Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

i was and still am willing to deal with issues, but over a year after the alpha release and there is still problems in the game that had already been fixed in the mod is a joke and the "alpha" excuse isnt good enough at this stage.

I bought dayz played it a good bit now havent played it for about 6 months gonna wait till its somewhat playable, not gonna fuss about the state of the game or get mad. Played games like rust and now will play h1z1. Plenty of games around to play. If not happy move on and dont waste energy thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Jesus guys .....

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Keep it civil folks. No more 'fanboy' or 'butt hurt' talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

not sure i can face another alpha tbh i will probably wait.

on a related note i just played arma 3 epoch, boring doesn't begin to describe it. it's dayz with no zombies and less loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

froog wrote: »
    not sure i can face another alpha tbh i will probably wait.

on a related note i just played arma 3 epoch, boring doesn't begin to describe it. it's dayz with no zombies and less loot.

Never got into Epoch or Overpoch myself, it felt alot like Wasteland with the amount of vehicles and types you could get. If I wanted to play Wasteland I'd join a Wasteland server.

I personally found Origins to be the best of the bunch when it came to the mod variants. Hit the nail on the the head in terms of the post apocalyptic zombie survival theme and adding new content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Cravez wrote: »
    Never got into Epoch or Overpoch myself, it felt alot like Wasteland with the amount of vehicles and types you could get. If I wanted to play Wasteland I'd join a Wasteland server.

I personally found Origins to be the best of the bunch when it came to the mod variants. Hit the nail on the the head in terms of the post apocalyptic zombie survival theme and adding new content.

What is origins like? Have you played DayZero? I quite like that but heard good things about Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Timmyctc wrote: »
    What is origins like? Have you played DayZero? I quite like that but heard good things about Origins.

There's alot of content in the mod, a breakdown:
    - Modded Taviana Map (my favourite) with added islands and the world is populated with more broken down/rusted vehicles & set pieces to add Immersion to the world (also without impacting game performance)
    - New humanity system: 3 levels of each rank or both Heros and Bandits
    - Selectable skins and starting locations
    - Housing System: Depends on your humanity rank which blueprint you can use, takes time/resources to build. Housing looks very post apocalyptic
    - Custom vehicles: Scrap APC's, Scrap boats, Patchwork choppers etc. It does contain vanilla DayZ vehicles as well.
    - Custom Inventory System: Allows you to carry two Primary weapons easily (as well as Sidearm) and able to use body armor.
    - You can reinforce vehicles to add protection to wheels, windows and other vulnerable areas
    - Map has new islands/landmasses
    - NPC City located on an Island guarded by heavily armed NPC's. Best weapons/loot comes from here
    - Custom model zombies
    - Barter/Trader Island
    - Music is much better/creepier than vanilla DayZ
    - Latest patch has added new custom weapons

All I can think of at the moment, the 1.8 future version might have a new enemy/monster in the game as well. Overall the atmosphere of Origins is top notch. It was at one point the more popular mod until Epoch was released. It's a little more awkward to set up the mod now as the mod isn't on DayZ commander anymore. Go to their Facebook page, link to the latest version torrent is there. Drop the folder into your Arma 2: OA folder and there is a server list where you can immedietely boot into them.

I haven't played/seen DayZero, is it any good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I'd suggest maybe trying the Arma 3 Overpoch Mod on Chernarus, it's basically DayZ with decent guns, amazing frame rate, no bull****(Horticulture), no lag, base building, no zombies(There are AI Monsters that blow up near you etc). Played it the last week before H1Z1 came out & I was hugely impressed. Only problem is, people do tend to stay near the coast. Myself & my squad want fights up north so hopefully they do something to sort this out soon. Here's a highlights video I made on it playing over the last week:

Edit: Sorry forgot to tell you how to get the thing :P Download Arma 3 Launcher & download the following mods: "All in Arma Terrain Pack"(Make sure to make a backup of your Arma 3 Wasteland version of this if you have it, they overwrite each other & are not the same), "Emod", "Epoch" & "MAS Weapons". Then either activate them in the expansion list in Arma 3 & join through the game by filtering "ccg" or use either the CCG Launcher or the Arma 3 Launcher to join servers. Currently I think there are only two servers, I play on server 5. Hopefully shoot you in there :)

I know this is a DayZ thread but considering the recent talk of the H1Z1 launch I thought id mention. I see that Sony are offering refunds on H1Z1 because of the included ability to buy weapons drops.

Having pumped upwards of 100 euro into Battlefield 3 Map Packs for the Xbox I have no intention of paying for a game and then paying to play it or playing against guys buying gear.

I was open to H1Z1 but Ill stick with DayZ.

Ill stick with DayZ.

Link to Refund Information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Riamfada wrote: »
    I know this is a DayZ thread but considering the recent talk of the H1Z1 launch I thought id mention. I see that Sony are offering refunds on H1Z1 because of the included ability to buy weapons drops.

Having pumped upwards of 100 euro into Battlefield 3 Map Packs for the Xbox I have no intention of paying for a game and then paying to play it or playing against guys buying gear.

I was open to H1Z1 but Ill stick with DayZ.

Ill stick with DayZ.

Link to Refund Information

A refund which 0.5% have applied for apparently.

99.5% are happy with it and don't want a refund.

I love Dayz, H1Z1 also has potential. It's ok to like both you know. Don't get why people have to hate on one.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    I love Dayz, H1Z1 also has potential. It's ok to like both you know. Don't get why people have to hate on one.

Dont get me wrong, Im open to both. I am not open to playing a survival game against people who have paid for better gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Dont get me wrong, Im open to both. I am not open to playing a survival game against people who have paid for better gear.

I don't actually think it's fair to compare Dayz and H1Z1.

H1Z1 is an arcade style version of DayZ. DAYZ is a hardcore survival game based on ARMA , a complex military SIM. H1Z1 is more of a relaxed arcade style game from what I can see and my limited experience playing it yesterday.

Ignore the mass hysteria dude, it's not pay to win. What you can do is, pay to get some gear air dropped into an area near you. This plane travels extremely slow & drops the crate very slowly. Most of the server will hear or see the crate drop & naturally head towards it. This means the player that called the air drop in is not guaranteed to actually receive the items. I've been reading & seeing things that near all of these drops turn into massive battles for the loot and more than half the time the person who called it in doesn't get anything. They have certain restraints in like only a certain few can be called in every so often & that they can not be called in if the server population is lower than 150.

Here is the new list of what you can call in in these crates, taken from one of the developers posts on Reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2sopo9/update_about_airdrops_and_my_personal_apology/
    H1Z1 Airdrop Events and drop percentages
    65% chance to call in one of these airdrops

The Caveman
    Bow 1x
    Bundle of Arrows 2x
    Torch 1x
    Waist pack 1x
    7 Zombies
    The Welder
    Wrench 1x
    Hammer 1x
    Metal Sheets 4x
    Metal Pipes 2x
    Weapon Repair Kit 1x
    7 Zombies
    The Medic
    First Aid Kits 2x
    Bandages 5x
    Cloth 6x
    Purified Water 2x
    Saline 2x
    7 Zombies
    The Demolition Man
    IED 2x
    Lighter 1x
    Landmine 1x
    Flares 2x
    Smoke Flare 2x
    Ethonol 1x
    7 Zombies
    The Builder
    Nails 20x
    Furnace 1x
    Logs 4x
    Metal Bits 10x
    Scrap Metal 10x
    Wood Axe 1x
    7 Zombies
    The Farmer
    Tamper 10x
    Corn Seeds 10x
    Wheat Seeds 10x
    Fertilizer 10x
    Purified Water 5x
    7 Zombies
    The Hiker
    Motorcycle Helmet 1x
    Military Backpack 1x
    Goggles 1x
    Binoculars 1x
    Compass 1x
    7 Zombies

12.5 % chance to call in one of these airdrops

Life of the Party
    IED 5x
    Swizzle 20x
    Moonshine 15x
    Flare 30x
    7 Zombies
    10.0% Chance to call in this airdrop
    The Hobo
    Shotgun 1x
    Shells 12x
    Moonshine 2x
    Torch 1x
    Twine 1x
    Bear Sandwich 1x
    7 Zombies
    The Lone Wolf
    Pistol 1x
    Ammo.45 14x
    Logs 2x
    Wolf Sandwich 1x
    Animal Trap 1x
    Deer Bladder 2x
    7 Zombies

So it's not all bad, the game is actually great fun. Once the servers have a bit more stability & the stupid internet hysteria dies down, I can see a lot of people coming back to it.

Edit: Sorry this should probably be in the H1Z1 thread, I just think fans of DayZ should give this game a shot.

i think p2w in an alpha is one of the ****tiest things i've ever seen in gaming tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Pretty funny review I found on H1z1. Even though it's been patched since the review I can't see the pay to win policy changing too much. Personally I just don't see why people would pay for early access to a free to play game no one will probably be playing in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Interesting thing happened last night.

I was going through Cherno when I ran into some random geared guy. Little did i know he was a dick and proceeded to take me hostage.

MJM2Gd9.jpg

After about 2-3mins we started to come under fire from 2 angles. Now while all this is happening i'm shouting out our location over chat :pac:

Suddenly the back door opens and another armed attacker enters and begins opening fire on my capture. Unfortunately he misses and ends up getting wounded himself and runs outside to heal.

My capture thinks this is his opportunity to finish off the other player but as he runs around the building a Mosin shot rings out and next thing my capture is lying face down unconscious.

YgUYSgs.jpg

After the original armed player takes his spoils i sneak out and take what i can from my ex capture.

I leave the scene with some ruined gear and a tiny bit of Stockholm syndrome.

thItVkX.jpg

Nice pants.

I only go to Cherno with the expectation that Ill be dead after 30 minutes. Im heading in tonight with an AK101 and some pumpkins. Will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Pretty funny review I found on H1z1. Even though it's been patched since the review I can't see the pay to win policy changing too much. Personally I just don't see why people would pay for early access to a free to play game no one will probably be playing in a week or two.

Did you miss Ktulu's post above?
    The reddit hivemind spoils so many ****ing games imo.
    Its not p2w insofar you pay for gear you aren't guaranteed of getting.
    If anyone has played Dayzero, it seems to be similar to purchasing the ability to trigger a heli crash near your location. Which is just a beacon for any and everyone to flock to and cause a mini battle royale. People on reddit just expect devs to make an entirely free game and pander to the masses every whim, which funnily enough, is almost what SOE did because the airdrops were suggested on reddit waaay back when.

Tl;Dr its not p2w its p2hascoigbgaotlfi (Pay to have a small chance of instantly getting better gear as opposed to looting for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Dam sunday drinking:(

Woke up this morning for work with a hangover and an email telling me i bought H1Z1 last night on my phone...buyers remorse!! I was going to get it at some stage but i was going to wait till the dust settled a little after release. Looks like ill be playing it tonight now though.

Ive read up about the airdrops and nothing there makes me think it P2W,as long as the percentage of rare guns/loots appearing in them is low id say it will be fine. Although i say that having not played any of the game yet so i dont really know. It seems to me this is no worse than say the missions in epoch,overpoch etc. Those missions have rare weapon crates that can tool up a whole squad yet they dont ruin the game imo,as there hard to get and no matter how many people you run with there is no guarantee you will get them.

Ive kinda had my fill of early access and i really did want to wait a little while for H1Z1 till the could polish it a little but looking forward to having a bash none the less. To me it looks more state of decay than dayz,guess ill find out over the next few days

It's a mix of all the survival games i'd say. It is more or less a 3D 1st/3rd Person Project Zomboid. It's excellent, currently editing footage of an airdrop that one of the boys called in last night & the huge fight that ensued.

Seeing as this is the DayZ thread, here is the latest Dev Blog. They seem to be tackling the hacking issue this month:
    Greetings Survivors!

As we move forward with January's stable branch update (0.53) the focus of the gameplay programming and production teams is primarily on security. As mentioned prior in the September 15 Status Report - only so much can be done in tandem with engine and gameplay changes coming with every update (and maintain a rapid update frequency to stable branch). That said, as the primary vulnerability on the security side for DayZ right now is less on engine and/or scripting and more on modifying/accessing the process memory we have several Q1 goals we are aiming to complete.

Deployment of a new form of BattlEye
    This has been delayed to allow testing/regression around any potential bugs and/or compatibility issues so as not to cause any major issues to those participating in Early Access
    Server side sanity checks and protection against certain currently exploited methods
    Closer work with Valve and the VAC team
    This will initially be seen by allowing players to report in-game suspected cheaters and will expand from there to a program that best fits DayZ and how it operates
    Expanded vigilance in reporting all known tools and methods currently used to access the DayZ process for less than honorable methods.
    Beyond that, Q1 has a good deal of exciting work for DayZ. Be it work on the new infected AI, to implementation of the central economy or diseases - this should be an exciting few months.
    On the note of work to come, I'd like to expand upon confusion around persistence - how it is intended to operate, and the role that weekly persistence wipes currently serve.

Persistence is a core pillar of DayZ and its design. Currently persistence functionality is tied to the incomplete economy functions. As we expand upon the systems surrounding the central economy - What is saved/How it is saved, Cleanup, Respawn, etc will be handled properly. In addition to that, the secondary cause of persistence wipes (issues with reading modifiers on saved items, improperly saved items, etc) can be addressed.
    Once we have addressed these two issues, persistence can and will be moved from an "opt-in" feature, to a core function of DayZ - and something that is universal across all servers. Once this is complete, I personally look forward to truly seeing the "camp/base building" side of the title start to be more universally adopted. Be it vehicles, barricaded buildings, tents, containers, or even farms setup via horticulture.

In addition, if you have any questions surrounding this topic (or any others) - I encourage you to head over to the Developer Discussion subforums at the official DayZ forums. Eugen and myself both are accessible via the Service section.

I wish I could bundle a microphone with every copy of DayZ.
    - Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Link: http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-12-jan-15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I'm addicted to DayZ. Finally after such a long time waiting I had the chance over christmass to get into it for a bit. It has it's ups and downs, but it is a great game. Was playing it on a friends computer so only had a bit of time on it.

Got myself a macbook recently (before people tell me I should of got a PC, it's for work). Plan on bootcamping it so I can play DayZ too, but been having some trouble due to it having an SSD. But yeah super addicted to DayZ and really can't wait for my next fix. been looking a bit at H1Z1, and it does look good, and more importantly stable, but I think it's got a long way to go before it get's close to DayZ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Killed by another KoS kunt. :mad: My toon was going for months as well.

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone is playing DayZ in a clan or anything?

Would be good to have a group to join up with. Game can go stale solo after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Lads some dayz competition or something on tonight in survivor games on twitch like 100k watching dayz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Has H1Z1 completely killed the Dayz thread.. Hopped online to play Dayz for the first time in a long while. I see vechicle have been added and game seems fairly stable to play.

Glebee wrote: »
    Has H1Z1 completely killed the Dayz thread.. Hopped online to play Dayz for the first time in a long while. I see vechicle have been added and game seems fairly stable to play.

I can't see H1Z1 outlasting dayz tbh. no aspect of it seems better done than dayz.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I really want to try h1z1, but Dayz has become something else in the last month, they really have stepped up their game and things look very promising now!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Glebee wrote: »

I hopped into the Irish T.S. twice last week to play the game but no one was in there. Looks like people are taking a break from it. I still play it most days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Lads, is there a group meet/clan to join for newbies. New to this pc gaming and dayz. Can barely control my inventory. Would like to play with more experienced people who could guide me or alternatively use me as Captain Decoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

cursai wrote: »
    Lads, is there a group meet/clan to join for newbies. New to this pc gaming and dayz. Can barely control my inventory. Would like to play with more experienced people who could guide me or alternatively use me as Captain Decoy.

You could try here: http://gaellords.com/forum/

The IP for the Teamspeak server is on that site too, however I'm not sure if anyone is playing nowadays.

Advertisement