Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Started playing a bit again. Loads of changes since I last played !

Feel like a noob again.

Stalking others and watching them loot up & fight other players is great fun.

What servers do ye usually play on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Korvanica wrote: »
    Started playing a bit again. Loads of changes since I last played !

Feel like a noob again.

Stalking others and watching them loot up & fight other players is great fun.

What servers do ye usually play on ?

I usually stick to one. "The Fortunate Ones". It doesn't crash often and I don't come across as many hackers as I have on other servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Riamfada wrote: »
    I usually stick to one. "The Fortunate Ones". It doesn't crash often and I don't come across as many hackers as I have on other servers.

how would one go about finding and assassinating you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭PMC83

Seems vehicles are starting to appear on public servers, approached 2 lads tonight who where having a little car trouble, shot me dead pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

PMC83 wrote: »
    Seems vehicles are starting to appear on public servers, approached 2 lads tonight who where having a little car trouble, shot me dead pretty quick!

It was a truck I assume ?

There are 3 trucks spawning on each server since the last patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Tzardine wrote: »
    It was a truck I assume ?

There are 3 trucks spawning on each server since the last patch.

I think there's more than that, remember seeing a ma with the spawn points. I've confirmed one definitely spawns at Dolina.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

They are all the possible spawn points. 3 only ever spawn at server restart & they are currently not persistent(They will be gone once the server restarts)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

After some more playtime. I think i'll be leaving Dayz for another while. Needs a lot of work. Alpha and all that.

Being on the top of a block of flats and 100m away from the nearest zombie and hearing zombie noises loud enough that they could be attached to the side of your head is pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Korvanica wrote: »
    After some more playtime. I think i'll be leaving Dayz for another while. Needs a lot of work. Alpha and all that.

Being on the top of a block of flats and 100m away from the nearest zombie and hearing zombie noises loud enough that they could be attached to the side of your head is pretty annoying.
    Along with the constant 'eating' and 'opening of cans' sound bites that randomly go off for no reason!

Does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Current experimental build has sound fixes in so you might see some improvement in that.

EDIT: Eugene confirmed gunshots have been fixed on Exp too so thats a plus! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

The suicide animations are quite morbid in the experimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You can commit suicide now?

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

New mini update, hopefully it fixes the loot spawning and gunfire sounds.
    Have to say its nice to see the deerstands actually spawning stuff although its mostly rubish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Eugh. Just finished my finals and got a 2l bottle of coke and turn off the phone. Time for some DayZ and me time. Fecking servers are all down.

BallZ

Here's my steam if anyone wants to add Steam ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

People are going to forget this game ever existed when H1Z1 comes out next month.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Eugh. Just finished my finals and got a 2l bottle of coke and turn off the phone. Time for some DayZ and me time. Fecking servers are all down.

BallZ

Here's my steam if anyone wants to add Steam ID
    Servers were initially down for an update, but are now down due to a DDOS attack.

Dayum wrote: »
    People are going to forget this game ever existed when H1Z1 comes out next month.

Hugely unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Hugely unlikely.

i would tend to agree with Timmyctc - most people forget the history of armed assault . It is designed to be a military simulator not call of duty arcade game. Now before you COD and bf lovers start attacking that statement let me clear it up.
    H1Z1 will be doing a catch all, it will be forgiving game and monetized to make money.

Armed assault and the original Operation Flashpoint (OFP) is a harsh game with a very simple rule - you die you lose everything (obviously mission designed dependent). The dayz mod is what brought people to buy armed assault game and now the dayz game in first place.

Bohemia have a core group of followers prior to dayz mod that like the harsh environment that the OFP/armed assault franchise have developed. Together with mod developers that bring you blastcore/A.C.R.E/A.C.E etc it bring a tactical co operative experience that in my opinion cannot be matched by any other game. Simply because it requires disciple and teamwork to achieve and Rambo's need not apply.

Bohemia have sold millions of copies of DAYZ game now. yes when h1z1 comes out a big chunk will migrate to it and i say farewell. The positive i will take out of it is that future development will be catered for the core following instead of COD/BF kiddies and for Bohemia they will have less whining b**** pestering them to make the game easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Making the game easier would really turn me off it, I call for making the game harder which is the route Bohemia seem to be taking, not allowing a player have an m4 with 6 mags, grenades and flashbangs but rather taking up inventory spaces with splints, medicine, disinfectant etc, stuff that would be needed in real life, making people decide between life saving inventory or life taking inventory.

Bring it I say

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

So i'm looking to buy DayZ, i know I'm a little late but I think it's time for me to give it a shot. I know the basics of it but can anyone recommend some good youtubers/videos that will help me learn more about the game etc..

• Advertisement

Try watching people live streaming on twitch. That way you'll see more of the game and not just the highlight reel you'd get on youtube. Sacriel can be quite good to watch http://www.twitch.tv/sacriel and if you want a more psychotic view of the game watch Ceremor http://www.twitch.tv/ceremor

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

masti123 wrote: »
    So i'm looking to buy DayZ, i know I'm a little late but I think it's time for me to give it a shot. I know the basics of it but can anyone recommend some good youtubers/videos that will help me learn more about the game etc..

Main thing to learn when you start off is how to find a melee weapon to deal with the zeds and how to navigate the map.

For the melee weapon check sheds(the smaller buildings around houses).
    For the map navigation, use an external website such ashttp://www.izurvive.com/ and clouds always move eastward(i don't think its changed)
    Mastering the inventory system is also essential so play around with it
    I would also recommend getting away from the coast as this is where most people spawn and die
    Find someone to play with, the downside to this is meeting up as its a large map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Laviski wrote: »
    i would tend to agree with Timmyctc - most people forget the history of armed assault . It is designed to be a military simulator not call of duty arcade game. Now before you COD and bf lovers start attacking that statement let me clear it up.
    H1Z1 will be doing a catch all, it will be forgiving game and monetized to make money.

