Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Ferry Routes to France and Spain!

• 17-12-2013 1:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/new-ferry-service-to-france-and-spain-1.1625484
    A newferry service will connect Irish travellers with St Nazaire on the west coast of France and Gijón in northern Spain.
    The service, which will be operated by LD Services, will operate on a weekly basis from Rosslare, Co. Wexford. The French route will depart Rosslare at 9pm on a Friday, returning on a Wednesday with a 23.59 departure time from St. Nazaire. Online booking will be available from tomorrow, with the route commencing on January 5th 2014.

Good news for bikers, a bit more choice now. Handy for getting the ferry directly to northern spain and maybe go ride the twistys up in the Pyrenees - without having to traverse france on motorways.

Maps:
    Gijon and St Nazaire

The full route to Spain is not up yet but its €170 to get to France with a motorbike return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Arrive St Nazaire, depart Gijon would be a good trip maybe, with Pryenees in the middle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Good prices, it's a pity that you have to make two bookings to bring two bikes though. Two people and a car is substantially cheaper than two people and two bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There has been a St Nazaire - Gijon service in place for some years now.
    So it's unclear if the ferry from Ireland continues to Gijon after a stopover in St N. or if passengers have to transfer to the Spain ferry. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I assumed from the other articles I read that it would be a stopover and then directly on to Spain. It would be a good trip riding from one place to another with the Pyranese in the middle. Not sure about dates etc and how long you'd need to spend.

Just had a closer look on the website:
    It's the same vessel, the "Scintu" and the Rosslare sailing on Friday fits in with the Friday sailing from St N.
    39 hours to Spain seems tolerable but 48.5 hours on the return!
    I did 30+ hours Portsmouth - Spain once with P&O which passed very pleasantly. But 48 hours? Yikes!

Timetable: gijon-rosslare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

48 Hours! Ouch! You'd go bananas, I'm guessing there is very little to do on that boat. Maybe get the boat to france, ride down and around the pyrenees, then back up and get the boat back from there. Suppose it depends on timetables etc. It's 22 hours to Saint-Nazaire, a lot more manageable.

Big Boards Bike Trip anyone?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Guys,

I am unashamedly plugging these guys, if you really need to start your biking holiday some place far away...then this option is a no brainer...

http://www.overlanders.ie/

Ask for Derek or Dave, you will not be disappointed...(be quick, as they are off to South America for a few weeks...with some very excited biker buddies...),

QDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Mike,
    Have you used their service so?

Eoin

Did anyone use the Rosslare - Gijon service?

I'm curious to know exactly how long the stopover in St Nazaire was in each direction. I seem to remember the website saying 10hours stopover in the return, G-R, direction.
    (I am aware service is now suspended)

Advertisement