Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego games....too many?

• 16-12-2013 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Lego Batman 2 and Lego superheros are superb games, but they got sooo many games per year, franchise fatigue?

Next year we have Lego movie videogame and The Hobbit....can you keep up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I did not played much of Lego Games, but I started yesterday Lotr one and the game is just FANTASTIC! I love movies and it is really cool way of telling same story in Lego words.

Bring on Hobit game too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU Lego game attempts to try something new, after the PS2 and next gen Lego games based on film/tv licences all seemed to be cookie cutter titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its a handy way to get to know the story of the terrible prequels of Star Wars without having to endure the films. My kids still absolutely love the lego games, cookie cutter or not, they are harmless and have much more character than other trivial, inoffensive, light kind of games.

Its a handy way to get to know the story of the terrible prequels of Star Wars without having to endure the films. My kids still absolutely love the lego games, cookie cutter or not, they are harmless and have much more character than other trivial, inoffensive, light kind of games.

You play lego games not for a challenge. I am an AFOL, so for me the actual aesthetics and creations from lego is a big part of fun.

I am not a big fan of SW universe, so I did not played Starwars games yet, but as AFOL and Lotr fan I am in love with Loge Lotr game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I think they way they've positioned the games there's not really ever going to be too many. Each one is pitched at fans of whatever the subject matter is. The gameplay might be much the same in each, but it's where the characters come in that changes things. Different universes, character abilities and personalities etc make a big difference to the way each game ultimately plays from a fan's perspective, so similarities probably aren't a major concern. I doubt there are too many people out there who'll go and buy every lego game because they're a lego fan, for example, but will rather pick and choose based on the subject matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

quiet you or I will send you to the darkened room of a thousand legos barefoot

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

COYVB wrote: »
    I think they way they've positioned the games there's not really ever going to be too many. Each one is pitched at fans of whatever the subject matter is. The gameplay might be much the same in each, but it's where the characters come in that changes things. Different universes, character abilities and personalities etc make a big difference to the way each game ultimately plays from a fan's perspective, so similarities probably aren't a major concern. I doubt there are too many people out there who'll go and buy every lego game because they're a lego fan, for example, but will rather pick and choose based on the subject matter

The only lego games i have not played is lego indiana jones 2....thats it!
    Currently playing jones 1 co-op with a friend and we plan on playing jones 2 after.

I like my lego games. I am such a child :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

After lego marvel I'm burned out and it's grind to 100% anyone who thinks they are not challenging should try and not rage at that one , it's been the only one this year no? DC was good but have to say the hobbit doesn't interest me at all LOTR was poop, the movie one has batman so i might be tempted back, but it's very fair to use the term "cookie cutter" they do need something new, and there is a massive market there should they choose to look at at changing it up and making a game in the vein of say minecraft :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I am not a big fan of SW universe, so I did not played Starwars games yet, but as AFOL and Lotr fan I am in love with Loge Lotr game.

The SW ones? If I hear "Dada, it's the racing bit again" I'll take a hammer to the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Played Lego star wars on the PS3, lego batman on the DS and lego indiana jone on the wii. Think I am now done with lego games. Three different games on three different platforms and there was no real difference in gameplay. I like the manner in which they deliver the storyline, but again its generally the same approach regardless of game. I always thought the games had more potential than TT ever got out of them. I think another developer could do something interesting with the core concept of Lego, but I think Lego games as done by TT is probably run its course.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    The SW ones? If I hear "Dada, it's the racing bit again" I'll take a hammer to the console.

Don't get them lego marvel so :eek: the flying races are pure hell at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was actually just thinking this when I saw the trailer for Lego Hobbit. I've been playing the Lego games since the very first Lego Star Wars and have gotten 100% in most of them. With Lego Marvel, I found it an absolute chore. While I'm not playing the games more to get my son the characters to mess in the open world and free play levels, I was grinding through the levels as quick as I could just to get them over with. I got to about 45% completion, before I found a save file and just copied that! I just didn't enjoy the game at all. LotR was good, but again, a lot of grinding (though nowhere near as bad as Marvel).

I don't know, maybe going back to less of a massive open world would be a good thing. Maybe it's just that Marvel characters, being a bit more serious than their DC ones, don't translate as well to a game like Lego, which has to get a good balance between being for kids and adults.

chrislad wrote: »
    I was actually just thinking this when I saw the trailer for Lego Hobbit. I've been playing the Lego games since the very first Lego Star Wars and have gotten 100% in most of them. With Lego Marvel, I found it an absolute chore. While I'm not playing the games more to get my son the characters to mess in the open world and free play levels, I was grinding through the levels as quick as I could just to get them over with. I got to about 45% completion, before I found a save file and just copied that! I just didn't enjoy the game at all. LotR was good, but again, a lot of grinding (though nowhere near as bad as Marvel).

