Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I close my account?

Options
  • 17-12-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, there 
    I want to close my account around 15th of Jan and I am going back to my country at 17th of Jan permanently.
    I can't close my account before that day.
    How can I close my account?
    Do I have to go to bank? Do I have enough time to close it during one day?
    How long does it take my account to be closed ?
    What documents/ID card do I have to bring so as to close it? 
    What would happen if I didn't close it and leave the country?
    I want to send the money in my account to my family's account in my country.
    How can I send it ? the process is complicated (sending money account abroad)
    My bank is debit visa card.  

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi mango92,

Thanks for your post.

To close your account, simply call into your local branch with valid photo ID and a representative will be more than happy to assist you with this. The branch can arrange to transfer the remaining balance to an account of your choice. Please ensure to have the IBAN (International Bank Account Number), BIC (Bank Identifier Code) and the name on the account with you.

If you didn't close the account, it would remain open but would be subject to the quarterly maintenance fee of €5 and transaction fees for any transactions that go through the account. 

Thanks and good luck with your move.
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mango92

Hi mango92,

Thanks for your post.

To close your account, simply call into your local branch with valid photo ID and a representative will be more than happy to assist you with this. The branch can arrange to transfer the remaining balance to an account of your choice. Please ensure to have the IBAN (International Bank Account Number), BIC (Bank Identifier Code) and the name on the account with you.

If you didn't close the account, it would remain open but would be subject to the quarterly maintenance fee of €5 and transaction fees for any transactions that go through the account. 

Thanks and good luck with your move.
    Tara
    When the branch arrange to transfer the remaining balance to another account of a foreign bank, how much is the transaction/trasferring fee? Do you charge ? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Mango 

If you are transferring these funds within the Euro Zone, there will be no charge for the foreign transfer. Although, you may incur a transaction charge of 20cents. Your branch will debit any transaction charges or fees before processing the transfer.

If the funds are being transferred outside the Euro Zone, a charge is applied. The amount of the charge depends on the amount of funds that is being transferred. To see how this is calculated, please see here on page 4 of our International Transaction Charges Brochure.

Alternatively, you can also contact your branch here , a representative will be happy to answer any questions relating to the above.

I hope this information helps. If we can help you with any further queries, please do let us know.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement