Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student applying for a Masters in UCC

Options
  • 17-12-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 27 years of age, I completed an undergraduate degree a few years ago in Computer Systems. I'm currently on the dole at the moment, I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of grants I'd be eligible for if I were to apply for a masters course in UCC next September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can apply for a fee grant to cover some of your tuition fees as long as your course meets certain conditions as to duration, provider and qualification upon completion.
    If your income for the last tax year was less than €31,500 you might get a grant of €2000 towards fees. The means threshold increases depending on the number of dependent children in the household.

If you meet the special rate of grant conditions, i.e. have a total gross income of less than €22703 (gross) for the last tax year and are in receipt of one of a range of Social welfare payments you may qualify for a fee grant of up to €6270.

All income into the home is counted. So if you are living with parents or with a partner then their income is taken into account.

More details are here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

There are no maintenance grants for masters students and there is no social welfare payment for anyone doing a qualification above level 8 on the NFQ. A masters is usually at level 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'm currently living at home with my parents but I'll be moving into rented accomodation when the course starts, so I'll be an Independent mature student.

So I think I could apply for the full fees grant of up to 6270, but would I be able to claim back to Education, rent supplement at the same time?

Thanks for you help btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I'm currently living at home with my parents but I'll be moving into rented accomodation when the course starts, so I'll be an Independent mature student.

So I think I could apply for the full fees grant of up to 6270, but would I be able to claim back to Education, rent supplement at the same time?

Thanks for you help btw

To be classed as a mature candidate as far as I know, you need to be living independently on the 1st October of the year prior to entry. So if you are starting a course in Sept 2014 for example, SUSI will base your status on where you were living on the 1st of Oct 2013. I'm open to correction on this.

You cant get Back to Education Allowance for a Masters course. Its only available for undergraduate courses and post grad courses up to level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Masters programmes aren't eligible.

As far as I know you can't get rent allowance while you are studying unless you are receiving it before you start the course.

You should apply to SUSI for the fees. They will decide which rate you are eligible to receive.

Advertisement