Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different English accents

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

there are so many English accents not only in general, but also even only in Ireland. I realised, there different accents and pronounciations even in the same County. For example in County Kerry, as for me, the accent in Killerney is clearer than in Tralee, isn't it? At least for a non-native.
    Now, I would like to diskuss irish accents and pronounciations. Which one would you concider the most understandable, which the least understandable.
    Is the average Dublin accent the most understandable and the Cork one the least understandable?
    It would be very interesting to hear opinions of both native and non-native speakers.
    As for me, Dublin accent is the most understandable not only among irish accents but also probably among almost all English accents in the world. And I consider Tralee accent the least understandable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

If you think a Dublin accent is the most understandable your either from there or not right in the head....Says the Cork man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Minden olyan 'európai' ember, aki nem beszél legalább három dialektusok a magyar nyelvet, mire ő húsz éves, nem lehet úgy tekinteni, mint a jól képzett.

Emil László-Kordai

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

loves wrote: »
    As for me, Dublin accent is the most understandable

Depends on which Dublin accent you're talking about. Southside Dubliners sometimes find Northsiders hard to understand, for example.

Thick bogger accents in general are probably the most difficult for civilised people to understand.

Cork city: grand.
    Backarse of Cork county: may as well be a different language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

dont forget the donegal accent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Depends on which Dublin accent you're talking about. Southside Dubliners sometimes find Northsiders hard to understand, for example.

Thick bogger accents in general are probably the most difficult for civilised people to understand.

Cork city: grand.
    Backarse of Cork county: may as well be a different language.
    Loads of Dublin accents. e.g.
    skanger druggie popular for radio ads advertising insurance,
    salt of the earth types when talking ****e about 1913 or life in the inner city tenements
    Dublin Trade Union "point of order chairman" accent
    Finglas talking through their nose accents
    Foxrock talking through their arse accent

• Advertisement
Advertisement