Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple where conditions in SQL

Options
  • 17-12-2013 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have a stored procedure (MS SQL Server) that selects data. The where clause has a parameter @LOCATION. I pass the value of location from my front end (VB.NET).

A change was requested to allow the user to select multiple locations and filter accordingly.

I've thought about creating multiple @LOCATION parameters (@LOC1, @LOC2 etc) and modifying the where clause to only use the ones that are not blank. I think I could do this, but it seems like one of those things that there has to be a better solution for!

What if I had 50 possible locations....the SP would be a nightmare!

So what are the other solutions out there???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have a stored procedure (MS SQL Server) that selects data. The where clause has a parameter @LOCATION. I pass the value of location from my front end (VB.NET).

A change was requested to allow the user to select multiple locations and filter accordingly.

I've thought about creating multiple @LOCATION parameters (@LOC1, @LOC2 etc) and modifying the where clause to only use the ones that are not blank. I think I could do this, but it seems like one of those things that there has to be a better solution for!

What if I had 50 possible locations....the SP would be a nightmare!

So what are the other solutions out there???

Thanks

SELECT column_name(s)
    FROM table_name
    WHERE column_name IN (value1,value2,...);

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think this is your only option. I cant think of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Budawanny wrote: »
    SELECT column_name(s)
    FROM table_name
    WHERE column_name IN (value1,value2,...);

If I was doing inline SQL then this would be easy. But I've to declare the parameters in a procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If I was doing inline SQL then this would be easy. But I've to declare the parameters in a procedure.

Is this for school / college or for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't know if it's an option for you, but you could always send the entire query from your front end instead of using a stored procedure.

Then you could have:
    SELECT column_name
    FROM table_name
    WHERE column_name IN (<placeholder>)

Which would allow you to replace <placeholder> with any string.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

can you not pass in an array?? or does that ansi standard not work in SQL server or have you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can't really parameterise an IN clause. If you can, perhaps change the statement to LINQ, or if you're really stuck you can call the SQL directly from the script.

If you have to use the sproc, there are options;

Pass an XML parameter: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1069311/passing-an-array-of-parameters-to-a-stored-procedure
    Pass in a CSV list and then split it inside the sproc: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11102358/how-to-pass-an-array-into-a-sql-server-stored-procedure

You can possibly also call the sproc once for every location that's selected. You can then filter out duplicates in the code, or you could possibly use the UNION ALL statement to do it for you (I haven't tested that though). That's a fairly messy one though and performance will take a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can you not just send the locations via front end, so that it sends "Location='Loc1' OR Location='Loc2'" and the procedure is amended to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

If you're using MS-SQL, you can create a table value parameter. You define a new type in SQL which is an array of locations, populate the array in your client side code and then pass the array into the SP or parameter. Then you can use WHERE IN to you hearts content.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Can you not just send the locations via front end, so that it sends "Location='Loc1' OR Location='Loc2'" and the procedure is amended to fit?

Wouldn't this be open to SQL injection attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Or pass it in as XML and decode it into a @table in sql, use a join to this table instead of a where clause.

For an example :- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15128999/passing-xml-string-parameter-to-sql-server-stored-procedure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

You could pass in a long string containing all the possible values, append that to a variable containing the rest of the SQL statement and execute it using EXEC. This is the easiest way to do it but not as elegant as Viper123's solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

This is what I do:

Pass in a parameter to the stored procedure as a varchar(max). That will be just a string with all the items separated by a comma e.g. 'location1,location2,location3,location4'

Then in the stored procedure I extract the items into a table using a function as per below.

Call that function into your stored procedure to get back a table variable e.g.
    declare @tempTable table (location varchar(50))

insert @tempTable (location )
    select * from dbo.SplitCommaSeperatedListIntoTable(@locations)

Then use that @temptable to join against whatever other tables you want into your sql select query.

