Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer is taking away overtime.

Options
  • 16-12-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

Can my employer take away my weeks overtime (hours) and next week force me to take a day off.

Here's part off the contract ;
    Your hours of work will be 42.5 hours per week. Start and finish times will depend...you may be required go work more than these hours to carry out your duties. The company pays overrtime at time.

I do around 10-12 hours of overtime during the week and my employer simply rings me and tells me I have to take a day during next week off.

I have been working for the company for 4 years, people that have just joined or have been working there for less time than me usually aren't made to take the day off.

Is this legally allowed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Can't say for sure, but I work for a big corporation who are usually on the ball with these things, and they banned double time, any overtime must be taken as time in lieu, so I would guess that it's legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Phil123456 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can my employer take away my weeks overtime (hours) and next week force me to take a day off.

Here's part off the contract ;
    Your hours of work will be 42.5 hours per week. Start and finish times will depend...you may be required go work more than these hours to carry out your duties. The company pays overrtime at time.

I do around 10-12 hours of overtime during the week and my employer simply rings me and tells me I have to take a day during next week off.

I have been working for the company for 4 years, people that have just joined or have been working there for less time than me usually aren't made to take the day off.

Is this legally allowed?

Thanks.

The maximum hours you can do in an average working week (dependent on your industry thats over between 6 - 13 weeks) is 48. Your problem is actually can they legally not do what they've done.

Looks like someone has made a complaint or you've had a visit for the labour inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So, you are being offered time in lieu (paid day off) instead of over time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Personally I'd prefer the day off. However, this should be agreed in advance.

Advertisement