Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

My first "proper" DayZ video, I now have a new found respect for all other youtubers, editing and rendering is a pain in the ass. My reneder settings suck as I have no idea what I'm doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

I'm really looking forward to Rocket finishing this game.

Currently it's unplayable for me. Of course this is to be expected as it's pre-alpha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

4Dlolz wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to Rocket finishing this game.

Currently it's unplayable for me. Of course this is to be expected as it's pre-alpha.

Why is it unplayable might I ask? Computer issues or due to bugs?

Why is it unplayable might I ask? Computer issues or due to bugs?

At present the mod is far better than the standalone. It'll take a while to get the standalone up to scratch. When they implement construction as well as a host of other things the community have added to the mod in addition to fixing the bugs, then the game will have a purpose. Right now it's team death match. There is very little players can do. I'm a massive DayZ fan. I just can't wait for it to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

I too got board of the ...get gear ... death match .. die... get gear pattern.

My latest play style is "red cross" I have been running around whit a red hard hat , a back pack full of medical equipment , no weapon, no shirt , no pants :) . I helped 2 fresh spawns , saline bagged a shot guy in electro (his friends didn't harass me). then I went on and spotted two guys in Solnichniy walk up identified myself as a medic and they shot me..... It was actually fun and quite rewarding .... I will try it again. so if ya see a guy with no cloths shouting medic ..... that's me and I'v got some lovely saline for ya

Havok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

This is footage recorded a couple weeks ago on an experimental server. I meet a group of Russian players that kidnap & torture me. It's a bit different to my usual type of DayZ video, make sure you stay till the end. This is the dark side of DayZ

Enjoy!

Edit: Reddit link for those that fancy spreading the cheer :P http://redd.it/1ykolf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

lol..when u started talking I nearly started yapping away to you :D
    really have to get back into it..bf4 sucks

hahaha old habbits :P Have not really played DayZ since this day so must give it a bash soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

After an awful experience with WarZ I thought I never would get an Alpha but I am happy I did with Dayz. I don't have the same graphical issues I used to have and you could easily play hours of the game non stop. So is there clans here? I'd love to do some team play as it seems the best way to enjoy the game. At the moment I am really paranoid about people killing me so when I get the instinct that someone is about to axe me I usually shoot them. I would rather just kill the bandits than be one. :D

There are usually a good few guys from here on our teamspeak playing most nights. Join, say hello & play away. Ts: gaellords.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

what server are ye mainly on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

ktulu123 wrote: »
    There are usually a good few guys from here on our teamspeak playing most nights. Join, say hello & play away. Ts: gaellords.com

Ah cool. I have two other friends playing with me at the moment so will join that team speak. I actually had to run across the whole map today to meet a friend that just started. Took me ages. Great fun playing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Dean's leaving, doubt it will affect the game tho, it kinda belongs to BIStudio anyway, doesn't it?
    He should have gone with a custom engine from the very start tbh...

raymix wrote: »
    Dean's leaving, doubt it will affect the game tho, it kinda belongs to BIStudio anyway, doesn't it?
    He should have gone with a custom engine from the very start tbh...

It's a fantastic concept but it needs a truck load of investment to get the right talent in there with the right idea's. The DayZ standalone, to me anyway, has been somewhat of an after-thought for Bohemia. Strange as it has the potential to be a real cash-cow long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I love how he says there is nothing to do in the game, as lots of people have known since they bought it.

This won't really change either. It's just an endless merry go round of get gear, fight, die, get more gear.

Holsten wrote: »
    I love how he says there is nothing to do in the game, as lots of people have known since they bought it.

This won't really change either. It's just an endless merry go round of get gear, fight, die, get more gear.

DayZ didn't turn out the way I had hoped....

I was hoping for a living, breathing post-apocalyptic world with real-time events. It could have been so much more, something really special....alas, I just hope this won't turn out to be the worst 25 quid I've ever spent.

4Dlolz wrote: »
    DayZ didn't turn out the way I had hoped....

I was hoping for a living, breathing post-apocalyptic world with real-time events. It could have been so much more, something really special....alas, I just hope this won't turn out to be the worst 25 quid I've ever spent.

Yeah I'm the same, haven't played it a while now, probably won't again untill some massive changes come in but I don't see how it can change that much from what it currently is.

Sure it will get more polished, but the core gameplay will always be the same, get gear, die, repeat.

Lesson learned though, don't buy an alpha game.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Squaredude wrote: »
    My reneder settings suck as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Just a heads up, Youtube limits are 30fps and 4Mbps bitrate.
    Since your videos will be re-encoded and lose quality anyway, my suggestions are to encode at higher settings so you suffer less quality loss because of this:

Recording:
    Use fps limiter when recording like Dxtory with Lagarith codec and at least 80 MB/s HDD. Unlike Fraps uncompressed format, dxtory is not bottlenecked by your HDD as much, but does require extra CPU encoding, but with a good CPU the difference in fps would be like 2-5 fps at 1080p.
    Lagarith loss-less codec uses x264 encoder, best color setting for it is YUY2 I believe.

Encoding:
    Codec: H.264
    Profile: High
    Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)
    Level: 4.1 is fine
    Render at max depth
    There is almost negligible difference between VBR 1 and VBR 2 pass, if your video is short or you have good CPU go for VBR 2
    Target bitrate - 8
    Max bitrate - 16
    (these are optimal bitrates, works well with youtube, not much pixelation and will keep file sizes smaller - easier on bad internet connection). Since I got efibre now, I prefer using even higher bitrates. Blu-ray quality is around 30Mbits for comparison.

