Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb this down for me

Options
  • 17-12-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,
    We are moving into the centre of Dublin and I want to make my home into a fortress. Security cameras, motion sensors.....you name it! We are doing a big rennovation and I'm wondering about how much a job like that would cost? where does that Homewatch thing fit into it too. I'm talking, three security cameras btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There's no information there to give you any idea on costing.
    What system do you want to install?
    What features would you like?
    How big is the house going to be?
    How many cameras? IP or analogue?
    Do you want cctv monitoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hotpotato

KoolKid wrote: »
    There's no information there to give you any idea on costing.
    What system do you want to install?
    What features would you like?
    How big is the house going to be?
    How many cameras? IP or analogue?
    Do you want cctv monitoring?

Thanks for your response: I guess I should rephrase to ask what are the different options out there.
    I don't understand what the different systems are.
    The house will be 2,500 sq foot
    Would like a camera at front gate, front door, back door and back gate.
    Would like to be able to view feed from these cameras both upstairs and downstairs. I don't know what IP means!
    Would like motion sensors everywhere.
    Would like to know opinions on CCTV monitoring. Is it expensive? Is it a tot waste of money?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

hotpotato wrote: »
    Thanks for your response: I guess I should rephrase to ask what are the different options out there.
    I don't understand what the different systems are.
    Ok, if this is a big renovation job you are obviousally going to be wiring the whole place, so get everywhere wired for the alarm.
    Beware of lazy builders saying you can use wireless. Wired is always preferred on an application like this.
    Either of these 2 systems would be your best option.

Would like a camera at front gate, front door, back door and back gate.
    Would like to be able to view feed from these cameras both upstairs and downstairs. I don't know what IP means!

All this is possible on most CCTV systems. Also remote viewing inside or outside the house would be possible using smart phones, tablets etc..
    IP cameras are digital cameras with imaging transmitted over an IP network using Cat5 or Cat 6 cable. The cameras are more expensive but can be much better quality.
    Would like motion sensors everywhere.
    Do you mean on the alarm or for CCTV?
    Would like to know opinions on CCTV monitoring. Is it expensive? Is it a tot waste of money?

CCTV monitoring is expensive for a domestic application, it averages a few thousand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hotpotato

Thanks so much for your reply.

Sorry, don't understand what two systems you mean here.

I meant motion sensors for the alarm.

When you say CCTV do you mean a human is watching at all times at the other end? If that costs a few thousand think we'd leave it.

You sound like you know what your on about-have already learned loads thanks!

Sorry, don't understand what two systems you mean here.

Click the link...

• Advertisement
Advertisement