Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Logged in just now. Got lucky with spawns and found magnum with few bullets. While cleaning up Barracks I just heard M4 shots. Was killed right away. No contact was made with me... Who ever was that - scumbag.

All happened in the South West Airfield. Well, back to zero again. I dont mind to die, but I want to die with some dignity. Not just shot in a back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

At last got kitted out with some gear and wepons. Now im almost afraid to log on in case I get killed...:eek: I suppose thats one of the attrations of Day Z.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

That is THE attraction to DayZ. Rule No.1 Don't get attached to you're gear. You will die!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Logged in just now. Got lucky with spawns and found magnum with few bullets. While cleaning up Barracks I just heard M4 shots. Was killed right away. No contact was made with me... Who ever was that - scumbag.

Balota Airfield? Sure that's good for nothing but murder and mayhem! And the other airfields aren't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Step one to surviving; Avoid the airfields.

• Advertisement

Don't avoid them, the northwest is the pvp hub of the map. So many great times up there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Step one to surviving; Avoid the airfields.

Survive, as distinct from LIVE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Don't go to the airfield - comb the surroundings first for some bandit loot...

...and bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Okay, story time.

Yesterday I logged into a quiet server, wanted to start making as much ground as I could. Literally as soon as I load into the server it starts filling up in a matter of seconds (must have been a server restart).

I am in Krastonov and I see an armed player jogging down the road to overlook the NEAF, Just beside the School. I move closer to assess if I should take him out or move on. I hear footsteps behind me....fuck.

I turn around and the guy says " Hey, we lost connection to our Teamspeak". He must think I am part of the crew. The guy I was assessing hears his mate talk and comes on over. He says " This guy doesn't look familiar ". *gulp*

2 Armed players and starting to get anxious. I don't say anything just yet. Next I hear more footsteps, another one of their buddies appears and says about Teamspeak etc. The other two are now saying how they don't recognise me.

I decide I have to act now so I try to talk to them calmy. I say " Hey guys, sorry I'm just a randomer, but I'm friendly ". Before I can finish talking a 4th guy appears, he's got a Mosin with a high power scope. 2 of them with M4's and another with a shotty. They are basically asking who I am and if I am part of the group.

I'm sweating like a guy in a Barney suit at a children's birthday party. I just try to casually chat with them, that I am a randomer and just want to be on my way.

I coax them with some ammo, that I have spare M4 ammo. They say "Great, that would be awesome". I place about 2 clips down and say "Well guys, thanks and I'll be on my way". They also reply, seemingly nice " Sure man, have a good one and thanks for the ammo ".

I turn and jog down the road, not looking back to arose suspicion, literally trusting that none of these guys shoot me in the back. As I get to the end of the road, I can hear one of them say "Why didn't you shoot him? He had ammo!". (I had enough M4 ammo to equip at least 2-3 men, a Mosin, an FMX and also a Magnum. I also had tons of med supplies in first aid kits.)

In my head I just said " Fuck this " and started running, went probably about 100 meters? Had to clock a few zombies. Went into a house, closed to doors behind me. I walk into the kitchen and still hear footsteps... another zombie? Nope, hear the sound of bullets being split and then reloading.

I nearly sh!t my pants and run upstairs into the attic-like room, take my Mosin out. If someone as so much poked their head coming up the stairs it would have been blown off.

I waited a few minutes which seemed like forever but couldn't hear anything else, they must have moved on. I wasn't even sure if it was them or another lone wolf like me.

TL;DR: Ended up bumping into 4 guys from a group, had to coax my way out. Ran away and they/someone were following me.

It's situations like this that a game very ever rarely makes you sweat under pressure. Really looking forward to how the game will shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Don't avoid them, the northwest is the pvp hub of the map. So many great times up there

I don't know about this, having spent many hours lurking around NW, traffic is low compared to balota.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So much ghosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So much ghosting

Combat logging bastárd.

Such pussies, the sooner that's fixed, the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

d0gb0y wrote: »
    I don't know about this, having spent many hours lurking around NW, traffic is low compared to balota.

Indeed it's been fairly quiet for a while now and a lot of action happens around electro, although since the patch it may have got slightly busier. Not been around Balota much these days at all. I did have a run in with a guy at NW the other night though, was on a night server and got a lucky spawn at Novy so decided to take a look see and foolishly was running around the top of the ATC with my torch on when I spot a guy below me who takes a shot, so I shout over direct that I'm friendly and this thick French accent says 'OK I will not shoot you' so I climb down the ladder to go about my business and as soon as I step onto terra firma he shoots me in the face...

Also for anyone who cares for such things the TiG server has now been fixed to allow for daylight play in the evenings, hope to see a few of ye there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Also. Whats the "We Rowdy" thing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is this the same as BreakingPoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Riamfada wrote: »
    Is this the same as BreakingPoint?
    Breaking point is a mod of the original dayz mod. The standalone is vanilla dayz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

karma_ wrote: »

Also for anyone who cares for such things the TiG server has now been fixed to allow for daylight play in the evenings, hope to see a few of ye there.

