Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge sports/Skins Mallow 10 mile road race 23rd March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

hope to make this my next long distance run. have a niggly injury at the moment so hopefully that clears up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

€500 euro for the course record? That's pretty great, that mens record is sitting, ready to be broken (not by me of course!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Really looking forward to this. Got injured last year 4 days before this. It's flat and great grub after it. The 500 I will hand back.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I've entered, going to give ballycotton a miss this year as do this as an alternative.
    What's the likelihood of pacers being available?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

redved wrote: »
    I've entered, going to give ballycotton a miss this year as do this as an alternative.
    What's the likelihood of pacers being available?

There were pacers in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

There were pacers in 2013

What times did they pace for?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

There will be pacers again next year as yet to be determined.last year it was every 5 min interval from 60mins to 120mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

How many took part in this race the last few years? Any particluar reason why you are limiting the entrants to 1200 this year? Although I dont think it was near that level in the last few years...

How many took part in this race the last few years? Any particluar reason why you are limiting the entrants to 1200 this year? Although I dont think it was near that level in the last few years...

We had 900 run it last year,but need to limit numbers allowed as the course wouldn't handle more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Really, I though Mallow was the one course that could hold huge numbers considering most of the roads are big and open...

• Advertisement

Really, I though Mallow was the one course that could hold huge numbers considering most of the roads are big and open...

Lot of narrow points,especially around the 2 mile mark and finishing mile.honestly I don't think we'd get that many more entries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Didn't even realise this race existed so close to home.

Just signed up there- think 70 mins might be a bit fast but have 2.5 months to get ready I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Think I just found my tune-up race for London!

@ meno, you in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Think I just found my tune-up race for London!

@ meno, you in??

Too far to go from Dublin. Meath Half for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

menoscemo wrote: »
    Too far to go from Dublin. Meath Half for me...
    I can give you a lift down. I am doing both races.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

The amount of runners I know that were delighted with their runs in Ballycotton and are now p1ssed off that Mallow is sold out is crazy ! The cap of 1200 seems too low, why it can't be lifted? Surely it would mean more money to Mallow AC ? The course is certainly wide enough to handle a lot more runners .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

There are 4 other 10 milers on in the next 4-5 weeks. Pakie Ryan in Newmarket-on-Fergus, Craughwell AC, Sonny Murphy Kilnaboy and their is one in Cobh as well.

ger664 wrote: »
    There are 4 other 10 milers on in the next 4-5 weeks. Pakie Ryan in Newmarket-on-Fergus, Craughwell AC, Sonny Murphy Kilnaboy and their is one in Cobh as well.

Thx ger, will pass that info on, appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

The amount of runners I know that were delighted with their runs in Ballycotton and are now p1ssed off that Mallow is sold out is crazy ! The cap of 1200 seems too low, why it can't be lifted? Surely it would mean more money to Mallow AC ? The course is certainly wide enough to handle a lot more runners .

I 100% agree with you there Wiggle, I know at least half a dozen people that would be signed up to Mallow now if it was still open, myself included. Seems daft to me that Mallow closed it this year early, limiting the places. Surely they should be trying to build the event on the back of the Ballycotton 10 race seeing as Mallow is much more open and accessible course.
    If Ballycotton can hold 2500, then its ridiculous that Mallow cant hold 1800 or 2000 given how wide the roads are.

Just seems to me that race organisers are trying to get out the idea that their event sells out every year, creating a rush of entries the following year to avoid dissapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

And again there are 4 other races who would gladly have those people who cant run in Mallow. Kilnaboy which was part of the Spring Classic series only had excess of 100 runners last year so there is no chance of it been over subscribed.

To suggest that the Mallow AC are trying to manipulate a situation to boast entries for next year event is utter nonsense when clearly they could take advantage of increased demand this year. The limit of runners in Mallow is probably due to some factor that effects the safety of runners partaking in the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

To suggest that the Mallow AC are trying to manipulate a situation to boast entries for next year event is utter nonsense when clearly they could take advantage of increased demand this year. The limit of runners in Mallow is probably due to some factor that effects the safety of runners partaking in the event.

If I was a betting man, I would put serious money on the fact that next year, there will not be a 1200 limit and they will be heavily advertising the fact that the race "sold out" months beforehand last year so you better get in early bla bla bla...including the obligatory count down of remaining spots on the FB page and Cork Running website and the rush of entries that just coming thick and fast.

That my only point. Not knocking the race at all, its a great event as you can tell im just pi$$ed off I'm not running it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Having done this race for past two years, the bottleneck is on the N20 back over the river where the race is squeezed up on to the hard shoulder to allow the two-way traffic to flow on a Sunday afternoon, As this is early enough in the race it would be a H&S issue if there were many more runners with the traffic only a cone away.

Suggestions that they are manipulating the numbers strikes me as unfair but I would hold fire until they give an official response. What happens in Balyycotton is what happens in Ballycotton and Mallow should do what is best for them.

The 1200 limit is an agreement between the club and An Garda.As the course is narrow as previously mentioned by another poster in places near the start which happen to also be on a main road.As a consequence this will be the last year of the present course on the insistance of An Garda.This is not an attempt to dupe people into entering and hopefully with next years course everyone that wants to will be able to participate.
    Comparing it to Ballycotton is not comparing like with like as the people of Ballycotton are willing to allow the place to be shut down and the surrounding roads to be closed.Mallow is mainly run on main roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mallow closed for entry around the same time last year as well. People who are 'pissed' should have entered before entries sold out, not the organisers fault other people missed the boat.

Having said that...races that sell out really need to start looking at transferring entries. I have an entry that is most likely going to go to waste (can't decide if I want to spend 40 quid on a train etc to do a 'hard training run' )

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Anyone want two numbers for Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

How did ye get on?

Have a look here Anne..two threads about it..

Advertisement