Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

identifying a semiconductor component

• 17-12-2013 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I have a 3 terminal device that i am trying to identify the specs of so that i can replace it . It looks like a voltage regulator to me. All 3 pins seem to be shorted out (v. low resistance) and it has a n.o on the case 01 k24645.47.

Judging from the circuit I took it from (high voltage side of a power supply board for a comag sl55 sat box) I would guess it's function is regulation. It has a hole for fixing to a large heatsink (which produced alot of heat so probably large current) but the entire case is plastic and does not have the metal plate on the back which (usually) rests against the heatsink.

I tried googling the part no. but all i can see is that it is possibly an N-channel MOSFET. That is to say all i can find in a search is results showing k2645 without the rest of the no. and so cannot find any specifics.

Got any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It might be helpful to trace the tracks and connections of associated components on the board and draw that part of the circuit diagram .......

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

That would be kind of hard to do and it probably wouldn't mean a whole lot to me. Think i'll just try taking a rough guess at a suitable regulator and keep well back:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    That would be kind of hard to do and it probably wouldn't mean a whole lot to me. Think i'll just try taking a rough guess at a suitable regulator and keep well back:eek:

You don't even know if its a regulator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 jason2010

Hi,
    Does it have a metal top with a place for a screw to screw it down onto the board ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Others might be able to make a more informed guess at the component if you posted the diagram .... but up to you ;)

• Advertisement

I'm taking a guess that it's a regulator. No it doesn't have a metal back for screwing down but it does have the hole to fix to a heatsink but its all plastic case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Like any of these ?

I'm taking a guess that it's a regulator. No it doesn't have a metal back for screwing down but it does have the hole to fix to a heatsink but its all plastic case.

Get some pics up we can have a look at

Is it the same as this pic?

power1.jpg

Chet that's the very one alright, screwed to the heatsink at the bottom right of the picture.

Since you have the picture up I was wondering if you knew the value of the resistor under C1 as it is blown and I cant determin its value (plus im no good with colours anyway).

What I find strange about this circuit is that there is a bigger transformer than the ones shown, over on the other side of the heatsink but this is after the bridge rectifier so how can a transformer work ton DC current - is it being used as a large inductor?

Many thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

gctest50,

I don't see it in that pic but possibly the one on the left middle row - i cant be sure.

Here's a photo of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What I find strange about this circuit is that there is a bigger transformer than the ones shown, over on the other side of the heatsink but this is after the bridge rectifier so how can a transformer work ton DC current - is it being used as a large inductor?

They usually go a bit like this :

[230v AC] -----> DC ----> High Frequency ----> transformer ----> 

rect/reg/feedback-------> out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

By the looks of it the component you're trying to identify is tasked with chopping up the rectified and smoothed mains voltage - about 380VDC usually. Could be a mosfet or bi-polar transistor.

The resistor in the picture above is 650 ohms 5% tolerance, by it's size I'd guess at a 1watt type.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/fuji/2SK2645.pdf

Probably anything at all from an old SMPS will do the job as a replacement, But its quite likely there are a ton of other components blown also.

I think you would be better off replacing the whole thing.

Advertisement