Armed assault and the original Operation Flashpoint (OFP) is a harsh game with a very simple rule - you die you lose everything (obviously mission designed dependent). The dayz mod is what brought people to buy armed assault game and now the dayz game in first place.

Bohemia have a core group of followers prior to dayz mod that like the harsh environment that the OFP/armed assault franchise have developed. Together with mod developers that bring you blastcore/A.C.R.E/A.C.E etc it bring a tactical co operative experience that in my opinion cannot be matched by any other game. Simply because it requires disciple and teamwork to achieve and Rambo's need not apply.

Bohemia have sold millions of copies of DAYZ game now. yes when h1z1 comes out a big chunk will migrate to it and i say farewell. The positive i will take out of it is that future development will be catered for the core following instead of COD/BF kiddies and for Bohemia they will have less whining b**** pestering them to make the game easier.

DayZ is out a year and they've only added a vehicle to it...

The mod is vastly superior to the standalone even at this point and that is not without it's problems. How much longer are people going to use the excuse that it's in alpha? The game is in limbo and will forever be unfinished...it's not a case of saying "oh, well....they're working on it"....the issue is with the engine. The limitations are with the engine and for that to be brought to an acceptable state, the whole engine needs to be changed which means scrapping the whole thing and starting from ground zero. The thought that these people, supposedly with a knowledge of coding, hadn't foreseen the problems when this whole facade began is an absolute indictment of their incompetencies and I for one have definitely zero hope of this game ever being finished. The creator is jumping ship and has already gone on record (for those that don't keep up to date with all the news) that DayZ standalone is categorically nothing like what he envisioned and that he would love to go off and start something new. They already have your money...there is no incentive or will financially or otherwise to go on and evolve and develop the game to any substantial level relating to what we even remotely imagined it would be at this point...

H1Z1 whether it's a catch all game or not will draw big crowds and will live or die on it's promises. I for one am looking forward to it and if it turns out to be a good game then F DayZ....right in the ass!

H1Z1 looks to be very 'monetized' so my verdict is out until reviews come in.

I'd easily pay upfront for a good zombie game, but paying for gear ruins it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Taylor365 wrote: »

I'd easily pay upfront for a good zombie game, but paying for gear ruins it basically.

how so, they've not announced prices or any micro items yet.

All they've got is the 2 early access types

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

They have stated multiple times that you will not be able to buy gear that you need to survive. They will only be selling cosmetic ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Varik wrote: »
    how so, they've not announced prices or any micro items yet.

All they've got is the 2 early access types

They've confirmed that they are allowing the following for micro-transactions:
    • Character Slots
    • Wearables/Cosmetics (Which may include weapon skins)
    • Emotes
    • Item Crates

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/h1z1-microtransactions-will-only-include-things-that-are-fair/1100-6419202/

http://mp1st.com/2014/04/22/h1z1-microtransactions-will-cosmetics-guns-boosts-play-win-purchasable/#.VJii3__mQKA

DayZ is out a year and they've only added a vehicle to it...

The mod is vastly superior to the standalone even at this point and that is not without it's problems. How much longer are people going to use the excuse that it's in alpha? The game is in limbo and will forever be unfinished...it's not a case of saying "oh, well....they're working on it"....the issue is with the engine. The limitations are with the engine and for that to be brought to an acceptable state, the whole engine needs to be changed which means scrapping the whole thing and starting from ground zero. The thought that these people, supposedly with a knowledge of coding, hadn't foreseen the problems when this whole facade began is an absolute indictment of their incompetencies and I for one have definitely zero hope of this game ever being finished. The creator is jumping ship and has already gone on record (for those that don't keep up to date with all the news) that DayZ standalone is categorically nothing like what he envisioned and that he would love to go off and start something new. They already have your money...there is no incentive or will financially or otherwise to go on and evolve and develop the game to any substantial level relating to what we even remotely imagined it would be at this point...

H1Z1 whether it's a catch all game or not will draw big crowds and will live or die on it's promises. I for one am looking forward to it and if it turns out to be a good game then F DayZ....right in the ass!

^^ That post was so misinformed I don't know where to begin. The Alpha "excuse" will last as long as the game remains in Alpha (Which is currently as long as they indicated when the game was first released in Alpha this time last year) If you understand what the term Alpha means that would help your argument btw.

The Mod was exactly that. A modification of an existing game. Hence why it took a fraction of the time to complete and why there are so many fundamental things wrong with it. I love DayZero so very much but there are a million and one things that don't entirely make any sense but you just have to get used to. The reason for a standalone game was to eradicate that. The Real Virtuality engine isn't ideal but its something that the devs seemingly have had to work with and have worked around. Dean Hall said the game isn't the way he personally had envisaged it. It doesn't mean it'll be unplayable or unenjoyable. And he has indeed gone off and started his own company. So what? Dean Hall, despite being influential in the creation of DayZ is nowhere near a talented enough programmer to bring the whole dream to fruition. He was effectively replaced as lead programmer by Brian Hicks et al months ago.

All in all I'd say your critique of the game is bad and you should feel bad.

SOE and H1Z1 confirmed that microtransactions would be cosmetic afair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Another day another complaint about standalone....

Some people read the notice when buying the game and are prepared to wait as they have faith standalone will get there in the end. Some people actually trust Bohemia to make a good game considering they have a history of making good games.

• Advertisement

ktulu123 wrote: »
    They have stated multiple times that you will not be able to buy gear that you need to survive. They will only be selling cosmetic ****e
    Its SOE.

I don't trust them after they ruined Infantry back in 2000.

Guarantee there will be a catch...

Advertisement