Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What outdoors activities have you planned for Xmas?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I hope to do some hill-walking and some coarse fishing. I do both every year where possible.

What outdoors activities have you planned for Xmas?

Comments

If mild, hill running.

If cold, the Reeks with crampons and ice axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Witing for some frost or snow to do a full lap of Glendalough on my own without the crowds hopefully, one of the nicest places in Europe when you get it to yourself.

Keep meaning to do the big and small Sugarloaf in one hike aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll be making the annual pilgrimage to Lug on St. Stephen's Day.

Start at Fenton's, straight up Lug via Camara Hill, across to Slieve Maan then Ballineddan and back to Fenton's for a pint. Lovely in the snow if there is any, and a bit of frost helps with the muck at the base of Slieve Maan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Thargor wrote: »
    Witing for some frost or snow to do a full lap of Glendalough on my own without the crowds hopefully, one of the nicest places in Europe when you get it to yourself.

Keep meaning to do the big and small Sugarloaf in one hike aswell.

I agree that the crowds have got too much at Glendalough (cannot blame them though) but away from weekends in Winter you can still have the place pretty much to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Getting out there is the problem when you dont have a car though, what is the point of getting there on St Kevins bus at 1pm for a return journey at 16:30? Not enough time to do the white route or whatever its called these days, the one along the ridge and down into the miners village. Has there been any improvement in transport links out there does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

went for a run in hellfire this afternoon, fresh snowfall on the ground so was gorgeous being up there in those conditions.

not sure on the other days, maybe go for a run again on stephens day, then plan on climbing mweelrea on the 29th and benbaun on the 30th to complete the county tops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

went for a run in hellfire this afternoon, fresh snowfall on the ground so was gorgeous being up there in those conditions.

not sure on the other days, maybe go for a run again on stephens day, then plan on climbing mweelrea on the 29th and benbaun on the 30th to complete the county tops :D

what route are you doing for mweelrea ?

i suspect from the western side, haven't thought a huge amount about it tbf. really hoping the weather improves before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

With the Met Éireann red alert for County Clare and the information on boards at the moment, I'm taking a rain check (no pun intended) on any outdoor pursuits until Saturday.

if the weather is too bleak for mweelrea i might knock up croagh patrick just to do something. will be down there for the 2 nights either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, no snow on Lug today, although from a distance it looked as if there was some ... just a good covering of thick hoar frost, really. A clear run all the way to the top, and some magnificent views, but it clouded over as we descended to the base of Slieve Maan and onward to Ballineddan. I'll upload some photos tomorrow probably.

Advertisement