Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prima Tech Vaccinator

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I dragged myself out of the dark ages and bought an Prima Tech Vaccinator earlier this year. I used it first in anger yesterday giving the ewes and ewe lambs Cydectin to prevent scab. Previously I would have used a syringe and needle. Feck me, this is like the difference between night & day.

I would highly recommend one of them to anyone. Only had the 50ml bottle of Cydectin but I flew through the job, no refilling necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

I dragged myself out of the dark ages and bought an Prima Tech Vaccinator earlier this year. I used it first in anger yesterday giving the ewes and ewe lambs Cydectin to prevent scab. Previously I would have used a syringe and needle. Feck me, this is like the difference between night & day.

I would highly recommend one of them to anyone. Only had the 50ml bottle of Cydectin but I flew through the job, no refilling necessary.

Do they have a tube connector to the bottle? The new Covexin ones the bottle connects directly to the vaccinator like a whole new world, would love to get something similar for closamectin/cydectin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

No tubes Cran, it's a one entire unit job. There is a spike on the vaccinator you stick the bottle onto and two clips inside a cup like see through plastic holder, works very well.

This is the one I bought:
    http://magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0227&cat=21

There are different sized cup holders come with it for larger or smaller bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Conmaicne,
    The injector gun you bought, is it all plastic, or is the nipple the needle go'es onto made of steel?
    Had a couple of the freebie type ones you get with the drug, but they are very flimsy. They always seem to break at the nipple.

Seems to be metal encased in plastic, with the metal nut over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That looks like a good job, thanks. Would make vaccinating etc. a much handier job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

Have one of them with a year now some job alright. Don't get rid of all the hardship though or it wont feel like farming anymore:D:D

foxylock wrote: »
    Have one of them with a year now some job alright. Don't get rid of all the hardship though or it wont feel like farming anymore:D:D

I have would have to make serious inroads to even come within an asses roar of that statement :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Have one here as well makes the job very fast, great tool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

These look handy but do they only take a 100 ml bottle. What about if you were giving trodax from a 250ml bottle.

These look handy but do they only take a 100 ml bottle. What about if you were giving trodax from a 250ml bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Prima tech make great stuff to last, would highly recommend them

There is also a 250ml cup to fit 250ml bottles.

Now, that said, when I was ordering mine I also happened to be ordering 250ml of Trodax, and the Trodax rep happened to be standing beside the guy on the phone. He insisted on sending me a free trodax gun. If you make your case you should get a free one too, tell, don't ask, tell who ever you're buying it off to ring the rep and get you a free vaccinator.

I haven't used the Trodax gun. I think the Prima Tech is a better job. I don't like the tube etc, will need three hands. Here's a photo.

There is also a 250ml cup to fit 250ml bottles.

Now, that said, when I was ordering mine I also happened to be ordering 250ml of Trodax, and the Trodax rep happened to be standing beside the guy on the phone. He insisted on sending me a free trodax gun. If you make your case you should get a free one too, tell, don't ask, tell who ever you're buying it off to ring the rep and get you a free vaccinator.

I haven't used the Trodax gun. I think the Prima Tech is a better job. I don't like the tube etc, will need three hands. Here's a photo.

Thanks the prima tech looks better. The problem with the trodax gun is you have to hang the bottle round your neck and probably pull the head of yourself at some point trying to reach an awkward ewe. The prima tech won't have that problem.
    It looks stronger too.

I will have to look at the trodax bottle again, I can't remember seeing any way to hang it from my neck. There might be in fairness, I just didn't notice. I'd say get the trodax gun regardless, if anything happens to the prima tech at least the other would get you out of a jam if it was knocking around. No argument the prima tech handles and looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have a prima tech one here thrown up in the shelf as I found the bottles were leaking, and considering each ml was costing €2 I considered it a bit too high on the wastage. the needle going up into the bottle was just too big and awkward, havnt bother looking at it since so it could be all my own fault

I have a prima tech one here thrown up in the shelf as I found the bottles were leaking, and considering each ml was costing €2 I considered it a bit too high on the wastage. the needle going up into the bottle was just too big and awkward, havnt bother looking at it since so it could be all my own fault

Interesting, did you pre-pierce the bottle with a needle before putting it onto the spike on the gun?

I had to rewrite this bit, previous phrasing was funny if not very unfortunate :D Anyway, the ring that controls the position of the bottle, was that tightened properly? Might be an issue somewhere there?

I had 30 ewes to do at 1.2ml and 10 lambs to do at 1ml so combined total of 46ml, couple of squirts wasted initially to figure the yoke out, and had a tiny bit left in the 50ml bottle of Cydectin.

Advertisement