Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brick sessions

Options
  • 16-12-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Couple of quick questions re bike/run brick sessions.

1. While I plan on having the proper tri specific gear before my first race, I don't have it at the moment, so I would need to hop off my turbo, change out of my bib shorts and into my running gear, tie laces, lock doors etc so my "transitions" aren't going to be that terribly fast. I'll have everything laid out in advance to speed up the process but I was just wondering is there a point that you lose the whole benefit of running off the bike because you're legs recovered too much between stopping cycling and starting running. For example, if it takes me 5 minutes to start running after I get off the bike, is that still a worthwhile exercise?

2. Is it OK to just do one of my scheduled 60 minute turbo sessions followed by one of my easy runs or should I be doing a more specific Brick workout rather than just sticking a bike and run session together. Examples would be great.

3. Duathlons are my thing rather than tris, and I always hear about the jelly legs going from the bike to the run, but is there any need to practice the Run to Bike transition or is that less of an issue.

The local club will be organising some small duathlons in Jan/Feb but I'd just like to get a head start as I have a race on the 9th February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

There's no need to change clothes when you get off the turbo, although, might be worthwhile throwing on a dry top to avoid getting cold, just run in the bib shorts though.

10-15 minutes off the bike is grand, try to go out fast to mimic a race but dont do the whole run fast, use it to cool down a bit too.

You should practice running off the bike after a spin, with your feet cold as this is often the main problem you face in winter duathlons... running on numb feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Run in my bib shorts? Sounds horrendous TBH, chafe city??? I have ordered club gear including tri shorts, but it never entered that mine that you could run in bib shorts. The pad is just so big and awkward.

I never thought about the cold feet either. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

5 mins to change and lock the door? Stop looking in the mirror :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dont run in bib shorts unless you want a sore a$$ and look stupid in the process:). Turbo should have a mix of race pace intensity/shorter intervals or some staple 2x20 sweetspot session or similar.
    Run should again have some race pace efforts thrown in, short enough to start off with and build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Zico special: Hard 20min turbo, straight out the door and peg it hard around a 5 min block.. repeat 3-4 times

Shotgun favourite: 60 min turbo as 6*(2min @FTP-40w, 2min @FTP-20w, 2min @FTP, 2min @FTP+20w, 2min @FTP-80w), out the door and 5km out and back as 2.5km easy, 2.5km hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

pointer28 wrote: »
    Run in my bib shorts? Sounds horrendous TBH, chafe city??? I have ordered club gear including tri shorts, but it never entered that mine that you could run in bib shorts. The pad is just so big and awkward.

I never thought about the cold feet either. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks for replying.

Bib shorts are made not too chafe, Your tri-suit will have a pad just smaller.
    There is no reason you can't run in them.

Yeah maybe change top as it can be damp after turbo and cold when you go outside.

Thanks all,

Just did a deal with the man in the red suit and I'll have a proper pair of tri shorts next week, so I'll be all systems go.

I never bother wearing a top on the turbo, it's just more washing to be honest and it's not really necessary. The worst that can happen is the MIL walking in and seeing my hairy back.

Really looking forward to trying something different now and have my first Du on 9th Feb. Might even try an adventure race, even though I swore I never would. After a bit of research, they're not what I thought they were. It's the obstacle course, muck and shyte, electric shock type of nonsense that I hate the sound of. Something like Gaelforce seems a good challenge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

pointer28 wrote: »
    Thanks all,

Just did a deal with the man in the red suit and I'll have a proper pair of tri shorts next week, so I'll be all systems go.

I never bother wearing a top on the turbo, it's just more washing to be honest and it's not really necessary. The worst that can happen is the MIL walking in and seeing my hairy back.

Really looking forward to trying something different now and have my first Du on 9th Feb. Might even try an adventure race, even though I swore I never would. After a bit of research, they're not what I thought they were. It's the obstacle course, muck and shyte, electric shock type of nonsense that I hate the sound of. Something like Gaelforce seems a good challenge though.

I did sea2summit this year in westport, superb event. Something to aim for next year.

I did sea2summit this year in westport, superb event. Something to aim for next year.

Cheers, another one for my wish list.

Advertisement