Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working crazy hours, with no extra pay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Thats what im worried about, him taking a nose dive in an armored truck with two tonnes of banking coins in the back when he falls asleep doing 100 on the motorway after 15 hours of driving on 5 hours sleep :(
    Hopefully the boss sees sense after Christmas, and gets some more drivers.

Congrats on your expected new arrival.

I can't imagine that the company's customers would be happy that employees are over-worked and stressed. That's when mistakes happen.

I can't imagine any of the larger financial institutions being customers - they couldn't allow these practices to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

blindsider wrote: »
    Congrats on your expected new arrival.

I can't imagine that the company's customers would be happy that employees are over-worked and stressed. That's when mistakes happen.

I can't imagine any of the larger financial institutions being customers - they couldn't allow these practices to occur.

Mistakes have already happened - the other two staff members are much older than my partner, and making mistakes since the workload increased.
    As for larger financial institutions, you'd be very unpleasantly surprised by what way they deal with things...

In any case, he's bringing it up directly after the holidays when the boss is planning on expanding to a new county. So hopefully this means he does in fact have money to pay the odd 2k my partner is owed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

As for larger financial institutions, you'd be very unpleasantly surprised by what way they deal with things...

Sadly...no...I'd imagine they couldn't give half of two hoots whether or not your hubbies boss is running him into the ground, as long as he's doing it cheaply

:mad:

wexie wrote: »
    Sadly...no...I'd imagine they couldn't give half of two hoots whether or not your hubbies boss is running him into the ground, as long as he's doing it cheaply

:mad:

Just got off the phone to him, he wont be back to base until 11pm at the earliest, not factoring in the weather. Thats a total of 17 hours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Is he is on motorways most of the time? He could be getting a bit of kip in one of the layby's - 30 minutes and then be on his way, then stop in a petrol station for a coffee. Worked for me on long drives cross country:o

I understand where other people are coming from when they say he should avoid coming across as a whinger, but we are talking about someone operating heavy machinery for hours on end with feck all sleep. I'd ask him to calm it down a bit personally and take the odd 30 minutes here and there to recharge a bit. Feck getting there on time like, this is Ireland ffs :pac:

My 2 cents is that doing what he is doing once in a while or even for a few days in a row is fine but to be at it since August with only a hazy notion of when its going to end isn't worth the risks IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Bepolite wrote: »
    A good manager will push as far as he can

No, an experienced manager takes into account the cost / benefit versus the considerable contribution staff welfare, morale and loyalty benefit to the business.

Is he is on motorways most of the time? He could be getting a bit of kip in one of the layby's - 30 minutes and then be on his way, then stop in a petrol station for a coffee. Worked for me on long drives cross country:o

I understand where other people are coming from when they say he should avoid coming across as a whinger, but we are talking about someone operating heavy machinery for hours on end with feck all sleep. I'd ask him to calm it down a bit personally and take the odd 30 minutes here and there to recharge a bit. Feck getting there on time like, this is Ireland ffs :pac:

My 2 cents is that doing what he is doing once in a while or even for a few days in a row is fine but to be at it since August with only a hazy notion of when its going to end isn't worth the risks IMO.

He transports money and expensive valuables, and is fully monitored on camera. He cant even spend more than 5 minutes away from thw truck to get a coffee without his boss asking whats going on. Also as a result hes on a tight time schedule, banks are very specific about when they do and dont want him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Mistakes have already happened - the other two staff members are much older than my partner, and making mistakes since the workload increased.

In any case, he's bringing it up directly after the holidays when the boss is planning on expanding to a new county. So hopefully this means he does in fact have money to pay the odd 2k my partner is owed :rolleyes:

Bad 'management' won't change, you are wasting your time speaking to them, and he'll be older some day too.
    There is no point putting yourself on 'managements' so called radar as a so called touble maker.
    I would be on the look out for another job, until then stick it out. It's much easier to get a job when you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

He transports money and expensive valuables, and is fully monitored on camera. He cant even spend more than 5 minutes away from thw truck to get a coffee without his boss asking whats going on. Also as a result hes on a tight time schedule, banks are very specific about when they do and dont want him there.

Ah crap - Everything about that post gives me a sad :(

He should def talk to the boss in that case - feckin' dangerous to be doing that all the time.

