Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Looks intense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Hadn't given this a proper go in a good few months but when I went back to it last week I had a bit of a laugh the AKs are new to me as well as a few other things that were nice to find

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

They've been doing a few updates in Experimental recently. Reportedly Central Loot Economy and Persistence should be fully working now.

Next patch (0.59) is going to release 3 new vehicles and advanced vehicle repairs and modifications. Also potentially the first iteration of the new renderer. The vehicles are the Bus, Sedan and Offroad Car.

Few things to note:
    - "ghost" sounds are now fixed in experimental. So if the random sounds of people eating and splitting ammo annoyed you it might be worth checking back.
    - New third person camera in experimental. It's almost "over the shoulder" style of camera that allows you to switch between left and right on the fly. It doesn't stop being able to view the side of a wall/building without being seen but you can't look over a wall.
    - Server side performance for players such as Eating/Drinking, Hotkeys, Weapon swapping, Vaulting etc is alot more improved.
    - FOV slider now doesn't work when aiming weapons. This was to stop people abusing it when long range shooting.
    - A whole new bunch of buildings are now enterable.
    - Whole bunch of new weapons and attachments such as a UMP, SVD Sniper Rifle, Kashtan scope for Soviet Rifles etc. A few more nearly on the way such as a Mauser Pistol & VSS Vintorez.

Plus a variety of other bits and pieces. It's worth checking back at the moment if you took a break but if you still found the endgame of it boring then I wouldn't bother until they introduce dynamic events and basebuilding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I've actually never used an SVD in standalone, I might hop on to experimental in a bit and keep an eye out for the new stuff. Sounds like a good bit of progress is being made by them anyway which is good to hear. The "end game" I look forward too is just getting geared up and then finding action so as long as that's there I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

was with a guy last night who had an svd. got killed by hackers at the end. Hackers a are a bit of a problem on stable since the end of the current build.

• Advertisement

vlad2009 wrote: »
    was with a guy last night who had an svd. got killed by hackers at the end. Hackers a are a bit of a problem on stable since the end of the current build.

I think they do a massive wave ban every time they push a new patch to Stable, which 0.58 should be pushing to Stable within A week id say. I do hope that down the line some system is in place where hackers/cheaters are consistently banned on the go rather than in waves.

I think I've been lucky, since I got the Standalone on release I've only encountered 2 hackers, and both times were within the first 6 months of release. I generally only tend to player on Private or Whitelisted servers in Stable anyway so that might be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Looking forward to the new "enterable" buildings, but there really is bugger all to do in DayZ at the moment except get a gun and head over to Cherno or Electro and see how long you can last.

I get what you mean, personally I don't mind the looting and gearing up. Hopefully the dynamic events are interesting enough though.

However since CLE & Persistence has been introduced properly instead of the legacy system, the gun fights aren't restricted to Cherno or Elektro anymore. You're pretty much moving around the map in search of gear and so is everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Play DayZ pretty regularly myself. The best way to avoid hackers is to move to private servers.

I play on the Gents Of Novo server and there admins are fantastci. They even have a no killing in Novo rule which is 100% inforced and will result in a server ban if broken.

They really need to get persistant look back. Currently its way to easy to gear up. Just wait for a server restart and run to one of the new guard houses and you'll be fully kitted.

Hopefully it gets sorted for 0.59 cause i really want to be able to make a camp sight again.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Hopefully it gets sorted for 0.59 cause i really want to be able to make a camp sight again.

It's pretty much sorted in 0.58 experimental as far as reports are going. Persistence is in and the update yesterday tweaked the CLE so that coastal and high traffic areas aren't completely barren of loot anymore.

So should be good for 0.58 stable release which isn't too far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

A quick post about what was talked about at TwitchCon 2015

View the DayZ presentation http://www.twitch.tv/twitchconlive/v/17868538?t=231m56s

A quick run down of what was discussed:
    • Helicopters Little Bird will be the first aerial vehicle to be introduced, controls will be more in-depth than Arma 2 but not as difficult as Take On Helicopters.

jUw34Vpl.jpgNJEdRxfl.jpg

• Player Lifetime Progression This will include beards,scars and dirt/dust on face.

cKEdNwal.jpgdrZNoDBl.jpg

• Soft Skills The first of the soft skills are being put together.

• Contaminated Areas Tisy Military Base will be added in the North West corner of the map and will be the trial run for contaminated areas, which may later be added to large towns and cities. A gas mask or hazmat suit will be needed to enter these high risk areas, although you can take the chance of going in without and run the risk of picking up a possibly fatal/incurable illness.

xD1tVSTl.jpg?1

The last thing this game needs is helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Downloaded this after not playing it in nearly a year.

It seems they've really only pushed very small updates (items mainly) or did i miss something?

And did they not have bear growth etc when dean was still there?

Just seems to be getting nowhere fast

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tony EH wrote: »
    The last thing this game needs is helicopters.

Don't worry, we won't see them in game for at least a year or two.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Downloaded this after not playing it in nearly a year.

It seems they've really only pushed very small updates (items mainly) or did i miss something?

And did they not have bear growth etc when dean was still there?

Just seems to be getting nowhere fast

Yes they have introduced a lot of new items, including vehicles. The major changes have been the introduction of persistence and the central loot economy. The coming months will see the biggest changes in DayZ with the new renderer/engine being implemented. If you want to view changes to dayz take a look here http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Changelog

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Got my first gaming pc, is this worth getting? I'm so getting it regardless :p

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Got my first gaming pc, is this worth getting? I'm so getting it regardless :p

Well not worth it man, i played the crap out of the mod but the standalone is so broken and has no sign of ever being fixed. you would be better off getting H1Z1, the survival is what this game should have been and with the Battle Royal game for times you just have 20-30 min to play you can either be a casual or hardcore player.

Well not worth it man, i played the crap out of the mod but the standalone is so broken and has no sign of ever being fixed. you would be better off getting H1Z1, the survival is what this game should have been and with the Battle Royal game for times you just have 20-30 min to play you can either be a casual or hardcore player.

It's definitely worth getting,yes there are bugs but it's nowhere near as bad as it once was.The newest experimental build is fantastic and has introduced 2 new vehicles(lada and sedan) and will soon be adding the bus to the mix. It's started to feel a little like the mod again, having to go out and find the necessary parts and tools to get a car up and running. The last two status reports give an insight into what's to come in the not too distant future

https://devhub.dayz.com/blog/status-report-12-nov-2015

https://devhub.dayz.com/blog/status-report-26-nov-15

Also DayZ is currently on sale on the bohemia store https://store.bistudio.com/products/dayz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Personally,id hold off on DayZ for now and buy Arma 3,its currently on sale for €30 on steam for the extended edition.

I say this not to dis DayZ but because there is so much more value in Arma at the minute. I only started playing Arma because of the DayZ mod,and i still do that today regularly while im waiting on full release for DayZ standalone to get back into it.

There is so much variety in the Arma 3 scene at the moment,many mods that are very similar to DayZ(Exile being the most popular at the moment) and a wide variety of other mods that imitate thing like GTA,Battlefield,sandbox pvp and also have role play servers for all kinds of experiences.

So you can play a DayZ style mod without having to endure the development issues of the standalone.

Or you could just buy Arma 2:Combined Operations(also on sale for €5 atm) and play the original DayZ mod or one of its iterations

Is the game worth getting: Yes

Is the game worth getting right now: Depends

The game itself is fantastic when it works and even more so with mates. It's probably one of the only games I've played that gives you such adrenaline rushes that actually puts you under pressure given certain situations.

The game itself is making huge strides in terms of development, regardless of what some consensus that others say, the most recent game updates are a testament of that. However that being said, since the game is undergoing a massive engine re-haul to replace all the legacy code and components, the game can be quite buggy at the moment and suffers poorly from client (hardware) performance, especially in heavy object rendered areas like cities.

If you don't like having to sit through and experience bugs and potentially suffering poor performance, I would hold onto your money for the moment, unless you want to buy the game at a cheaper price now rather than more expensive later. But the game will be making very major changes within the next couple of months in terms of the new engine components, and performance will start to become a lot better with then the focus of the development switching to bug fixing, optimisation and finalizing content creation once it hits Beta early next year. You could try revisit the idea of purchasing the game then.

• Advertisement

Cravez wrote: »
    The game itself is fantastic when it works and even more so with mates. It's probably one of the only games I've played that gives you such adrenaline rushes that actually puts you under pressure given certain situations.

Yeh...this.

I haven't been in for about a month, but I can certainly say that 'DayZ' for all it's faults, some of which I've gone on about here, is one of the few games that can give you the shakes.

So unpredictable it is, that every session can result in a gripping episode.

Those episodes, however, are seriously tempered with LONG stretches of flat experience. But, that's what makes 'DayZ' the game it is.

You WILL spend a long time wandering around wondering what the hell you wasting your time with and then without warning, you'll be involved in a fire fight with some douchebags, or possibly helping someone in need, or being helped.

Over the years, unfortunately, the game has descended into kill or be killed and other interactions have become less and less. But as the game progresses in development, I think the KOS people will become less and less.

One thing is for sure, no game I have played has given me the same level of tension. When wandering down a road and suddenly I see another guy in the distance, my brain goes into overdrive. Do I make contact? Do I hide and observe? Do I kill him and take that AK47 he's carrying?

One of the best sessions I ever had was when I crippled a sniper who was picking off people running along the coast. I watched him for ages just lying there shooting at people. I crept up on him and blasted his legs and robbed him blind. I left splints in the middle of the road for him and ran off.

After that, I had to log off. I was shaking.

I decided to get it. About 2 hours in, I haven't seen a sinner nor Zombie and I starved to death. heh.

You'll need to be playing on 0.59 experimental to find any zombies. If you're having trouble finding food, you can pick apples and berries(don't eat the blue ones) to keep you going.

How do I get onto that.

Kinda getting the hang of it now, ive found loads of guns and ammo but no clips.

In steam, right click on the game and bring up "properties" window
    Go to "Betas" tab
    Use the drop down box to join experimental

Dayz should download an update and you will then be able to join the exp servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm holding out for the full release whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yea. They removed zombies.

Should be called Dayzies because that's all the fields are full of now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

MadYaker wrote: »

If ever?

MadYaker wrote: »

They plan on mid 2016 release. I'd personally see that getting pushed back to late 2016 to make sure the release is polished.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    Yea. They removed zombies.

Should be called Dayzies because that's all the fields are full of now...

They didn't remove Infected, Infected were reduced to a very, very low amount for a single update due to the poor server performance they were causing. They are currently there in large numbers on the current experimental servers with better server performance and will be back once that gets pushed to stable. I played on the experimental servers recently and had to hold up inside a shop in Cherno with about 30-50 of them outside the shop waiting for me to come out.

• Advertisement

Starting to get the hang of it and it is weirdly addictive. I've decided to be a good person and not kill others unless fired on. This pretty much means I get killed, a lot. Why is everyone so mean? :p

Advertisement