Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gas.

Makes the game look like so much more than a bunch a people KoS'ing.

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Tony EH wrote: »
    Gas.

Makes the game look like so much more than a bunch a people KoS'ing.

:pac:

Quick question, how do you think people should play the game?

Um...they way they want.

That still doesn't eliminate the huge PITA that KoS or, worse, sniping represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Quick question, how do you think people should play the game?
    There should be a downside for killing.

There is currently no upside to NOT gunning down everyone you meet.

Option A) You killed them, you get their gear.
    Option B) You don't kill them, they might kill you.

And have zombies chase you for a bit isn't going to change much...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What is there to do in the game other than shoot people?

Or rather, what is there to do that I wouldn't just be doing in real life anyway.

• Advertisement

I was playing today on a full server and ran into a new spawn. She was Irish too, strangely enough. We just said hi and chatted a bit. I warned her about some shooters I just ran into and I asked if she needed anything, but she was fine.

Anyway, she took a step toward me during our chat and was able to tell my name. I didn't know this was possible in the game.

Anyone know how to do that?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I was playing today on a full server and ran into a new spawn. She was Irish too, strangely enough. We just said hi and chatted a bit. I warned her about some shooters I just ran into and I asked if she needed anything, but she was fine.

Anyway, she took a step toward me during our chat and was able to tell my name. I didn't know this was possible in the game.

Anyone know how to do that?

:confused:

If you move close to another player it'll give you the option to *check their pulse*

That will then show you the persons in game name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Cheers blobs.

How does that option appear? I've never seen it.

BTW, she must have done it fast, because I didn't see anything pop up. Or would it just pop up for her screen?

Cheers blobs.

How does that option appear? I've never seen it.

BTW, she must have done it fast, because I didn't see anything pop up. Or would it just pop up for her screen?

Just go to anybody (dead or alive) and when standing in front of them you should see a little icon pop up. Move down on the scroll wheel and it should say "Check Pulse" if the options there press *F*

Thats it.

• Advertisement

Ah right.

Cheers.

A screenshot a buddy took(and edited) of me and a friend at NWAF
    ZLeY59Y.jpg

So last night, I ventured into Cherno to look for a battery for my red dot optics on my slienced MP5 (which is sweet). I must have been on a populated server, TBH I never look, I just randomly select a server and play (makes it more interesting that way). Anyhow, it must have been a "Call of Cherno" server cos there were lots of shots being rung out all over the city. So, I see this fresh spawn lad running from a few zombies and I whack them for him. He's an English lad and bleeding, so he uses his tee shirt a bandages and thanks me. Then goes into a spiel about a group of bandits (5 or so) that took him and his mate hostage in Cherno. He got killed presumably, I didn't ask how. Anyway, I said we'll see if we can get close to the area where his mate was and see if there was something that we could do.

We got fairly close to the building where he said that his mate was, but getting to his buddy was going to be nearly impossible. There was definitely a couple of fellas in the building and I spotted a sniper on the top. That's really all there was time to do, as the English lad ended up getting shot and I managed to get away behind a wall.

It was really intense stuff, but all the while I had this niggling suspicion that this guy was a plant for an elaborate ambush, so I was keeping an eye on him as well as the city.

I was afraid he was going to nick some of my gear or something. Is that possible for a new spawn (or anyone) to do? Can somebody get close to you, click on you, and rifle through your stuff?

So last night, I ventured into Cherno to look for a battery for my red dot optics on my slienced MP5 (which is sweet). I must have been on a populated server, TBH I never look, I just randomly select a server and play (makes it more interesting that way). Anyhow, it must have been a "Call of Cherno" server cos there were lots of shots being rung out all over the city. So, I see this fresh spawn lad running from a few zombies and I whack them for him. He's an English lad and bleeding, so he uses his tee shirt a bandages and thanks me. Then goes into a spiel about a group of bandits (5 or so) that took him and his mate hostage in Cherno. He got killed presumably, I didn't ask how. Anyway, I said we'll see if we can get close to the area where his mate was and see if there was something that we could do.

We got fairly close to the building where he said that his mate was, but getting to his buddy was going to be nearly impossible. There was definitely a couple of fellas in the building and I spotted a sniper on the top. That's really all there was time to do, as the English lad ended up getting shot and I managed to get away behind a wall.

It was really intense stuff, but all the while I had this niggling suspicion that this guy was a plant for an elaborate ambush, so I was keeping an eye on him as well as the city.

I was afraid he was going to nick some of my gear or something. Is that possible for a new spawn (or anyone) to do? Can somebody get close to you, click on you, and rifle through your stuff?

If there tied up or handcuffed i'm pretty sure you can go into someone else's inventory.

Otherwise they need to be dead or unconscious.

