Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7" Tablet with HDMI and SD Card - recommendations

Options
  • 17-12-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for a 7" tablet, with good screen and battery life and HDMI and SD card slots.

A Nexus 7 would be the ideal, if it had the two slots.

I have one of the Chinese jobs and it's grand, but the battery life is terrible.

Only budget options I can see are the Hisense Sero Pro or the Tesco Hudl.

Anything coming up on the horizon. Would pay a decent amount for the right machine.

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you can get small cables to allow both of these features fyi. small inconvenience for a serious piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Nexus 7 + this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexus-Slimport-HDMI-adapter-projector/dp/B00DWGB6CU will solve your HDMI needs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Nexus 7 + this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexus-Slimport-HDMI-adapter-projector/dp/B00DWGB6CU will solve your HDMI needs at least.

That's an interesting looking device but there seems to be a few issues with it, reading the Amazon reviews.

I take it some kind of video processing is going on. A straight HDMI port would be better but I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks

you can get small cables to allow both of these features fyi. small inconvenience for a serious piece of kit

Does OTG work straight out of the box on the Nexus 7? From what I can gather it needs an extra piece of software and/or rooting. It's a workaround but not as clean as an SD slot.

Thanks

Well thanks for the help and advice. I've ordered a Nexus 7 2013 32GB

I know it doesn't have the slots I want but you can't argue with the rest of the specs.

I'm going to try one of the Slimport adapters for HDMI and I'll live with 32GB which will just mean a bit of discipline. I'm sure I'll get OTG to work also, which will give another avenue to storage.

It won't be here before Christmas so I'll have to call it a New Year present to myself.

Does OTG work straight out of the box on the Nexus 7? From what I can gather it needs an extra piece of software and/or rooting. It's a workaround but not as clean as an SD slot.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I've just ordered one of those slimport things after seeing this so I'll let you know how it works!

Another option that I've come across after ordering the slimport is a Miracast which is similar to chromecast in that it is wireless BUT it actually mirrors the Nexus screen onto the TV which sounds pretty awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Install airdroid and wirelessly transfer stuff from your PC. No need for SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CinSoots wrote: »
    I've just ordered one of those slimport things after seeing this so I'll let you know how it works!

Another option that I've come across after ordering the slimport is a Miracast which is similar to chromecast in that it is wireless BUT it actually mirrors the Nexus screen onto the TV which sounds pretty awesome :)

Just wondering if you got the slimport yet?

vienne86 wrote: »

No

Ordered one of the cheapies on eBay so I I'll expect it mid January.
    Amazon said the Nexus wouldn't arrive before Christmas but very impressed when it did. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I'll post to let ye know if the slimport works with the Nexus.

Not yet.

• Advertisement

The Slimport adapter arrived the other day. It's smaller than I thought it would be and not much bulkier than the mini HDMI adapter I had to carry around before this.

It mirrors the Nexus screen exactly onto the external screen and seems to work perfectly. The only issue is that there are narrow black bands down the left and right of the screen because the Nexus native resolution is 1920 x 1200, as against standard HD which is only 1080 high.

I'm told rooting the Nexus will allow you to issue a command to force it to fill the screen fully and I may give that a go.

On a separate note, I've tried an OTG USB cable and it works fine with a 32GB USB thumbdrive and the Nexus Media Importer.

So far, so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

USB OTG flash drives now available, does away with the need for USB flash drive and separate OTG cable

http://www.memoryc.com/search.html?q=USB+otg&x=0&y=0

Got the slimport. Works great with the nexus 7 but won't work with the nexus 4 at all. Stays connected for 2 or 3 seconds before disconnecting and i cant figure out why so that's a bit disappointing. Streamed HD movies from the nexus 7 with zero lag.

Bought a Belkin Miracast device yesterday from Expansys. Works with both the Nexus 4 and 7 and a Samsung TV. Streamed HD movies with it from both the nexus 4 and 7. There is a tiny lag, I mean tiny but the further you move away from the TV the more of a lag there is. Realistically you couldnt play games with it because of this but for streaming its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I've a 7" GoTab 740RS brilliant tablet with 3000mah battery HDMI, full USB and SD card. Only complaint is there'sno bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

The Slimport adapter arrived the other day. It's smaller than I thought it would be and not much bulkier than the mini HDMI adapter I had to carry around before this.

It mirrors the Nexus screen exactly onto the external screen and seems to work perfectly. The only issue is that there are narrow black bands down the left and right of the screen because the Nexus native resolution is 1920 x 1200, as against standard HD which is only 1080 high.

I'm told rooting the Nexus will allow you to issue a command to force it to fill the screen fully and I may give that a go.

On a separate note, I've tried an OTG USB cable and it works fine with a 32GB USB thumbdrive and the Nexus Media Importer.

So far, so good.

Hi, if you root, you may want to try Stickmount for your OTG requirements....see below reddit link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/1c0364/stickmount_vs_nexus_media_import/

also there is USB OTG Helper:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.shajul.usbotg&hl=es

jaqian wrote: »
    I've a 7" GoTab 740RS brilliant tablet with 3000mah battery HDMI, full USB and SD card. Only complaint is there'sno bluetooth.

Battery capacity quoted as 3-4 hours though. Not enough. Very impressed with the full size USB port though.

The Nexus would be perfect if it had an SD card slot. I don't really mind the slimport adapter as I had to carry a mini HDMI adapter anyway.

Advertisement