I have tested few different combinations of configuration, this is what I've found to be most optimal so far...
    Let me show you the difference in choice of bitrates after youtube downgrades it (the more you change scenery like rotating cam, the more pixelated it becomes):
    720 @ 6Mbit
    720 @ 16Mbit
    1080p @ 8Mbit
    1080p @ 16Mbit

Sorry for the wall of text and offtopic in dayz thread, but I hope my trial/error helps people new to encoding. Would love to hear other people's settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yeah I'm the same, haven't played it a while now, probably won't again untill some massive changes come in but I don't see how it can change that much from what it currently is.

Sure it will get more polished, but the core gameplay will always be the same, get gear, die, repeat.

Lesson learned though, don't buy an alpha game.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

It's Dayz as it always was. If you were expecting 'Dayz: a tale of two brothers', you bought the wrong game.

I've lost interest in it myself and picked up Arma III instead. Alot more fun in Altis Life as your not shot on sight and can have banter with everyone.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

It's Dayz as it always was. If you were expecting 'Dayz: a tale of two brothers', you bought the wrong game.

I've lost interest in it myself and picked up Arma III instead. Alot more fun in Altis Life as your not shot on sight and can have banter with everyone.

I never played the mod, I bought it due to the type and looking for something new. I was wrong, very wrong.

• Advertisement

I never played the mod, I bought it due to the type and looking for something new. I was wrong, very wrong.

If Rocket has made his money and is now thinking of buggering off, then perhaps it's for the best....

At least now it will allow new people to come in - professional developers as opposed to weekend modders - that will take the concept forward.

Dean Hall should apply for a job at EA - they appreciate people with his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

raymix wrote: »
    Just a heads up, Youtube limits are 30fps and 4Mbps bitrate.
    Since your videos will be re-encoded and lose quality anyway, my suggestions are to encode at higher settings so you suffer less quality loss because of this:

Recording:
    Use fps limiter when recording like Dxtory with Lagarith codec and at least 80 MB/s HDD. Unlike Fraps uncompressed format, dxtory is not bottlenecked by your HDD as much, but does require extra CPU encoding, but with a good CPU the difference in fps would be like 2-5 fps at 1080p.
    Lagarith loss-less codec uses x264 encoder, best color setting for it is YUY2 I believe.

Encoding:
    Codec: H.264
    Profile: High
    Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)
    Level: 4.1 is fine
    Render at max depth
    There is almost negligible difference between VBR 1 and VBR 2 pass, if your video is short or you have good CPU go for VBR 2
    Target bitrate - 8
    Max bitrate - 16
    (these are optimal bitrates, works well with youtube, not much pixelation and will keep file sizes smaller - easier on bad internet connection). Since I got efibre now, I prefer using even higher bitrates. Blu-ray quality is around 30Mbits for comparison.

I have tested few different combinations of configuration, this is what I've found to be most optimal so far...
    Let me show you the difference in choice of bitrates after youtube downgrades it (the more you change scenery like rotating cam, the more pixelated it becomes):
    720 @ 6Mbit
    720 @ 16Mbit
    1080p @ 8Mbit
    1080p @ 16Mbit

Sorry for the wall of text and offtopic in dayz thread, but I hope my trial/error helps people new to encoding. Would love to hear other people's settings.

Cheers for that. It was just the settings in sony vegas that I was using to render that was messing up my videos, took me a few hours of trying different settings but I think I have it sorted now. Yeah my internet is rubbish so I just use my phones 3g to upload anything.

Can guys please read the article before coming out with stupid comments like the DayZ Sub Reddit has turned into. HE IS NOT LEAVING NOW. He plans to leave in a year or more when the game is finished & only requiring updates etc. He has always said that he wants to return home & set up his own studio. It's not some sort of smash & grab for people's cash, the game is not finished yet. There are loads more features to be implemented.

Also it's not just about get gear, die/kill, repeat. Plenty of other things to do in it ie. interacting with other players etc. Soon there will be base building, crafting vehicles & more.

Patience is lost on modern gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm just waiting on server persistent tents and cars to store stuff in. Hunting, canabilisim. Full hillybilly psycho. Yeahhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I'm just waiting on server persistent tents and cars to store stuff in. Hunting, canabilisim. Full hillybilly psycho. Yeahhhhhhhh

Get 'em Skeeter!

Also it's not just about get gear, die/kill, repeat. Plenty of other things to do in it ie. interacting with other players etc. Soon there will be base building, crafting vehicles & more.

Patience is lost on modern gamers

Well it really is, I mean all that stuff is just an add on, it's just another form of gear.

So get gear, build base, die, repeat. Get vehicle, die, repeat, etc.. etc...

Interacting with players is just fantastic, "Hello".. BOOM! You are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Well it really is, I mean all that stuff is just an add on, it's just another form of gear.

So get gear, build base, die, repeat. Get vehicle, die, repeat, etc.. etc...

Interacting with players is just fantastic, "Hello".. BOOM! You are dead.

I hate Frankie but the phrase "To get shot on sight you must be in sight" is quite apt.

This game is fun when you play it with a group, plenty of things to be done.

They should build a wall around Elektro and have turrets on the walls. Treat it like a sanctuary of sorts complete with civilians walking around. Every player spawns in Elektro (firing a gun is prohibited). Anything outside the walls is The Zone and if you stroll out there, you're fair game.

I hate Frankie but the phrase "To get shot on sight you must be in sight" is quite apt.

This game is fun when you play it with a group, plenty of things to be done.

This, the guy is a ballbag(frankie) but it's correct. Have some smarts about how you interact with players & some great things can happen. I would also recommend playing in a group!

• Advertisement

This, the guy is a ballbag(frankie) but it's correct. Have some smarts about how you interact with players & some great things can happen. I would also recommend playing in a group!

Why is Frankie a ballbag?

Advertisement