Not unless he's a hacker or manages to knock you out.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Met a lad at the airfield. Waved at him. Threw down some food for him. next thing i was being chased across the runway by him as he was blinking in and out. Just glitching about ten feet forward with no animation. Shot him with half a clip of the ak101. Couldn't kill him. Logged out quickly then with a broken arm from his axe.
    Is this lag or cheating?

cursai wrote: »
    Met a lad at the airfield. Waved at him. Threw down some food for him. next thing i was being chased across the runway by him as he was blinking in and out. Just glitching about ten feet forward with no animation. Shot him with half a clip of the ak101. Couldn't kill him. Logged out quickly then with a broken arm from his axe.
    Is this lag or cheating?

Cheating.
    Probably some 12 year old kid.
    I've pretty much stopped going to the main airfield (Vibor) since it just seems to be pack with them.

Also avoid jailhouses.
    You can glitch into the walls and shoot people through them. I've gotten killed by those ****s before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

There should be wave ban very soon when 0.55 gets released to stable so the guy that you saw hacking will likely be banned once that get's put live.

Got shot again. Had a massive amount of stuff. I usually play with no mic. Can i still hear people speak without one? Trying to understand why people keep killing me straight off.

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Got shot again. Had a massive amount of stuff. I usually play with no mic. Can i still hear people speak without one? Trying to understand why people keep killing me straight off.

If someone talks it'll come through the game audio so you should hear them.

To be honest most people will shoot a fully geared player regardless if they have a mic.
    Honestly if you're playing by yourself then your best bet is to just shoot everyone on sight.

But i'd suggest getting a mic. If i'm semi geared (decent gun,ammo etc..) then i won't think twice about shooting people without a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I find people will shoot you without saying anything 90% of the time irregardless if you are a newspawn or a geared player with or without a mic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, if i see someone, i automatically assume they will try to kill me, because that's what happens pretty much ever time. I miss the days of cautious co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Was literally on a DayZ marathon over the weekend there, I'd say over 30+ hours between 3 of us. Can't remember too much but there was some memorable bits.

One being: after a few not so great lives, it was my friends turn to play. He logged on to a private server where I was situated in Kamishovo, but had a broken leg, so I was just like a ferk it just kill yourself.... He's like yeah sure, let me have a quick glance around for an axe tho.

Kamishovo was fairly quiet and he was about to head back to the kiosk to drop and die, he kept saying he could hear people but the rest of couldn't hear anything at all. Out of nowhere a squad of 3 appears(which actually turned out to be 6)! helped him fix his legs but the server timed out so had to do it again, then there was some technical problems on our end but we got sorted under 5 mins, log back in and.... they're still there waiting for us!
    They explained that they were creating a friendly project in kamishovo(they were roleplaying), hung around with them for ages and and bit by bit more people joined, there was at least 14+ people!! it was all very cool and so unusual for DayZ. Everyone was very nice there was no trouble at all for a good while. Eventually we started hearing that bandits were trying to approach us, they were down at the dock, so as a whole group we decide to walk down in peace! 14+ of us all walking together was very impressive!

silence continued and with that silence came death! as we were walking down, a body drops to the floor in silence, 2 bodies, 3 and followed by our black screen too! dropping like flies. We frantically tried to spawn back near kamishovo, eventually we got back with about 6 bodies survived they were under attack from snipers on the islands, there must have been at least 6 of them to take us so easy like that. They ended up taking control of Kami as the survivors died fighting or had to flee, the battle did last some time however, but we really had no chance shooting from the land. My friend tried to swim around and got very close to one of the attackers but there was only so much he could do which ultimately ended in death.

Then yesterday it was about 4am I was on, not much was happening I was in berezino and was running around with a blaze. Literally nobody was about even the the server was almost full. I came across a friendly player,possibly a newcomer to the game, and under 10 seconds of speaking I shot 2 times. More or less killed the person on sight, it was a bad decision that riddled me with so much guilt, the action in fact was really worse than just KOS'ing someone. Anyway with my newly acquired moisin I decided to hit the tracks and head south.
    Walking down the tracks just near the end of berezino suddenly my characters gear disappears, everything but the mosin that I just stole. I'm like wtf? and then a huge carper bomb explosion happens and I'm dead!

KARMA!! some very well deserved Karma. However the story does not end here, I spawn miles down south near cherno BOOM BOOM BOOM same thing dead again, spawn again in Svetlo and the same thing persists. Now I have seen some hackers in the game loads, but this one was on another level of destruction! For a brief moment we thought it was aimed mainly at us, but we came to realise this guy intended to literally wipe the map of everyone!

I have some photos but they're on the bootcamp side of the comp so I will throw them up later! Really can't wait for this 0.55 update, and hoping it will be more like .53 and less like .54 which messed the game up a bit.
    Got 2 weeks of college so gonna get plenty of gaming in, just need to make sure I get all my work out of the way first.

Riamfada wrote: »
    I find people will shoot you without saying anything 90% of the time irregardless if you are a newspawn or a geared player with or without a mic.

I'd actually say it's higher.

