Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gattuso investigated in Italian match-fixing probe

• 17-12-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭

I hope its not true.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/feedarticle/11112937

ROME, Dec 17 (Reuters) - Former Italy international and AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso is under investigation for alleged match-fixing, Italian media reported on Tuesday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Match fixing in italy? My god :rolleyes:

Half empty stadiums and match fixing popping up every now and then, football is in a but of a state over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Same article :
    Former Lazio, AC Milan and Inter Milan player Cristian Brocchi is also being investigated by the Cremona public prosecutor's office, reports said.
    News agency Ansa reported that the four men arrested overnight were intermediaries between players and those managing illegal betting operations.

would he need the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    would he need the money?

I suppose it goes back to the saying, whats better than 1 Million?

2 Million.

Peoples greed can take over fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Like the OP, I really hope this is not true, I really liked him. He wasn't your typical italian footballer. He liked to graft and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty. He was always full of passion. I would be surprised if it is true but football is a dirty dirty game sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

rarnes1 wrote: »
    would he need the money?

I doubt it. But money does strange things to some people.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I suppose it goes back to the saying, whats better than 1 Million?

2 Million.

Peoples greed can take over fairly easily.

I know but when you're that high profile there's so much to lose.

I could understand guys lower down the chain on small wages in comparison being tempted but lads getting tens of thousands a week at least.

Top players that have lost their money through gambling or whatever might be tempted I guess.

You can't discount intimidation and threats to him or his family either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Very much this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

It would be a real shame. Maybe there was intimidation involved. He is Calabrian and the Ndragheta are a vicious bunch who have more than a passing interest in football. If you can get your hands on an English translation of 'Football Clan' by Raffaele Cantone I would highly recommend it. Explains a lot about the state of the game in Italy and elsewhere and the influence of the various mafia groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

This is the case in Italy unfortunately. I'm still shocked at how people have not heard about how ride match fixing is all over the world, at present there's a match most likely fixed being played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The sad thing in all this is that people will use another scandal in Italian football to attack it with. Having said that, the authorities have been pathetic. How many more scandals do they need before they recognise the need to completely clamp down on corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The sad thing in all this is that people will use another scandal in Italian football to attack it with. Having said that, the authorities have been pathetic. How many more scandals do they need before they recognise the need to completely clamp down on corruption?

It will take Italy at least another 20 to 30 years to get up to speed with the rest of what we may consider to be the more developed countries Europe, regarding corruption (if they do at all). Football is merely a microcosm of the systemic corruption that is rooted in this country, politically and culturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Match fixing allegations in Italy is usually the perfect build up in Italy for a World Cup/European Championships.....they often perform well after one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Despite this happening pretty much, I can't help but wonder that it comes out so often is because Italy is one of the only countries that takes this very serious ?

You're not telling me it doesn't happen in England, Spain, Germany, France,...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Lost all repsect for Gattuso when he shouted into a PSV/Ajax players face when AC Milan barely knocked them out of the CL a few years back. Scummy thing to do. Always whining and moaning as well, goes with being Italian I suppose!! :)
    Joe Jordan should have clocked him that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

klose wrote: »
    Match fixing in italy? My god :rolleyes:

Half empty stadiums and match fixing popping up every now and then, football is in a but of a state over there?

Did you see the Roma Milan game last night by any chance

Well he's denying it anyway, says he'll kill himself on the street if something can be proven. Guessing it's just an odd translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope its not true. Was a big fan of his even when he destroyed United in 07.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Can't see this being true.

When he left Milan he was offered big contracts from MLS, China, Dubai and Russia but turned them all down to play for feck all in Switzerland so he'd be closer to home. Obviously, money isn't his motivator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

In Italy you are also considered Guilty if you don't report it & have knowledge that it is happening. I reckon its that they are looking at, either way its hard to prove or disprove.

Advertisement