Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing mechanical rotary timer with electronic unit

• 17-12-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,

Want to replace the old style 24hr rotary timer with a modern 7 day timer so I can have different heating settings for weekdays and weekends. Timer currently controls the gas boiler with the heating thermostat located in the hall. No multiple zones or separate water heating functions.

Is the swap out a simple enough job or should I be getting a qualified tradesman in to do the work? I'm happy enough working with wiring/cabling etc. and if it's just a case of swapping the wiring from one unit to the other it should be handy enough.

Cheers,
    H.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The wiring will be slightly different, but following the manual it's not rocket science, ask in your local plumbers for a single channel 7 day programmer, and take it from there. Return with any questions once your ready to go!

If you boiler is due a service, most good servicemen would fit this for you for a small (if handy i don't usually charge) extra fee when there for your service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

DGOBS,

Similarly, could a 7 day timed thermostat be used to replace just a thermostat (and bypass the original mechanical timer)?
    So you'd have a timer with thermostatic control in place of each of the original thermostats?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but wiring will be different. Not sure how power supply would be provided though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hatcho

DGOBS wrote: »
    The wiring will be slightly different, but following the manual it's not rocket science, ask in your local plumbers for a single channel 7 day programmer, and take it from there. Return with any questions once your ready to go!

If you boiler is due a service, most good servicemen would fit this for you for a small (if handy i don't usually charge) extra fee when there for your service

Thanks for the reply - I'll scehdule a service for the boiler in the new year and get the 'man who can' to fit the new timer at the same time. I'm thinking of fitting thermostatic valves to the rads as well as we are heating relatively unused rooms when the heating clicks in. Bit of a waste of energy...

Thanks again,
    H.

Advertisement