Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates on developments around town

Options
  • 17-12-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

So there's been a lot promised in the realm of cultural developments over the past few years- we're to get a new museum at Mary's Church, a new art gallery at Evans home, a new pocket park around the old tower on New Street, a new library on John Street, and a revamped Rothe House. if we even get some of these, it'll be great for Kilkenny.

However, it's difficult to gauge the progress on these developments. Walking around town, one can see the planning notices, but work isn't as evident. I know work is continuing on Mary's Church, but how far along is it, and what's the estimated completion date? There seems to be no work ongoing at Evans Home or the library project. Rothe House has been undergoing a revamp for years, but I walked by yesterday and there was no signs regarding the new Tudor House experience that's being developed. The new pocket park is quite odd- major work was done to conserve and repair the tower, and I remember there was quite a bit of fanfare around this, with local political representatives attending some form of event there, and the papers covering it. Yet nothing since. What's the delay?

Anyway, if anyone has any information on the above, or links regarding the same, I'd appreciate it. I hate how exciting developments are announced here, and then no further communication. How difficult would it be for the authorities to have an update every six months or so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I have seen pictures of restoration and protective work been carried out in St Mary's graveyard. I'm linked to Kilkenny Archeaology company via facebook.

As for the rest I've seen nothing. how many of the projects you mentioned actually have funding approved?

If they've no funding then they're still merely proposals, even with planning permission notices.

Advertisement