by the way, Shelbourne. I appreciate watching the Premier League too, but those players are so different to what you get on a Friday night down Tolka Park.

The difference is the same, they are almost different sports.

That's a good way of looking at it. Personally I'd prefer to watch the Premier League and PDC to see the top level of any sport, but I can appreciate that aspect too. If BBC could present it as such, I think they'd win a lot of hearts and minds, but unfortunately they're dealing with an organization who (in spite of all evidence) is still in denial and sees the advances of the PDC as satan-like.

Commentary-wise I'd also focus more on the match play element and the battle between two men rather than presenting it as the pinnacle of anything. People aren't stupid, they understand the difference between averages and 9-dart averages and focusing on inferior stats like that only looks like they're trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. It also does a disservice to the likes of Waites, Green and O'Shea who can compete at the top level yet come off as second-rate by association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

have to love tony green commentating , flat out routing for the english lads whenever they get in for a shot out against anyone from overseas. how he isn't put out to pasture is beyond me, he is septic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bit of a shock with Daryl Fitton losing to Tony Eccles this afternoon, I know Eccles is a decent player but Fitton would have expected to win that one.

Watching a womens game at the moment between Julie Gore and Radhna David, it's painful stuff, both averaging in the mid 50's. Hopefully it's just nerves

I called that about fitton yesterday and as for tony green if his fellow commentator mentions or makes a comment about a pdc player he will totally ignore it and talk about something completely different very childish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Match finished 2-0 to Julie Gore who averaged 55.35 and Rachna averaged 52.32. Seriously how was this a World Championship match? I would be embarrassed if I average that a pub league game!

• Advertisement
Advertisement