Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesharing help?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Looking for some Techy Help Please:

Cant get apple homesharing to work. Have Desktop, laptop, tablet and apple tv all connected to the same home sharing account but cant get them to connect with each other.

eg cant get desktop/laptop to show on apple tv.

All software up to date and have tried things like changing modem channel and disabling modem security. Guessing its something to do with network settings but online searches have so far failed me.

Cheers for any suggestions of things to try

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ronney wrote: »
    Looking for some Techy Help Please:

Cant get apple homesharing to work. Have Desktop, laptop, tablet and apple tv all connected to the same home sharing account but cant get them to connect with each other.

eg cant get desktop/laptop to show on apple tv.

All software up to date and have tried things like changing modem channel and disabling modem security. Guessing its something to do with network settings but online searches have so far failed me.

What modem / router(s) are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Eircom Xyzel, navy one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Its sad that Eircom havn't responded to it

http://www.apple.com/ie/airport-express/ <---- maybe ? and be done with it ?

http://www.apple.com/ie/airport-extreme/ < " 11ac " be a little future-proof

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gctest50 wrote: »
    Its sad that Eircom havn't responded to it
    Why? They're an ISP, you might as well complain to the ESB that you're having trouble figuring out the attachments to your vacuum cleaner. They provide the internet into the house and if they're giving you a functional router theres no problem from their end.

From my understanding Bonjour is optional, not required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Overheal wrote: »
    Why? They're an ISP, you might as well complain to the ESB that you're having trouble figuring out the attachments to your vacuum cleaner. They provide the internet into the house and if they're giving you a functional router theres no problem from their end..

My point is no-one responded to the post.

If they didn't supply a router it'd be one thing.

Its not a functional router - leaves people mystified

It would be more like your VAX vacuum cleaner not working when plugged in but your old Nilfisk does - when you ask why you don't get an answer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

gctest50 wrote: »
    My point is no-one responded to the post.

If they didn't supply a router it'd be one thing.

Its not a functional router - leaves people mystified

It would be more like your VAX vacuum cleaner not working when plugged in but your old Nilfisk does - when you ask why you don't get an answer

Eircom don't support anything other than their hardware. If you had an issue with connecting a PC or tablet to the internet, they also don't have to take responsibility as once their device is configured correctly, it is up to the manufacturer of the other device to provide support if needed.
    There are hundreds of different devices, OSes, services etc. that use the internet. An ISP cannot be expected to provide technical support for every device out there, and beyond generic troubleshooting steps they shouldn't be expected to know the procedure for all of them.
    The Zyxel is a functional (although rubbish) modem/router which provides internet access and working Wifi so to Eircom the issue does not lie with them.
    Out of interest have you tried turning off the Routers Firewall or setting it to "Low", does this help?

Nick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

yoyo wrote: »
    Eircom don't support anything other than their hardware.

This is a major gripe I've had with eircom. When I signed up for broadband with'em back in 2004, they sent a modem with a single ethernet port. it very quickly became redundant. So went and got our own router and eventually wifi. 6/7 years later they were doing specials with Setanta, but we couldn't get it to work, because we weren't using an Eircom router, like we'd still be expected to use the dingy modem. All Setanta would have needed to do was confirm the ISP the connection was through.

All they need to provide their users is something that accepts their broadband connection and provides wifi in the location. They shouldn't be denying anything else, with closed off features.

There hardware isn't fit for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Have you tried downloading the config file as described here: http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=286&E=0000000000011988349&K=915&Sxi=15&Problem=obj%2811626%29&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb;home;troubleshooting (if that link doesn't work go to the broadband support page & type Apple into the searchbox)

The worst it can do is reset your modem to factory settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Cheers Folks,

Used this link

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=286&E=0000000000011988349&K=915&Sxi=15&Problem=obj%2811626%29&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb%3bhome%3btroubleshooting

And have it working know.

Had turned off my network security, what would be the best one to put on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheers Folks,

Used this link

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=286&E=0000000000011988349&K=915&Sxi=15&Problem=obj%2811626%29&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb%3bhome%3btroubleshooting

And have it working know.

Had turned off my network security, what would be the best one to put on it?

Do you mean the windows firewall? Could you not just let the Apple service through under the exceptions?

Nick

Advertisement