Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Card Reversed & Removed, Point Remains

Options
  • 16-12-2013 9:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

The on-thread infraction issued for this joke was reversed (no red card symbol on post) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87412260&postcount=2 but it seems the associated "demerit point" still remains on my account summary.

Could someone please explain what happened? Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The "point" drops off with the infraction reversal (even if it didn't it only has any purpose for 10 days then expires). The points are simply a totting-up process with an automatic site ban kicking in if you pick up 9 points over a 10 day period

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Additionally, they're not utterly deleted. Hence the history of it being performed, as well as the reversal is explicitly recorded instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It stays as part of your history and mods can see it as well as yourself, other users can't.

It's always struck me as strange that users can see this and not their own ban history but that's the way vBulletin was designed.

Steve wrote: »
    It stays as part of your history and mods can see it as well as yourself, other users can't.

It's always struck me as strange that users can see this and not their own ban history but that's the way vBulletin was designed.

On the other hand, reversed cards don't show up on mod tools, whereas bans do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah. It'll expire so nothing to worry about unless you're amassing infractions...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Thanks guys. It seems from your comments that it can be difficult to get a summary of all penalties whether imposed, expired, reduced or reversed. IIRC I've had one forum ban reversed on appeal, another reduced to time served (1 day instead of 3). Can anyone see these?

I can see red cards all with points still showing accumulated in 3.5 years, the same number of yellows. Bans I can't see as pointed out above. Do on-thread comments (less than a yellow) show up any where?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only Mods, CMods and Admins can see the full ban and card history (but not overturned bans). The ban history is on a separate system to the card history within your user profile.

There is no formal record of in-thread warnings (unless the mods themselves decide to keep track of it in one of the forum-specific mods forums (and only a relatively small number of forums, typically the larger ones, have specific mods forums))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

On the point of cards, I don't think yellows should be taken into consideration for issuing a site ban. Yellows were always just a gentle nudge to a poster that certain behaviours are not acceptable, IMO. Reds are a different kettle of fish.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    On the point of cards, I don't think yellows should be taken into consideration for issuing a site ban. Yellows were always just a gentle nudge to a poster that certain behaviours are not acceptable, IMO. Reds are a different kettle of fish.

If someone has 1 or 2 yellows maybe, if they have 10/20 across various forums then the gentle nudges aren't working. They wouldn't get a siteban for just warnings though, there would certainly be red cards and bans in there too.

It would also be very unusual for someone to have a raft of yellows without also picking up some reds and/or bans, as there will be a cumulative effect in forums where they breach the forum or site rules on a regular basis

• Advertisement
Advertisement