Ah crap - Everything about that post gives me a sad :(

He should def talk to the boss in that case - feckin' dangerous to be doing that all the time.

I know, ive had to stop nagging him because I know there isnt much he can do right now save quit! Hes picked up on me getting upset on the phone so hes going to mention to the boss tonight that he cant work this late any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I frequently get worried that he is on the road for such a long time without even a break to eat sandwiches. AFAIK he is supposed to have a tacograph and legally cannot drive for 15 or 16 hours straight. The boss has ignored two instances of this being brought to his attention, and now with one man leaving (he has dropped hints that he will not be working his notice if he doesn't get paid for the hours he is owed) my partner is very worried that he will be expected to work even longer.
    Consider getting a friend to report the company to the relevant authorities? But I'm thinking palms are greased with brown envelopes to look the other way :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

unfortunately, id say, keep an exact record, then wait until a day after a year, then swing into action as you gain more employee rights then.

He's bringing it up in work tonight, but there was a slightly larger amount of wages in the account this week than there is normally, and it seems to correspond quite well with last week's overtime. It's definitely not a Christmas bonus, as that has been promised cash in hand.

All the same he intends to press for a regulation of hours and at the very least gradual compensation for the overtime he has already worked. He plans to make it clear he is content to continue working irregular Christmas hours, with a deadline for intended contracted hours shortly after.

Hopefully it all goes according to plan. My partner doesn't think this is a sneaky attempt at slave labour or anything, he is more inclined to think this could be utter naivety and the bossman simply getting too far ahead of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It's definitely not a Christmas bonus, as that has been promised cash in hand.

All the same he intends to press for a regulation of hours

Dunno, if your excepting a cash bonus in hand (i.e. not taxed?) your kinda screwing yourself over for regulation.

Dunno, if your excepting a cash bonus in hand (i.e. not taxed?) your kinda screwing yourself over for regulation.

I'm not expecting anything. In any case, the extra money was overtime and it looks as though he is freezing the hours worked overtime to date to be used in the new year for holidays, and in future it will go into wages.
    New staff member has come in and my OH has been asked to train him, so hopefully things will let up after Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Jeez I had a brain fart, meant accepting*

Sorry about that! :P

It's common for some industries to get really busy around this time of the year and the staff are expected to adjust, at least it looks like it's getting sorted. :)

Jeez I had a brain fart, meant accepting*

Sorry about that! :P

It's common for some industries to get really busy around this time of the year and the staff are expected to adjust, at least it looks like it's getting sorted. :)

Yeah, the unfortunate problem was this started at the end of August, Christmas can't be used as an excuse! But as you say, it's getting sorted. Hopefully a permanent solution :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

myshirt wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem. What a very strange post.

Step back, pause, and assess the situation. There is absolutely no problem.

You are working off a factory-line, or public sector, mentality. That thinking is more suited to a time gone by; conceived for a different time, a labour intensive low skilled repetitive task economy even.

Wages based on hourly rates or piece rates are not appropriate for the knowledge economy, or high skilled jobs. Your husband is due no hours. He is just going through a busy time.

So you consider working 70 to 80 hours but being paid for 40 okay then :rolleyes:

While theres some argument in what your saying about the modern way of doing things - one must look at things like what is been paid for the 40 hour week.

In other words does what is been paid for the 40 hour week reflect the fact that the REAL working week is getting on much more then that.

I mean if the wages for 40 hours are twice the norm for a 40 hour week in that job - the boss could argue hes giving a wage that reflects the hours that need to be done.

But I don't think that's the case here tbh - just sounds like a boss who expects a lot more then is reasonable from his staff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

SeaDaily wrote: »
    I wouldnt reply to myshirt if I were you. He's just trying to wind you up and will not offer any meaningful advice. Don't feed the troll.

My apologies - I have indeed fed the troll :( was just going through the tread now - and couldn't resist replying :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yeah, the unfortunate problem was this started at the end of August, Christmas can't be used as an excuse! But as you say, it's getting sorted. Hopefully a permanent solution :o
    That is when Christmas season starts for manufacturers though; our peak season is September for number of trucks we use and we're a very large international company as we spend 3+ months stocking up for the run up, and Christmas weekend. The large food companies like Tesco etc. will start expecting Easter stuff in their warehouses in January etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement