Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy with current work situation

Options
  • 17-12-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm really not happy with how things are happening in my 'department' recently. I use inverted comma because it's not large enough to be called a department as such.

However, some months ago a new person joined the team. We divvied up the work which made my workload much lighter and easier to manage. That person never comes in. I'm supposed to have weekly manager catch-up meetings to address any issues I may be having but my manager never follows through. Half of the time he's never in to do the meetings which is another problem in itself. I'm getting burdened with all the extra projects that the other person was supposed to take on and now I'm back to square one ... the worksplit is basically negated.

I'm getting increasingly angry about it, which is not a good situation. I'm also getting resentful because most of the time I'm here on my own and it's just not good enough. I'm not sure why it's ok for people to stroll in when they feel like it when I'm here working the rostered hours.

I'm not sure how to approach this. I feel my manager isn't the right person to go to as he was meant to implement the changes, hasn't done so and is well aware he hasn't done so. We have a HR person but maybe that's going too far up the chain of command? There is a HR coordinator who could advise? I'm not sure but it really can't go on any more as I need help with all these projects.

I keep getting sucked back into the projects I handed over because the other person on the team isn't in to answer their queries etc. Advice would be extremely welcome as I'm at my wits end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Any feedback at all, readers? I really would appreciate some advice, no matter how small or insignificant you think it may be.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you need to talk to your manager. If he is being lazy or too hands-off, then you need to put it in such a way that he knows that if he pulls his finger out and sorts out this situation, then his life will ultimately be easier because you can then do the work he's given you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for your reply. Would you have any suggestions on how to broach the subject without sounding like I'm moaning?!

I really don't mind the work load but I'm bothered by the fact that there's another person allocated to the department that never shows up. What do they think he's doing on a daily basis when he does come in? When it does get really busy am I going to be landed with more work, because honestly, there's only so much work a person can take on.

As I've mentioned, I don't want to come across like I'm moaning and I'd like to approach this in a professional manner where the outcome is a fair worksplit between us. Also, I'd like to raise my concerns that there's someone working here that isn't being given any of the projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Do you have any holidays left? Take 2 weeks off and then the problems will be obvious. Also wash your hands of any projects that aren't yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

No Pants wrote: »
    Do you have any holidays left? Take 2 weeks off and then the problems will be obvious. Also wash your hands of any projects that aren't yours.

This made me laugh! Where I work you would have to give a couple of months notice to take 2 weeks off, and even then you wouldn't be guaranteed approval, and if you just took off, this would be considered absenteeism (more than 3 days per quarter and the disciplinary process would start.)

Our company makes the Magdalen laundries look like a cussie number!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thank you for your reply. Would you have any suggestions on how to broach the subject without sounding like I'm moaning?!

I really don't mind the work load but I'm bothered by the fact that there's another person allocated to the department that never shows up. What do they think he's doing on a daily basis when he does come in? When it does get really busy am I going to be landed with more work, because honestly, there's only so much work a person can take on.

As I've mentioned, I don't want to come across like I'm moaning and I'd like to approach this in a professional manner where the outcome is a fair worksplit between us. Also, I'd like to raise my concerns that there's someone working here that isn't being given any of the projects.

I know where you're coming from, and you can try and approach it in a subtle way. But if that doesn't work, you'll just have to be more forward given that it's affecting your working day so much.

Perhaps you could suggest a meeting with your boss to formally split the work between you and your absent colleague. You could suggest that both you and the other guy send a weekly update or something like that.

This made me laugh! Where I work you would have to give a couple of months notice to take 2 weeks off, and even then you wouldn't be guaranteed approval, and if you just took off, this would be considered absenteeism (more than 3 days per quarter and the disciplinary process would start.)

Our company makes the Magdalen laundries look like a cussie number!!!:D
    That's not right either. I couldn't work somewhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

No Pants wrote: »
    That's not right either. I couldn't work somewhere like that.

In fairness, in most workplaces you have to give notice if you want to take time off. My own office needs at least a months notice if you're taking 1 week or more off as they have to organise handover of work and cover.

OP, you need to talk to your manager. It's not moaning if you're just pointing out that work isn't being done due to your colleagues absence. So long as you're not saying things like "it's not fair that I'm working when my colleague is not" but instead "the company is losing out on time/costs/reputation due to x not doing their work" then it should be fine.

Also, you need to stop covering for your colleague (don't answer questions about projects that your colleague is managing, just refer everyone back to your colleague saying "you need to talk to x, they're managing that project". As long as the work is being done then your manager has no motivation to sort the problem out!

nibtrix wrote: »
    In fairness, in most workplaces you have to give notice if you want to take time off. My own office needs at least a months notice if you're taking 1 week or more off as they have to organise handover of work and cover.
    There's no "they" were I am. I'm expected to arrange my own cover and handover.

Advertisement