Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling 45 vinyls, dublin?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

An aunt of mine has given me a box of 45 vinyls, all in perfect condition and all well known songs & artists dating from 60s to 80s. Is there anywhere in Dublin i could sell these - i don't know if some are valuable - there are about 5 Elvis records from the early 60's in the collection. Any ideas, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Go on to the discogs website and check whether any of them are valuable first.

There's a shop in Fade street who buy vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Catalogue number / matrix number etc will denote pressing. Check the entry on www.discogs.com for distinguishing features.

Rare Record Price Guide book also good for UK pressings.

www.popsike.com for prices.

Second hand shops in Dublin
    Spin Dizzy [George's St Arcade]
    Freebird [Wicklow St]
    Rage [Fade St]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Second hand shops in Dublin
    Spin Dizzy [George's St Arcade]
    Freebird [Wicklow St]
    Rage [Fade St]

Its sad how small that list is now compared to how it would have been 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

iamstop wrote: »
    Its sad how small that list is now compared to how it would have been 10 years ago.

Indeed.

At one stage I'd spend the bulk of my Saturdays traipsing around Dublin's record shops.

My pre-1991 route

Off the bus at Eden Quay. Downstairs to Freebird.

Then go up to Henry Street. HMV and Our Price.

Into the Abbey Mall and Abbey Discs. Plus DTK.

Then the main Abbey Discs.

Over the ha'penny bridge and down to the Virgin Megastore.

Out of there, through the arch and Comet.

Then it's Trinity Records behind the Bankers.

Smile on George's Street.

Cut over to HMV on Grafton Street and Burger King for a feed.

And if I have time Hot Wax in Rathmines.

Will avoid Caroline's in Richmond Street as she's unpredictable

If you don't mind the personal question OP, why on earth would you want to dump something of such immense sentimental value? Did the aunt ask you to sell them for her? Because I know if I wasn't interested in keeping them then I wouldn't accept them. I just know this from what my own vinyl means to me that I couldn't just throw away somebody else's for what's going to be a very paltry sum of money.

Second hand shops, dealers, collectors, etc will rarely give you what something is worth. The assigned "value" is a retail value, and you are not a retailer (ie you're not a shopkeeper).

Most of the shops even will only offer you a standard fixed price per record. Some might offer a lump sum for the collection, but even then on an average price per record average there won't be much in the difference. What the retailer knows he can re-sell the record for will not be discussed with you I can assure you. It's not considered any of your business. Plus you telling me that something is worth €100, and you getting me to give you €100 for it, are two completely separate matters with nothing in common.

So do you really want to just jettison something a family member has been hanging onto for 50 years for probably only a couple of cents per record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Not forgetting Dolphin Discs just off Moore St....

QUOTE=nlgbbbblth;88123031]Indeed.

At one stage I'd spend the bulk of my Saturdays traipsing around Dublin's record shops.

My pre-1991 route

Off the bus at Eden Quay. Downstairs to Freebird.

Then go up to Henry Street. HMV and Our Price.

Into the Abbey Mall and Abbey Discs. Plus DTK.

Then the main Abbey Discs.

Over the ha'penny bridge and down to the Virgin Megastore.

Out of there, through the arch and Comet.

Then it's Trinity Records behind the Bankers.

Smile on George's Street.

Cut over to HMV on Grafton Street and Burger King for a feed.

And if I have time Hot Wax in Rathmines.

Will avoid Caroline's in Richmond Street as she's unpredictable[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks for replies - to answer your question misterbizmuth,they weren't my aunts originally, she had a lodger who gave them to her when he was moving out recently. I don't have a record player and while some of the songs bring back amazing memories to me, I am not a record collector so they don't have the same sentiment to me as to someone who might collect vinyl.

I also lost my job recently, have a child and was hoping to get a few bob for Xmas;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Fittle, I am sorry you lost your job, I collect U2 vinyl, so if there are any U2 records, feel free to pm me & I will make an offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

No U2 unfortunately, alot of Elvis and 70s/80s records - some are coloured!! I've had a look at a few of the websites suggested here - seems a few of them might be worth 20e, the rest are selling at 99c.

Thanks again for info.

Advertisement