I hardly bother with the mic any more, there's not much point. But, I have have a few encounters that resulted in some yap. One was on a French server where a heavily geared guy was trying to communicate with my heavily geared guy, and I was trying to say in terrible French that I didn't speak and could he speak English is possible? We pidgeoned with each others language for a while and went our separate ways. "Au revoir" from me and "Goodbye" from him, which was kind of cool. But most interaction is with new spawns who don't have any means to kill me yet.

The vast majority of the time it's just "bang", whether my toon is tooled or not. I hadn't even a shirt on my back many times and just stood still, while waiting for some of the shitbags to get their guns out and shoot. I even shouted "fire you asshole" at one fella. That must have been weird for him. Somebody shouting that at him in an Irish accent while he fumbled for his M4. :pac:

When the hordes get put into the game that KoS nonsense will be cut down I'd say. There'll be generally no point to it, if your shot will attract 50 zombies to your presence, which will be a good thing. TBH, I'd put in waaaaay more zombies right now, glitched or not.

I think bandit RP'ers are good though, and add a certain tension to the game. But the KoS kids are tiresome a lot of the time.

At the moment though, there's not an awful lot to actually do in 'Dayz', it has to be said, so KoS is encouraged by that.

We're still at baby steps in this game, but its potential is great.

2015-03-30 21_42_53-Steam.pngWhat servers do people play on. id like to play with other people. Thats my steam account. Don't know which one appears on Steam normally.
    Add me. Sure for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

I'll add you, usually play fp servers

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Was literally on a DayZ marathon over the weekend there, I'd say over 30+ hours between 3 of us. Can't remember too much but there was some memorable bits.

One being: after a few not so great lives, it was my friends turn to play. He logged on to a private server where I was situated in Kamishovo, but had a broken leg, so I was just like a ferk it just kill yourself.... He's like yeah sure, let me have a quick glance around for an axe tho.

Kamishovo was fairly quiet and he was about to head back to the kiosk to drop and die, he kept saying he could hear people but the rest of couldn't hear anything at all. Out of nowhere a squad of 3 appears(which actually turned out to be 6)! helped him fix his legs but the server timed out so had to do it again, then there was some technical problems on our end but we got sorted under 5 mins, log back in and.... they're still there waiting for us!
    They explained that they were creating a friendly project in kamishovo(they were roleplaying), hung around with them for ages and and bit by bit more people joined, there was at least 14+ people!! it was all very cool and so unusual for DayZ. Everyone was very nice there was no trouble at all for a good while. Eventually we started hearing that bandits were trying to approach us, they were down at the dock, so as a whole group we decide to walk down in peace! 14+ of us all walking together was very impressive!

silence continued and with that silence came death! as we were walking down, a body drops to the floor in silence, 2 bodies, 3 and followed by our black screen too! dropping like flies. We frantically tried to spawn back near kamishovo, eventually we got back with about 6 bodies survived they were under attack from snipers on the islands, there must have been at least 6 of them to take us so easy like that. They ended up taking control of Kami as the survivors died fighting or had to flee, the battle did last some time however, but we really had no chance shooting from the land. My friend tried to swim around and got very close to one of the attackers but there was only so much he could do which ultimately ended in death.

Then yesterday it was about 4am I was on, not much was happening I was in berezino and was running around with a blaze. Literally nobody was about even the the server was almost full. I came across a friendly player,possibly a newcomer to the game, and under 10 seconds of speaking I shot 2 times. More or less killed the person on sight, it was a bad decision that riddled me with so much guilt, the action in fact was really worse than just KOS'ing someone. Anyway with my newly acquired moisin I decided to hit the tracks and head south.
    Walking down the tracks just near the end of berezino suddenly my characters gear disappears, everything but the mosin that I just stole. I'm like wtf? and then a huge carper bomb explosion happens and I'm dead!

KARMA!! some very well deserved Karma. However the story does not end here, I spawn miles down south near cherno BOOM BOOM BOOM same thing dead again, spawn again in Svetlo and the same thing persists. Now I have seen some hackers in the game loads, but this one was on another level of destruction! For a brief moment we thought it was aimed mainly at us, but we came to realise this guy intended to literally wipe the map of everyone!

I have some photos but they're on the bootcamp side of the comp so I will throw them up later! Really can't wait for this 0.55 update, and hoping it will be more like .53 and less like .54 which messed the game up a bit.
    Got 2 weeks of college so gonna get plenty of gaming in, just need to make sure I get all my work out of the way first.

Do you remember what server that was vlad?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

The first part I don't remember but it was private, but the second part was on Apocalypse now, GER/EU server.

Why? do you believe you may have been a part of either story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Logged on to Fortunate Ones last night. Found a machete, decided to be a Cork Scumbag so wandered about shouting for directions to Abrakebabra. Some middle eastern guy started punching me, despite my best protests. "Ahh lad, stop bai, Jaysus bai, you're some feen bai"

Went unconscious.

Woke up, killed him, told his corpse I'd save it some taco fries. Ran to a village, chased by two guys with pistols. Compared myself to Micheal Collins and said they'd never take my taco fries as I ran off a roof.

I missed DayZ

Advertisement