I don't know, maybe going back to less of a massive open world would be a good thing. Maybe it's just that Marvel characters, being a bit more serious than their DC ones, don't translate as well to a game like Lego, which has to get a good balance between being for kids and adults.

I think DC shone for that reason, the humour between batman and super man and lex was great and notably absent from marvel.

calex71 wrote: »
    I think DC shone for that reason, the humour between batman and super man and lex was great and notably absent from marvel.

Exactly. Marvel characters don't have the same silliness to them that DC characters *can* have. When Marvel does it, it's more Dreamworks silly than Pixar silly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually think the Marvel characters were more varied and different. Problem with the Marvel selection though was they threw in far too many characters that no-one is ever going to use. I pretty much facepalmed when I completed a side-mission and unlocked Gwen Stacy.

That being said, there definitely was a notable lack of humour when compared to other Lego games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just got my first Lego game with the Wii U, Lego City Undercover and its a strange one cause the frame rate is not good and the loading screens are long but I was up till 1am last night playing it. So I dont know do I like it? Yes, its not challenging, well so far but its just really good honest fun.

Would love to play the game with a better frame rate though in particular. The loading I can deal with cause I can look at my Ipod touch or something but the frame rate does bug me slightly. Not enough to put me off the game but is annoying.

I'd definately give another game a go based my experience with this one.

Lego Star Wars
    Lego Star Wars II
    Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
    Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars
    Lego Lord of the Rings
    Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4
    Lego Harry Potter Year 5-7
    Lego Batman
    Lego Batman 2
    Lego Indiana Jones
    Lego Indiana Jones 2
    Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
    Lego Marvel Superheroes

Jaysus. No wonder I'm jaded from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I just got my first Lego game with the Wii U, Lego City Undercover and its a strange one cause the frame rate is not good and the loading screens are long but I was up till 1am last night playing it. So I dont know do I like it? Yes, its not challenging, well so far but its just really good honest fun.

I'm playing through this at the moment as well, also my first Lego game. Really like it so far. I haven't noticed any frame rate issues but I have to say the loading times do bother me.

Anyway, very interested in trying another one in the series, will probably pick up Batman soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

tailgunner wrote: »
    I'm playing through this at the moment as well, also my first Lego game. Really like it so far. I haven't noticed any frame rate issues but I have to say the loading times do bother me.

Anyway, very interested in trying another one in the series, will probably pick up Batman soon.

Its not all the time but its definately there. Its a shame as I say cause if it ran smoother I know I'd enjoy it more but that said I'm still playing it as I say so it mustnt be bothering me that much. :D

I'd be quite interested in the batman one as well actually.

Well, my first Lego game is Lotr, I never played any other ones, so I guess it looks cool and fresh for me. Thought with a list of Lego games so far, I could really see someone, who played all of them to be a bit burned out of it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Lego Harry Potter are fantastic, especially if you're a fan of HP. 100% both of them. Liked Lego Batman, but i'm not enjoying the open world of Lego Batman 2. Too much going on. I've collected nearly everything in it, but i'm finding it a chore to go back and finish the levels.

I really wish there was a Lego game which allowed you to do what you wanted and build whatever you wanted, along the vein of Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts n Bolts. Maybe there is one, but i haven't found it yet. And it should include normal levels which you need to complete to unlock rare or specific Lego parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Never got the appeal of them myself.

Julez wrote: »
    Never got the appeal of them myself.

Have you tried them? I was the same before i got the first Lego Harry Potter, and my opinion changed almost immediately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't have the broad spectrum to play all the Lego games so new ones are fine by me. I loved Lego LOTR and looking forward to The Hobbit now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 janetkissho

My childhood has gone great playing with lego games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Have you tried them? I was the same before i got the first Lego Harry Potter, and my opinion changed almost immediately.

I played the star wars version and it didn't grab me at all, just a fairly bland platformer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Lets not forget that funcom are developing a lego miniature MMO due for 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

calex71 wrote: »
    Don't get them lego marvel so :eek: the flying races are pure hell at times.

You're waaay to late to be telling me that. :(

Julez wrote: »
    I played the star wars version and it didn't grab me at all, just a fairly bland platformer to me.

Are you a Star Wars fan? That stopped me from enjoying those ones (i'm not a fan) but being a massive HP fan made the Lego HO games fantastic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

chrislad wrote: »
    Lego Star Wars
    Lego Star Wars II
    Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
    Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars
    Lego Lord of the Rings
    Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4
    Lego Harry Potter Year 5-7
    Lego Batman
    Lego Batman 2
    Lego Indiana Jones
    Lego Indiana Jones 2
    Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
    Lego Marvel Superheroes

Jaysus. No wonder I'm jaded from them!

They had a Chima game out too, I seen it advertised. Some kinda childish animal warriors thingy

Advertisement