Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the full game is released mid 2016 I'll upload a video of myself eating a can of cold beans! Not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

MadYaker wrote: »
    If the full game is released mid 2016 I'll upload a video of myself eating a can of cold beans! Not gonna happen

Jeeze, don't go mad whatever you do! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I stopped playing a few months back. I found that the player quality has gone a bit downhill since it has become very popular. There is hardly any chat between players just KOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Tried to play it again last night......still can't get into it or see the appeal.
    An hour running around without seeing anyone...trying to scavenge things.

Easily the most boring game experience I've had in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Tried to play it again last night......still can't get into it or see the appeal.
    An hour running around without seeing anyone...trying to scavenge things.

Easily the most boring game experience I've had in 2015

That's the thing with dayz, you can run around for hours without seeing anyone, then when you least expect it a bullet flies past your head or you hear a voice. Then the adrenaline kicks in and you have to make a decision, fight or flight. I haven't played any other game thats given me anywhere near the same rush as dayz has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Squaredude wrote: »
    That's the thing with dayz, you can run around for hours without seeing anyone, then when you least expect it a bullet flies past your head or you hear a voice. Then the adrenaline kicks in and you have to make a decision, fight or flight. I haven't played any other game thats given me anywhere near the same rush as dayz has.

-Run around for hours and not see anyone ?.....that is just awful boring.
    -Fight or flight depends on your weapons.

I have gotten more of a rush from possibly every other game I've played. Isn't there meant to be Zombies too ?
    I really can't understand the appeal or what it has going for it...and how it's still in ALPHA. It looks and feels awful.

I'd have to put it up there with the worst games I've ever played now that I think about it. I haven't got 1 iota of enjoyment from it.
    Even the worst games I can think of had some redeeming features, but this has nothing going for it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

^Hater.

Dayz is one of the best games around, no game makes you feel like dayz does. Yes it can be buggy, but not as buggy as people always make it out to be. And obviously it's in alpha, I don't know how, or why people expect it to be spit shined flawless. It's an amazing game and I would highly recommend it. It is also a very hard game, and takes a good 20-30 hours the get into as you need to learn a lot first until you can love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

SeantheMan wrote: »
    -Run around for hours and not see anyone ?.....that is just awful boring.
    -Fight or flight depends on your weapons.

I have gotten more of a rush from possibly every other game I've played. Isn't there meant to be Zombies too ?
    I really can't understand the appeal or what it has going for it...and how it's still in ALPHA. It looks and feels awful.

I'd have to put it up there with the worst games I've ever played now that I think about it. I haven't got 1 iota of enjoyment from it.
    Even the worst games I can think of had some redeeming features, but this has nothing going for it in my opinion.

Join a full server, hang around electro or cherno for 5 minutes, guaranteed you won't be bored, just don't stand still for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm having right craic with it, meet a load of good people, spending hours chatting shyte and saving bambis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've but around 430+ hours into it and it's become very stale. There's very little feeling of progression after you get any sort of decent weapon.
    Once you manage to gear up with high level gear it all becomes pointless. Why would i head to the coast or city's and run the risk of being killed?

DayZ is at its best when you have nothing and are building your character up. Problem is there isn't much to do afterwards.

I've moved on to Rust now.
    There is at least a solid start,middle and end game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

What's rusk?
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I've but around 430+ hours into it and it's become very stale. There's very little feeling of progression after you get any sort of decent weapon.
    Once you manage to gear up with high level gear it all becomes pointless. Why would i head to the coast or city's and run the risk of being killed?

DayZ is at its best when you have nothing and are building your character up. Problem is there isn't much to do afterwards.

I've moved on to Rusk now.
    There is at least a solid start,middle and end game.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    What's rusk?

I think Mr Blobby meant Rust http://store.steampowered.com/app/252490/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous for this game to still be in Alpha? I bought it on release, which is a good while ago now, expecting it to be a full game within a year or so.

Never enjoyed the Standalone myself. It brought nothing new to the table when it came out. The standard mod was perfectly fine, and the extra stuff people added in was always a nice touch.
    I do remember when I played it around release, it was just a shot on sight job. Still the same? I know the mod was il for finding friendly players.

Most of the lads I played the mod with, never got into the Standalone either. Most moved to Arma 3. (I believe most played Altis Life?)

Mister Man wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's ridiculous for this game to still be in Alpha? I bought it on release, which is a good while ago now, expecting it to be a full game within a year or so.

Not really, the game became available on early access in December '13 only a few months into the development of the game. Most games take between 2-3 years in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Not really, the game became available on early access in December '13 only a few months into the development of the game. Most games take between 2-3 years in development.

Good chance I'm wrong here. (My memory has never been a strong point) but I recall it being delayed quite a few times. I could be mixing DayZ up with a different game though.

Yeah I think it was slated for a 2012 early access release but they scrapped that and started over, they realised that for what they wanted to do, the current arma engine just wasn't capable, so they've been working on a new/hybrid engine which will allow them to do much more with game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mister Man wrote: »

I don't mind that it's still in Alpha. What I do mind is how slow they've been with updates. It takes them ages to get anything done, and it's still not even as good as the original mod. They should have dumped that broken engine a long time ago, and moved to something else.

Also, every update breaks the game again, and you've to wait for them to fix it.

They have a very small collective working on it tho and thats the problem. The thing about the engine I do agree tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Ultimately, the development decisions killed the game. I loved the mod. Bought the standalone as soon as it came out, cannot get into it, ive come back to check it out a good few times, but its still not there. It's not even close to the mod yet. Which is a real shame. Some of the best nights gaming i've ever had were on the dayz mod with a load of folks on mumble/teamspeak.

Hopefully someday they'll get it sorted but i fear its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Have to second what Korvanica said. The mod is so much better. Overwatch/Overpoch are still such fun - those crazy nights on Gaellords were great. Haven't touched standalone in months. It'll need a lot of sorting out before I get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there any decent DayZ type mod for Arma3 yet?

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there any decent DayZ type mod for Arma3 yet?

Breaking Point, Epoch & "2017 mod" - http://dayzintel.com/arma-3-mods

Exile mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Exile mod

This.

Playing it right now and it is just amazing. Arma 3 engine is still a bit ass, but so much better then Arma2 DayZ standalone monster.

Majority of exile servers have no zombies, but I think people playng this not for zombies, but for fellow asshole players.

Arma 3 launcher is a fantastic little tool, which downloads all mods by itself when you join server, so no fiddling around with mods for 2 hours and then give up, because its still not working.

This will make things interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This will make things interesting

"Comments are disabled for this video."

lol, that shows confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Zillah wrote: »
    "Comments are disabled for this video."

lol, that shows confidence

Have you seen Youtube comments? It could be the best update ever released, and all the comments would be about how they ****ed your mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Playing Breaking Point Mod for ARMA 3 for about 2 weeks now really fun. Same with Dayz, loved the mod and the team play but couldn't stick the standalone very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

logged in there for a look, first time in about a year, fps is terrible, it's barely playable and i have a decent rig. what the hell happened this game? it it even still being developed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

froog wrote: »
    logged in there for a look, first time in about a year, fps is terrible, it's barely playable and i have a decent rig. what the hell happened this game? it it even still being developed?

i haven't logged in now in months but when me and a few friends did a couple of months ago it was awful, somehow my resolution changed to some crappy res and i couldn't change it back.

i was talking to a mate of mine there a few days ago about the old school mod, and what he said was true. he isn't technical in any way but wanted to play the mod, trying to get him up and running telling him how and what to do was painful or as he put it "i felt like i was hacking the white house with the amount of messing about in config files and loading parameters ect"

i used to make up excuses about how the game was a mod/alpha and "trust me guys when it is a full release it will be amazing" but there comes a time where you have to just let go of that sinking ship and float back to reality

This game is dead and there is no bringing it back now.

Advertisement