Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on reci/ eccsa

Options
  • 16-12-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

I've had a 4 quotes for a full house rewire from RECI/ ECCA registered electricians.

The difference between the high and low prices is quite stark, around €3k....and each quote is materially different (i.e. it wasn't 3 the same price and one different).

The quotes were all for a very similar quantum of work, in terms of sockets per room etc.

My question would be:

If all the quotes are from RECI/ ECCSA registered electricians, then can I
    expect a fairly similar standard of work done?

Alternatively, can I expect the cheapest guy to be cutting corners?

My thinking is, if its going to be certified, then it has to be of a decent standard of work.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it's no guarantee of good work..

workmanship varies
    wiring rules are sometimes breached too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the above, just to add:
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The quotes were all for a very similar quantum of work, in terms of sockets per room etc.

To make it easier to compare like with like:

1) Draw a sketch of each room showing number of sockets, lights etc. and give this to each of the contractors.

2) Ask them all to quote for the same 2nd fix materials. Personally I like MK although it is a bit more expensive.

3) Ask them all to quote for installing lights that you will supply. Where ever downlighters are to be used it is generally easier for the contractor to supply, but ensure they are all of similar/identical specification.

4) Ask them all to quote sample prices for extras, such as extra socket, extra lighting point.

5) Ensure that all are quoting for wiring the alarm (provide them with a written specification). Seek guidance from a registered alarm installer for how this should be wired (or ask here) if you like.
    If all the quotes are from RECI/ ECCSA registered electricians, then can I
    expect a fairly similar standard of work done?

Simple answer, no.
    An electrical installation can comply fully to the letter of the ETCI regulations but be poorly designed, look terrible, and be completely impractical.

Regulations are sometimes ignored and little is done about it.
    I have reported blatant breaches of regulations to RECI but they have refused to take any action against their members.
    Alternatively, can I expect the cheapest guy to be cutting corners?

No, he may be bad at pricing or desperate for work. This contractor may turn out to be the most conscientious.
    My thinking is, if its going to be certified, then it has to be of a decent standard of work.

Although the standards imposed in this country are far higher than the EU average this is frequently not the case.

For example the following sloppy workmanship can comply with the standards:

1) Electrician refusing to use a measuring tape so that all sockets, light switches are at different heights
    2) Cables clipped to the surface of an internal wall.
    3) Light fittings poorly positioned and/or way out of line.
    4) Cheap, nasty and unmatching 2nd fix materials such sockets and light switches.
    5) Poorly positioned and complete lack of socket outlets.

My advice is to ask the contractors in question if you can see some of the houses that they have previously wired and talk to the customers. Customers will generally tell you the truth and if they are happy will gladly let you see their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Spot on their from 2011. The quotes could be widely different for a number of reason's as he has specified. You have to make sure they are all quoting for the same fixtures/fittings/materials and to the same spec.Cheap or expensive is definitely no guarantee off poor/superb workmanship.

My boss is not great at pricing so he's either mad cheap(usually) or mad expensive but the standard of work will remain constant because its always me doing the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks for the responses folks, very informative and helpful.

Advertisement