Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cable Router or ADSL Router?

• 16-12-2013 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

The thread title makes it seem like a stupid thread but hopefully it's not. :D

Currently my ISP is Magnet. The equipment is an ADSL Telsey router plugged into the telephone line that they supply (wifi switched off on this) and hanging off that is an old Netgear WGR617 cable router.

The reason for the netgear is that the Telsey can only assign 7 ip addresses and they can only be dynamic not static. Crap for a home network.

In the new year I want to upgrade the equipment as the Netgear is pretty crap, particularly for heavy P2P use.

Thing is should I buy an "all in one" solution by getting an ADSL router or continue with the same setup and get a new cable router?

I have the DSL settings for Magnet so an ADSL router would be a cleaner, simpler, more energy efficient solution. However If I move ISP will I be able to obtain the DSL settings for them or do the ISPs like to restrict that info in order to force us to use their equipment only?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd grab a decent cable router because as you said, if you change or move around and get given the usual Irish bottom of the barrel ****e you can use your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The other reason for the cable router is to allow network address translation to occur, as the range of IP addresses you are currently getting from the Telsey device are all public IP addresses. Using a router would allow the internal IP range to be assigned and that is how you would get your 192.168.x.x range on your network.

Almost all of the newer connection devices will give you an internal IP range to work with, so you may not need your own router, but with your own router you can control what is going on much more accurately with no fear of a network tech from your provider messing with your settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the opinions lads.

Was looking this Asus, seems to cover all bases - ADSL/VDSL, WAN giving great flexibility.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN66U/

Could be pricy though.

By the way I read somewhere here that from sometime next year modem routers need to be able to support a certain technology. Any idea what that is?

Answer: Vectoring is what I'm looking for! As you can see I don't much about networking, should stick to the programming! :D

Advertisement