Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listerosis

Options
  • 16-12-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

was feeding my ewes haylage last week and the brother in law said to be careful because if the bale is open more than 3 days then they can start to get listerosis from going off silage and haylege. it takes almost a week for me to go through a bale, theres 63 sheep eatinh it out of hay racks and circle. I bring out a load loose on the quad and trailer from the shed where the bale is opened. is he right? the sheep were eating it like mad couldn't get enough!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Listeriosis is caused by listeria funnily enough. While they could get it from haylage or silage this would have to have been contaminated with soil when baling as listeria is found in the soil.
    If it's clean haylage I wouldn't worry. Mould is a bigger concern as it can lead to meningitis. Good clean haylage and silage will be alright for a week. We feed silage out to ewes and we hope to get a week so the bale can go out at the weekend to suit the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

our approach to having a bale opened a while is have plenty infront of the ewes and they will leave behind the bits they don't want...leads to a big pile of wasted silage but its better than a pile of dead ewes

Advertisement