--Function
    create FUNCTION [dbo].[SplitCommaSeperatedListIntoTable] (@List As varchar(max))
    RETURNS @Items table (Item int)
    AS

BEGIN
    DECLARE @Item As varchar(8000), @Pos As int
    WHILE DATALENGTH(@List)&gt;0
    BEGIN
    SET @Pos=CHARINDEX(',',@List)
    IF @Pos=0 SET @Pos=DATALENGTH(@List)+1
    SET @Item = LTRIM(RTRIM(LEFT(@List,@Pos-1)))
    IF @Item&lt;>'' INSERT INTO @Items SELECT @Item
    SET @List=SUBSTRING(@List,@Pos+DATALENGTH(','),len(@List))
    END
    RETURN
    END

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

markpb wrote: »
    If you're using MS-SQL, you can create a table value parameter. You define a new type in SQL which is an array of locations, populate the array in your client side code and then pass the array into the SP or parameter. Then you can use WHERE IN to you hearts content.

Wouldn't this be open to SQL injection attacks?
    Yeah suppose so, I should have added that I'm not an experienced coder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks for all the replies!

This is an actual application, not college work. I am a hobbyist coder turned part time developer (eek!).

I will read up on the suggested techniques and revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is worth remembering that there may be multiple places where this sproc is called, even from within other sprocs, so making fundamental changes to the parameters which are passed in can cause the rest of the application to fall over.

So solutions which maintain the status quo can be the "best" ones. In this case, the solution where you pass in a CSV list and then split it out can be implemented and any code which just passes a single variable will still work fine.

If you wanted to use XML or another solution, you could set up a second parameter. So something like
    CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.GetLocationDetailsFromId
        @LOCATION int = NULL,
        @LOCATION_LIST XMLDoc = NULL
    AS
        SET NOCOUNT ON; 

-- Validate the parameters.
    IF @LOCATION IS NULL AND @LOCATION_LIST IS NULL
    BEGIN
       PRINT 'ERROR: Missing parameter. Please specify @LOCATION or @LOCATION_LIST.'
       RETURN
    END

IF @LOCATION_LIST IS NULL 
       BEGIN
            -- Get single location
       END
    ELSE
       BEGIN
           -- Get multiple locations
       END

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

This is what I do:

Pass in a parameter to the stored procedure as a varchar(max). That will be just a string with all the items separated by a comma e.g. 'location1,location2,location3,location4'

Then in the stored procedure I extract the items into a table using a function as per below.

Call that function into your stored procedure to get back a table variable e.g.
    declare @tempTable table (location varchar(50))

insert @tempTable (location )
    select * from dbo.SplitCommaSeperatedListIntoTable(@locations)

Then use that @temptable to join against whatever other tables you want into your sql select query.

--Function
    create FUNCTION [dbo].[SplitCommaSeperatedListIntoTable] (@List As varchar(max))
    RETURNS @Items table (Item int)
    AS

BEGIN
    DECLARE @Item As varchar(8000), @Pos As int
    WHILE DATALENGTH(@List)&gt;0
    BEGIN
    SET @Pos=CHARINDEX(',',@List)
    IF @Pos=0 SET @Pos=DATALENGTH(@List)+1
    SET @Item = LTRIM(RTRIM(LEFT(@List,@Pos-1)))
    IF @Item&lt;>'' INSERT INTO @Items SELECT @Item
    SET @List=SUBSTRING(@List,@Pos+DATALENGTH(','),len(@List))
    END
    RETURN
    END

This will work fine so long as there are no commas in the actual search criteria. if there is then you'll have to either encode them or strip them out somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Regards the stack overflow samples for XML; it should be noted that using sp_preparexmldocument will give you a notable performance hit. It is also very much avoidable if you are using any version of SQL Server greater than 2000 (i.e. 2005/2008/2008R2/2012) as XML has been a native type since SQL Server 2005.

Personally, I would either pass in an XML string and use XPath to create a table variable inside your sproc that you can then inner join against for your query (instead of using preparexmldocument). This allows you to throw as many additional location values into the mix as you like.

Or use the aforementioned table based parameter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I kinda hate myself for suggesting this, but sometimes the path of least resistance is the best; if performance/scalability isn't an issue you could always just split up the values on the client side, call the SP once for each value and merge the results.

Advertisement