YESS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Daytime sorted lads, server set to 9AM on each 4 hr restart. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Finally got some more time with this, and my session did not get off to a good start. After my last play session, I left off in the church in Stary with an axe and a canteen, so I crept out to see that the town was crawling with zombies. As the supermarket is next door, I thought I'd sneak over and loot it without alerting any zombies.

Surprisingly, I manage to make it into the supermarket, the four zombie outside none the wiser, until some complete tool runs into the supermarket, and straight out the back door. All of the zombies come running in, forget about him and start trying to take me on. I took a few hits and the screen went all blurry, but all of them fell to my axe. To be honest, I didn't know how effect an axe would be against them, seeing as it was the first time I had one.

Having killed six, I decided to just be more aggressive, and basically looted the town, carving a path through the zombies. Eventually got out to the north west airfield, where again, scores of zombies fall to my axe. I finally find a Backpack, and start hoarding everything that isn't blotted down. I managed to get through the entire airfield, looting everything, all the while my screen looks like I smeared vaseline all over it, the zombies are merely blurs that fall to my trusty axe.

Finally I discover two things, first in the last building I was going to check, I find a pistol! My first gun, and with ammo to boot. The second thing I discovered, was when I went into the graphics settings to see what was in there, when I came back out, all the blurriness was totally gone. Some kind of glitch gave me a head ache for about an hour and a half.

Very much enjoying it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

CatInABox wrote: »
    The second thing I discovered, was when I went into the graphics settings to see what was in there, when I came back out, all the blurriness was totally gone. Some kind of glitch gave me a head ache for about an hour and a half.

Besaturation of color is loss of blood. Blurriness is loss of health. Groaning is shock.

Blurriness is the only way to know that you are low on health. You found the "glitch" to remove it. Just be aware that you miss out on that important indicator without it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jabberwock wrote: »
    Besaturation of color is loss of blood. Blurriness is loss of health. Groaning is shock.

Blurriness is the only way to know that you are low on health. You found the "glitch" to remove it. Just be aware that you miss out on that important indicator without it.

Ah, so how long does it that to recover health from a blurry screen then? And how do you go about it? I'm more used to games where picking up a medkit is a cure all! In this game, it just resulted in confusion.

Is getting a blood donation the only way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

I think you also regain blood by getting into a healthy state, ie not been hungry or thirsty and also taking vitimans. Has worked for me a few times anyway. I can take a while though.

You need to eat a ton of food and drink alot of water until you get the "Healing" status on your character.

Alternatively you need to find an IV Start Kit and a Saline bag or an IV Start Kit & a blood bag that contains the same blood type as your own.

These tutorials explain the blood/health situation quite well:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Are there any plans to include cars in the Standalone? I can't stand spending 30 odd mins running towards your squad, only to find they've moved to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is there actual Zombies in this? I'm somewhat relucatant to get into this game basically assuming there will be a somewhat childish community built around just nicking other peoples **** rather then working together

From the few streams I've watched it appears this way anyway. I played the original Addon to Arma for a bit and while was impressed with what might be, definitely didn't buy into the hype it was getting.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Is there actual Zombies in this? I'm somewhat relucatant to get into this game basically assuming there will be a somewhat childish community built around just nicking other peoples **** rather then working together

From the few streams I've watched it appears this way anyway. I played the original Addon to Arma for a bit and while was impressed with what might be, definitely didn't buy into the hype it was getting.

There's very few zombies on the map at the moment as they are trying to optimise the server architecture etc to allow more zombies and players on the map. Generally the map is very lonely and besides the handful of zombies in a city, the only other interaction at the moment is the players. It will change in the future anyway and there will be alot more zombies and alot bigger server capacities (They are aiming for 150 player servers, hopefully more)

From my experience of the standalone so far, there is alot more player interaction compared to the DayZ mod. I'v met more friendlies and also had more of the weird experiences in the standalone compared to the mod.

Mister Man wrote: »
    Are there any plans to include cars in the Standalone? I can't stand spending 30 odd mins running towards your squad, only to find they've moved to somewhere else.

Cars will be functioning within the next year, possibly released when it hits Beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

TheDoc wrote: »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/28/dayz-diaries-the-one-where-andy-decides-never-to-trust-anyone-ever-again/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

People do work together, all the time in this game, their is murdering, banditry and what have you,if you want to survive, it's not that hard in this game, but to get the most out of it, you need to put yourself in the situation where you can die, and that is where the real fun in this game is at the moment, the heart stopping, tense as fúck shootouts or robberies gone wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As Bambi ran in to second floor of police station ( NE airfield ). My buddy was waiting for me near by as there was mosin laying around.
    So I ran in and I got smoked bt dude on second floor... :rolleyes: Again, no warning nothing. I clearly looked like Bambi...
    Well, **** you so... My buddy came from Tower and smoked him back. Justice delivered. You shoot with no warning, you die with no warning.

Started again as Bambi and not even near Berezino.... Bollox :(

Advertisement