Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey; Where to begin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Damn this thread. Made me want some decent whiskey.

I have a dilemma you see. In my drinks cabinet currently sits a bottle of blackbush and a bottle of Middleton.

It was my daughters first birthday so I had a double Middleton. Soooo nice.

However it's incredibly hard to justify drinkin that normally.

However blackbush doesn't seem appropriate for Xmas so I'm goin to buy one of my favourite whiskeys later when I do the shoppin.

http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256410088

Bushmills 10 year

I can't recommend this whiskey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When people say "a drop of water" with their whiskey how much are we talking exactly? About the same as the measure of whiskey?

That is entirely down to taste.
    Some will literally use a few drops others half/half whiskey/water.
    Thing to remember is that once you put water in a whiskey, you can't take it out so start with a tiny bit, taste, add a tiny bit more, taste etc.
    Nothing worse that buying a shot of good whiskey and "drowning" it to the point that the flavour is too dilute to really enjoy.
    In most whiskeys I probably use about a 5:1 whiskey:water.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smurfjed wrote: »
    I have 3 bottles of MURPHYS IRISH WHISKEY waiting for me at home.

http://www.theliquorbarn.com/murphys-750ml/?src=prn#write_review

Purchase price was cheap, shipping and import duties have turned it into about 80 Euro per bottle... ouch.

According to here
    The whiskey was a competitor of Dunphy's and latterly targeted for use in the Irish Coffee market in the US. This inexpensive blend would be described as a 'light and refreshing whiskey',

4755786815_3c12eb4abd.jpg

80 euro for Irish coffee whiskey? Ouch indeed! :(

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Actually it tastes great in Irish Coffee :):) The empty bottles will go onto the shelves of a Scruffy Murphys bar somewhere off in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

cuculainn wrote: »
    Anyone ever try the highland black 8 year from aldi?

had it the other night and its not half bad and only 13 euro!!!
    I have some of that now, though it was about €17, not €13. (It's £13 in the UK now.)

I'm not usually a drinker of Scotch (or indeed any spirits), but I took a punt on this one, and was pretty impressed straight away. Then I looked it up online, and see that it's been winning awards, beating far more expensive tipplies in blind taste tests. It's probably not going to make me a Scotch drinker, though - and I'm from Scotland.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

cuculainn wrote: »
    Anyone ever try the highland black 8 year from aldi?

had it the other night and its not half bad and only 13 euro!!!
    bnt wrote: »
    I have some of that now, though it was about €17, not €13. (It's £13 in the UK now.)

I'm not usually a drinker of Scotch (or indeed any spirits), but I took a punt on this one, and was pretty impressed straight away. Then I looked it up online, and see that it's been winning awards, beating far more expensive tipplies in blind taste tests. It's probably not going to make me a Scotch drinker, though - and I'm from Scotland.

Had some of this with my brother inlaw over Christmas. Was quite nice.

Advertisement