Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries around Lusk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

My neighbours house in Balrothery was also broken into last friday at 6:00 pm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Yes, there have been a lot in the last 3 weeks or so, in particular during the daytime when houses are unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

very scary stuff.
    House alarms, and GOOD LOCKS.
    Best thing though is to keep an eye out for each other.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

From what I hear there is hardly a day goes by without breakins around Rush/Lusk/Skerries and Balbriggan. There is no set time for the break-ins but what I did hear was and I dont know if it is correct but markings are being left on paths to signify if people are at home.

I have found this past while there is a growing fear around about break-ins and anti-social behavior from all sections of the community and sadly very little is being done about it.

I do think there is to much going on that we dont report to Gardái from underage drinking, anti-social behavior and items being taken out of gardens which we just let go. People should phone Gardai at every sight of any problems or strange activity in their areas. If we dont figures will show crime is down so no need for more Gardái.

LeoB wrote: »
    From what I hear there is hardly a day goes by without breakins around Rush/Lusk/Skerries and Balbriggan. There is no set time for the break-ins but what I did hear was and I dont know if it is correct but markings are being left on paths to signify if people are at home.

I have found this past while there is a growing fear around about break-ins and anti-social behavior from all sections of the community and sadly very little is being done about it.

I do think there is to much going on that we dont report to Gardái from underage drinking, anti-social behavior and items being taken out of gardens which we just let go. People should phone Gardai at every sight of any problems or strange activity in their areas. If we dont figures will show crime is down so no need for more Gardái.

I rang the Garda the other day, A van with a person x 2 that I cant say had Irish features, without anyone shouting your a racist. I'm not saying that , but , anyway , maybe it was their national dress that made me think they where not of Irish origin, They drove EXTREMLY slowly past a few houses in Hampton cove, maybe they where looking to see if their friend was home because they drove very slowly and gave each house a very good look.The Garda asked did I get the reg. I didn't, and felt useless. Two kids in the back freighting over SpongeBob V minimouse. Reg was last thing on my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

cathy01 wrote: »
    I didn't, and felt useless. Two kids in the back freighting over SpongeBob V minimouse. Reg was last thing on my mind.

:)

indeed the joys of kids, but one thing to remember is pull out your phone and take a photo, if possible, of anything suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Don't worry lads, Joe Duffy is on the case
    We also hear about the rise in house break ins. 30 houses robbed in Lusk since last Saturday. Have you been affected? Tweet #Liveline...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

kingtiger wrote: »
    I heard some disturbing reports of over thirty break-ins over the last few weeks in the Lusk area
    We also hear about the rise in house break ins. 30 houses robbed in Lusk since last Saturday. Have you been affected? Tweet #Liveline...

Underlined bit with shortened timeframe probably done to add extra sensationalism to the story.

* waves at Joe's researchers *

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just had this from a friend in Lusk (a former mayor of Fingal) -

Just had the Gardaí at the house.
    The elderly couple living next door (Kenure, Rush) had just been robbed at 7.20pm this evening. Description of thief: Man in his 40s, clean appearance, approximately 6' 3" in height, stocky build.
    His MO is that he knocks on the door holding some cash and says he found it on the ground outside the house. He then encourages the person to check their wallet at the door. My neighbour took his wallet out of his pocket to check and the thief then grabbed the wallet and fled.
    According to the Garda, the thief had done the same thing a couple of hours earlier in Mourne View, Skerries. It seems he has targeted these houses rather than it being a random selection.
    The reason the Gardaí called to my house is because I have CCTV and it may have picked him up in my neighbour's driveway. I'm getting the footage downloaded by the chap who installed the CCTV and hopefully it will help to catch the scumbag who has done this.
    Pass the word on to your neighbours to be vigilant, especially the elderly or vulnerable.

That is just so sad.slash jammers go on PVC doors to stop people pushing them open.my brother in law does free evaluations if your homes and will tell you what to do to get safe.
    He is all secure locksmiths.
    Ina even afraid it leave the kids alone in the house and shes. 17 .
    Hope to God they are all rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Paulw wrote: »
    Just had this from a friend in Lusk (a former mayor of Fingal) -

Just had the Gardaí at the house.
    The elderly couple living next door (Kenure, Rush) had just been robbed at 7.20pm this evening. Description of thief: Man in his 40s, clean appearance, approximately 6' 3" in height, stocky build.
    His MO is that he knocks on the door holding some cash and says he found it on the ground outside the house. He then encourages the person to check their wallet at the door. My neighbour took his wallet out of his pocket to check and the thief then grabbed the wallet and fled.
    According to the Garda, the thief had done the same thing a couple of hours earlier in Mourne View, Skerries. It seems he has targeted these houses rather than it being a random selection.
    The reason the Gardaí called to my house is because I have CCTV and it may have picked him up in my neighbour's driveway. I'm getting the footage downloaded by the chap who installed the CCTV and hopefully it will help to catch the scumbag who has done this.
    Pass the word on to your neighbours to be vigilant, especially the elderly or vulnerable.

Exactly this happened to neighbours of my partner's mother last night in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the_wick

Our house was broken into in lambay view, rush last week while we went out for a few hours. It looks like these scumbags are making the most of the gardai cutbacks. It took over an hour for the gardai to arrive from balbriggan. A gold 01 Bmw 3 series was seen near our house with driver acting suspiciously around the time. Insurance person told us a house was broken into on sandy road rush 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

A couple of days before this spate of burglaries in Lusk that the OP mentioned we had a gang of travellers arrive in the estate (in Lusk) looking to give away 'top quality pillows'/.

They were walking around knocking on doors and practically throwing the pillows ("hotel quality so they are") in the front door in an attempt to engage with the person who opened the door. Luckily me missus who was home with the children gave it straight back to him and closed the door.

Now why else might they be knocking on doors looking to give away top quality pillows? Anyone>?

The same lot appeared about 2 years ago with the same approach. I saw them that time in the estate. They pulled up in a van and immediately spread out knocking on doors looking to give the good people of Lusk a pillow.

IS this suspicious behaviour or am i being unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Id say its suspicious that they were giving away free stuff I don't know if that makes them burglars though

Actually a photo of a van appeared on Facebook that was doing it rounds .the people where selling furniture i think.my neighbour quickly moved them on .but the picture of the van was shown and was linked to brake ins. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Excellent so the guards have the picture and the offenders have been arrested I hope

Excellent so the guards have the picture and the offenders have been arrested I hope

No idea.sorry but I read in the paper today about the elderly been targeted .its shocking. .
    All we can do is stay alert and if you hear an alarm just pop your head out have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I'm back up in Skerries for Christmas and my parents are freaking me out talking about all the robberies in Lusk and apparently 3 houses broken into in skerries rock last night! , very worrying to hear but not much the Gardai can do the way they are trying to cover such a large area,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Littlelulu13

I lived in Lusk once upon a time and someone passed by the front window and pushed some leaflets through the letterbox. Then the nice gentleman had the decency to check that the door was locked before he disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

While we can all moan about the lack of Gardai, cars, station closures etc.

Here's one where the alleged offenders were caught within 10 minutes

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-due-in-court-after-lusk-and-skerries-robberies-624163.html
    The first incident happened just before 6pm yesterday when a man entered a Supermarket in Lusk and took an undisclosed sum of cash from a cash register.
    He left the scene in a black BMW.

Ten minutes later, two men entered a café in Skerries and demanded cash from an employee. They took an undisclosed amount of money from a cash register.

Gardaí were alerted to both incidents and stopped a black BMW on Selskar Road in Skerries shortly after 6pm.

Well done to the Gardai on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

More break-ins around Rush and Lusk on Thursday and Friday.

This is really not surprising to me as there is a serious under staffing in Fingal Garda stations irrespective of the "spin" and figures put out by any of local reps or Garda press office.. The new recruits due in Templemore wont hit our streets for another 2 years and in the meantime we will have a few more retirements. But don't worry there there will be loads of spin to help us all feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

It's terrible, people feel so unsafe in their own town. Hopefully they are caught soon.

Clearly word got around about targeting the two towns :(

Paybel wrote: »
    It's terrible, people feel so unsafe in their own town. Hopefully they are caught soon.

Clearly word got around about targeting the two towns :(

Last week a guy was delieverying leaflets I watched him wondering why he tried to open porch doors even though they had mail boxes on the wall.he did this with a couple of houses. I let my neighbours know .a few days later one of my neighbours was robbed.
    I can't think why he had to try to open the door the pizza left let would fit in the mail box???

Last week a guy was delieverying leaflets I watched him wondering why he tried to open porch doors even though they had mail boxes on the wall.he did this with a couple of houses. I let my neighbours know .a few days later one of my neighbours was robbed.
    I can't think why he had to try to open the door the pizza left let would fit in the mail box???

I would have rang the gardai straight away! clearly suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Has anyone seen any markings? Especially green spray paint on each pillar? I've noticed that on two houses in Malahide this morning and am about to go to the Gardai about it.

FWIW - If you are delivering a lot of leaflets - it is an awful lot easier to open the door & drop the leaflet in the porch rather than bending down every time to put it through the mail slot.

FWIW - If you are delivering a lot of leaflets - it is an awful lot easier to open the door & drop the leaflet in the porch rather than bending down every time to put it through the mail slot.

If it's on the wall like what @cathy01 said then it's suspicious! Most letter slots are half way up the doors aren't they?

Aye, but even single-sheet flyers can be a pain to push through a slot on a mail box. I know - I've done enough mail drops in my time. You get into a rhythm (so to speak) & if it is dropping them in a porch rather than struggling each time to get it into a mail slot - that's what you do.

It always pays to be vigilant, but sometimes we over-analyse situations too.

• Advertisement

The mail box where wall mounted .

Advertisement