Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and Death

Options
  • 16-12-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I'm sure someone here till be able to help me with a hypothetical situation i've been thinking about of late. A person takes a mortgage out on a home and finds out halfway through the course of the repayments that they have a terminal illness which insurance will not cover due to a preexisting condition. So when they die say in 2 years time they will have approx half of the loan left to repay. Can that person sell the property to a family member for a nominal fee (100euro) and continue to live there. When the person dies the bank seek their money but the person have left behind no assets as the house is now in another persons name.

What laws are being broken here? I'm pretty sure many but cant find anything online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They can't sell it for a hundred euro without the banks say so as the bank will hold the deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The bank won't allow you to sell the house for €1,000. Remember, they have the deeds and at that stage technically still own half the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

An answer so simple I forgot about the Deeds. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What laws are being broken here? I'm pretty sure many but cant find anything online.

Do we look like lawyers? You should know better, having been around the site for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement