Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

its all good, glitches aren't as bad as they are made out to be! but they do exist, and if you die? ferk it, start again, because you will get killed eventually regardless!

and by clipping issues do you mean the sound clippings? because if so, its easy to recognize them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

vlad2009 wrote: »
    its all good, glitches aren't as bad as they are made out to be! but they do exist, and if you die? ferk it, start again, because you will get killed eventually regardless!

and by clipping issues do you mean the sound clippings? because if so, its easy to recognize them

Last I played (About a month ago) zeds were clipping through doors and walls which really ruined it for me.

But also, working hard for all your gear and getting topped by a zed you've shot three times but hasn't registered the hits is frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brianblaze wrote: »
    Last I played (About a month ago) zeds were clipping through doors and walls which really ruined it for me.

But also, working hard for all your gear and getting topped by a zed you've shot three times but hasn't registered the hits is frustrating!

This is why I haven't played it in about a year. I'd love to but I find this much too irritating. Hopefully they'll figure it out eventually.

It's one of those issues that has me perplexed, because it's so easy to do proper path finding.

they are working on it, and it does still exist but not nearly as bad as it was say 2 months ago. you just have to be careful really, they have also added a lot more zombies so people don't kill each other on sight and you have to be more cautious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Zombies currently do clip through walls but not doors (not really any consolation I guess) but if you close all the doors on a place they do wander around the building trying to get in but they eventually clip in.

I have a feeling it won't be fixed until the new renderer is completed, which will be by end of March so hopefully won't have to wait too long. Certain stuff hasn't been fixed because fixing it now means they have to re-do with the new renderer also (doubling work).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Doing my head I'm looking for a PSO 1 scope for my AK. Found a bipod in a bag yesterday so just need to get the scope and a rail, have about 300 rounds of ammo so I will be a defender of Bambi's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seeing as most people same to play on private hive's, what servers do boardsie's play on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lukker- wrote: »
    Seeing as most people same to play on private hive's, what servers do boardsie's play on?

I only ever really play on the Fortunate Ones server. Its almost always full so i never really come across server hoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Riamfada wrote: »
    I only ever really play on the Fortunate Ones server. Its almost always full so i never really come across server hoppers.

+1 for the Fortunate ones. Always has players and i've never come across cheaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

That is it for me and this game.

I have never had to put this much work into just launching a game before :mad:

Forgetting about all the bugs and problems i found in game the last time i played (and that was a LONG time ago) so they all might be fixed by now.

But to have this much trouble just trying to get it to launch is pain stacking.

I launched for the first time tonight in a good while and forgot that the last time i did the game turned my res to something crazy that i couldn't fix, so i said f**k it i will fix it this time, boy what that a mistake.

After 3 YouTube video's on the problem and countless forum post's i have the res perfect (and FPS at a all time high i might add) it then turns out all my controls are reset.

For all my left handed gamer friends out there you know how annoying that can be, specially for a game like Dayz where there is 100+ controls you can set. But i was really in the mood to play so i said f**k it once more and set them all over again.

Right done and dusted, unpaused from config and BOOM battle eye has now kicked me. Ok i will log in again, WHAT!!!!! controls reset again.

Still really in the mood to play i set them all over again, unpause again (with a cringe in my face) But this time it works start to move all is good till i come to a fence and i press "step over" and WHAT!!!!! some how the controls got reset AGAIN!!!!!

F**K THIS BROKEN NEVER TO BE FIXED FOREVER GOING TO BREAK MY HEART GAME!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That is it for me and this game.

I have never had to put this much work into just launching a game before :mad:

Forgetting about all the bugs and problems i found in game the last time i played (and that was a LONG time ago) so they all might be fixed by now.

But to have this much trouble just trying to get it to launch is pain stacking.

I launched for the first time tonight in a good while and forgot that the last time i did the game turned my res to something crazy that i couldn't fix, so i said f**k it i will fix it this time, boy what that a mistake.

After 3 YouTube video's on the problem and countless forum post's i have the res perfect (and FPS at a all time high i might add) it then turns out all my controls are reset.

For all my left handed gamer friends out there you know how annoying that can be, specially for a game like Dayz where there is 100+ controls you can set. But i was really in the mood to play so i said f**k it once more and set them all over again.

Right done and dusted, unpaused from config and BOOM battle eye has now kicked me. Ok i will log in again, WHAT!!!!! controls reset again.

Still really in the mood to play i set them all over again, unpause again (with a cringe in my face) But this time it works start to move all is good till i come to a fence and i press "step over" and WHAT!!!!! some how the controls got reset AGAIN!!!!!

F**K THIS BROKEN NEVER TO BE FIXED FOREVER GOING TO BREAK MY HEART GAME!!!!!!

Make your DayZ config read only, will stop annoying **** like that resetting itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Make your DayZ config read only, will stop annoying **** like that resetting itself.

see this is the type of thing i am talking about, i was in messing with the config file all night improving the FPS and trying to sort out the f**ked up resolution glitch that i was having. It is just not worth it, i have never had a game need so much tinkering with to just play it.

I just cant get over how much they have f**ked this game up since the mod. sure there was glitches in that to but not even half as much as the standalone has. Miss the days of the mod, that was fun but this... i don't think there was a hole night that went by playing this that wasn't tweaking with something or altering the config file to boot FPS because of piss poor coding.

To say this game is a sinking ship would give it hope, this ship has sank. They need to face facts they used a VERY old engine for a idea that needs/warrants more.

Last night was the last time i will play this game and if there was a way to remove it from my steam list i would.

Gave this another crack last night. It does seem to be a lot less buggy than it was last time I played.

Unfortunately I had just found a hoodie and a crowbar when I ran out a door and directly into two armed gentlemen who told me not to move, so I didn't, and then they promptly shot me anyway. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I also logged in for the first time in ages last night, and it definitely feels a lot better. Only was on for about 30 minutes and didn't see anyone or any zombies, but found some gear (bags, food and a rifle with no ammo). Looking forward to giving it a good go over the weekend.

Not sure if i want to be friendly or a total dick to anyone i meet. I guess i'll see how it goes :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

For me the game has not moved on or changed at all since October when I stopped playing. It has arguably gone backwards. A streamer friend of mine that plays & streams the game near every day had been at me to get back playing with him so I said feck it i'll hop on & see how it is. This is how it went:

Log into the game, still spawn on the fecking east coast. Looted a couple towns & while looting, the ****e zombies try to attack me. The Melee in this game is beyond appalling, it is so overly clunky & inaccurate I just don't know how they can fix it. It needs to be redone completely. Couple that with the zombies that glitch & move so brokenly it gets even worse. Anyway manage to make my way to my mate in Cherno & then start to move north. The game actually crashed twice with a new memory leak that came in with the most recent patch while on the way to meet him.

While running north, looting & eating along the way, I notice that the food system is once again a disaster. My character was "Energized, thirsty & full". No matter what we tried my character was always wanting to get sick from over eating or drinking one sup of water. Back in October it was simple enough to manage both thirst & hunger to get both hydrated & energized. Something seems to be wrong with it now.

We make it to Vybor Military base & while looting the jail building we hear footsteps near us. Then I see a fecking gun poking out through the walls of the place(Arseholes can now once again hide inside the walls of this building). This was one of two people we saw doing this yesterday in the two jails we went into. Anyway, we kill him & a few more game crashes for both of us then we head to the northwest airfield western approach.

While here we must of had to change servers at least 4 times because each server was crashing after a few minutes. Eventually make it to the tents area where again we have a couple more server crashes & the last time it crashed while I was in one of the tents. While logging in to the next server, I am getting shot by another dude in the same tent.(Who had probably just logged in moments before me from his own server crash issues). My mate kills him & I re spawn(I don't give a ****e about dying in this game anymore, i've played it & died that much) and try to make my way back to him. I was meeting him in Stary so I ran directly there. Once I get there I am dying of starvation so I try to find any sort of food & get food off him.

While he was running to meet me with a trail of zombies following him, his game crashes & his character sits down, then gets up & runs. Now I thought his character was fine because the zombies chasing him came after me. But nope, he logs in to a fresh spawn. Bit of a disaster, his body nowhere to be seen. And then the server crashed once again. So I called it there. Fair play to him though, he carried on with his stream for another few hours playing the game.

Sorry for the long rant, I have played All variations of this game since the very early days of the mod & it sucks to see what is happening with the development of this game. Since October there has been near nothing changed in the core of the game as far as I can see. I used to think they were limited by the engine they are using, but that just isn't true if you look at various Arma 3 mods like Epoch & Overpoch. Both of these mods run absolutely beautifully on the RV engine on the same maps with a hell of a lot more content & core features.

So I really don't know what the issue is with the DayZ team & why it takes them months to sort out engine issues. I love DayZ, when it is working(both the mod & SA) it has provided me with some of the most intense firefights & adrenaline filled moments in gaming. I will head back to it in another few months & hope to feck they have changed something huge in the engine to make the game playable again.

/Rant

The previous patch (0.53) was alot more stable than this one. Alot of the issues such as Memory leaks, FPS drops, crashes, food/drink issues weren't there. They've updated the experimental to test the new hotfix so hopefully if all goes well it will be released soon and correct these.

I'd honestly say, if you're frustrated playing the game at the moment, I'd wait until the new renderer is in place which is supposed to be completed by end of March/early April, then iteratively as they then implement new ongoing patches and build upon from then on I think the game will finally start taking shape properly in terms of bug fixing, performance, gameplay and better visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I remember my first game, I got to the ship, got some decent loot, fell through an invisible floor and broke my leg.

Frustrating, so said I'd crawl to the sea to drown and restart.... Nope, character died and whenever I started a new game, he was by the ship, in the sea with a broken leg...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have to say, I have never had a single crash happen to me in this game. Not once.

It has its issues no doubt, but crashing is not one of them that I've encountered.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Have to say, I have never had a single crash happen to me in this game. Not once.

It has its issues no doubt, but crashing is not one of them that I've encountered.

Same. Runs pretty damn smoothly on the laptop. Alt tabbing even works perfectly, which is usually the point of failure of a shoddy game.

the 0.54 patch is a lot more unstable than the 0.53. I have to say 53 was super stable and very impressive.

• Advertisement

Do they not test these patches? I know, it's Alpha and we are testing it so to speak...but still. Seems like they always release terribly buggy patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

ktulu123 wrote: »
    For me the game has not moved on or changed at all since October when I stopped playing. It has arguably gone backwards. A streamer friend of mine that plays & streams the game near every day had been at me to get back playing with him so I said feck it i'll hop on & see how it is. This is how it went:

Log into the game, still spawn on the fecking east coast. Looted a couple towns & while looting, the ****e zombies try to attack me. The Melee in this game is beyond appalling, it is so overly clunky & inaccurate I just don't know how they can fix it. It needs to be redone completely. Couple that with the zombies that glitch & move so brokenly it gets even worse. Anyway manage to make my way to my mate in Cherno & then start to move north. The game actually crashed twice with a new memory leak that came in with the most recent patch while on the way to meet him.

While running north, looting & eating along the way, I notice that the food system is once again a disaster. My character was "Energized, thirsty & full". No matter what we tried my character was always wanting to get sick from over eating or drinking one sup of water. Back in October it was simple enough to manage both thirst & hunger to get both hydrated & energized. Something seems to be wrong with it now.

We make it to Vybor Military base & while looting the jail building we hear footsteps near us. Then I see a fecking gun poking out through the walls of the place(Arseholes can now once again hide inside the walls of this building). This was one of two people we saw doing this yesterday in the two jails we went into. Anyway, we kill him & a few more game crashes for both of us then we head to the northwest airfield western approach.

While here we must of had to change servers at least 4 times because each server was crashing after a few minutes. Eventually make it to the tents area where again we have a couple more server crashes & the last time it crashed while I was in one of the tents. While logging in to the next server, I am getting shot by another dude in the same tent.(Who had probably just logged in moments before me from his own server crash issues). My mate kills him & I re spawn(I don't give a ****e about dying in this game anymore, i've played it & died that much) and try to make my way back to him. I was meeting him in Stary so I ran directly there. Once I get there I am dying of starvation so I try to find any sort of food & get food off him.

While he was running to meet me with a trail of zombies following him, his game crashes & his character sits down, then gets up & runs. Now I thought his character was fine because the zombies chasing him came after me. But nope, he logs in to a fresh spawn. Bit of a disaster, his body nowhere to be seen. And then the server crashed once again. So I called it there. Fair play to him though, he carried on with his stream for another few hours playing the game.

Sorry for the long rant, I have played All variations of this game since the very early days of the mod & it sucks to see what is happening with the development of this game. Since October there has been near nothing changed in the core of the game as far as I can see. I used to think they were limited by the engine they are using, but that just isn't true if you look at various Arma 3 mods like Epoch & Overpoch. Both of these mods run absolutely beautifully on the RV engine on the same maps with a hell of a lot more content & core features.

So I really don't know what the issue is with the DayZ team & why it takes them months to sort out engine issues. I love DayZ, when it is working(both the mod & SA) it has provided me with some of the most intense firefights & adrenaline filled moments in gaming. I will head back to it in another few months & hope to feck they have changed something huge in the engine to make the game playable again.

/Rant

yeah I know the cheek of them you need a tin opener for your beans :mad:

Tony EH wrote: »

Same. Runs pretty damn smoothly on the laptop. Alt tabbing even works perfectly, which is usually the point of failure of a shoddy game.

Either had I until yesterday, as has been said on thread already. The latest patch seems to of made it even more unstable :(
    yeah I know the cheek of them you need a tin opener for your beans :mad:

Have absolutely zero problems with game mechanics like this, my issue is with the development of the core game functions.

ktulu123 wrote: »

I actually read more into this, calories and food volume are now a factor: http://i.imgur.com/yTs99eK.jpg

You've probably been eating volume dense foods and it's made you stuffed quite quickly. As an alternative example, imagine like in real life, you eat alot of celery. You'll fill up your stomach pretty quickly, but celery isn't calorie dense, so in DayZ it's possible to now be stuffed, but still "hungry". I'd say hungry is now not the best word to describe it, probably "malnourished" is more apt now.

Granted, it's probably broke to some degree at the moment, but it might explain the above a bit better. I noticed I was getting stuffed way to quickly as well and it might have been impacting healing. I think canned peaches are the best bang for your buck in terms of calories, stomach volume and hydration.

Do they really need calorie counts for food? Seems like it's making it way too complicated. I'm all for realism, but not to that extent.

I can barely eat well in real life...i don't want to have to watch my calories in a game as well :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Do they really need calorie counts for food? Seems like it's making it way too complicated. I'm all for realism, but not to that extent.

I can barely eat well in real life...i don't want to have to watch my calories in a game as well :pac:

Ah no it wouldn't be that bad, no calorie counting just some foods give decrease hunger better than others.

You probably wouldn't like The Long Dark then, you have to keep track of calories and foods contain calories counters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id say mechanics like the above are because you have half the community claiming its all KOS and not enough of a survival element to the game. Personally id rather have to worry about someone shooting me on sight than which food has more calories,volume,hydartion etc etc.

I wanna play a game not hunger simulator,but alas the whingers are usually the loudest part of any community so they will probably get there way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont think any BI engine is capable of the MP style these mods are going for, I said this in Op Flash and every iteration after it. It is not an MP PVP engine, I dont care for PVP in BI games but i think they should have used some of the money Dayz created to make a stable engine for MP PVP play.

They are a decent company but I think they are over stretching themselves with this mod and others that rely on a PVP scenario.

Arma 3 runs near perfectly well with pvp. I say near because there are desync issues sometimes but yeah I kind of agree with you there KD.

• Advertisement

Played through the whole of last night. Have to say they have taken step backwards with the 0.54 patch! a lot of bugs there at the moment. So the praise I was giving Dayz before relates to the 0.53 patch. so hopefully 0.55 will bring it back to normal!

Advertisement